• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EF 500mm f/4L IS USM (1 Viewer)

Pigeon_Pete

I want to rent a lens for my trip to Mull next month, is the Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS USM a good choice ? I already own a 100-400mm and 7D.

Thanks

Chas

Ditto what Rob said. I just wonder about the cost, at sort of £150-£200 for a week is renting one really worth it?

I had that thought too and I was thinking of suggesting the option of going for a 300mm f2.8 instead for being more hand-held friendly as Marcus will attest but as you don't have a 2x I wasn't sure if it would be a viable option unless you were willing to rent one of them as well. I still maintain that it seems a trifle expensive to rent these sorts of things.

Oh and then of course there's the danger that once you've tried one of those lenses you'll just end up wanting one! ;)

Do you have a tripod to support the lens? I would say this is as important as the lens itself.

I do have a tripod Marcus, but rarely use it. I prefer to "stalk" and get close to my subject. My 100-400 lens is fine for this most of the time, I would prefer to rest a larger lens on a bean bag or take the weight on my elbows/knees whilst targeting a subject.

Fantastic lens and easily usable with a monopod and Manfrotto 393 if you do not want to spend a fortune on another gimbal or carry a tripod.

I do have a tripod Marcus, but rarely use it. I prefer to "stalk" and get close to my subject. My 100-400 lens is fine for this most of the time, I would prefer to rest a larger lens on a bean bag or take the weight on my elbows/knees whilst targeting a subject.

Given you prefer to stalk I would advise strongly against the 500 f/4

Costs peanuts it seems to rent a 2x as well for the week so I'd have a serious think about the 300mmf2.8 IS 2x combo (cheaper than the 500mm too). And don't forget that if you want even more reach then you can stack it up with your 1.4 and get still some AF of a sort which works reasonably well for birds which aren't going anywhere in a hurry but hand-holding that lot is out of the question as is probs resting on a bean bag, you'd need a sturdy tripod for stacking if you're out and about. I don't know if you've decided on a company but www.camerarent.co.uk seem reasonably priced.

I hardly ever use my 500 on a tripod and I'm not that strong either.
The only time I would say a 500 is too much weight is if your going to walk for a few hours before taking shots.
Take a look at my website I would say 99% of my shots are handheld.

Hi Chas
I have the 400DO and I use the 1.4 extender with it most of the Time a great outfit for stalking Bird and Otters. With your 7D you will get good reach this should prove a good outfit for flight shots. If you have a Tripod and Head take them worth it for Poor Light and long reach shots. In Mull there should be lots of opportunities from the car where your Bean bag should come in handy.
have a Great time
Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back