• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iceland Gulls? (1 Viewer)

simongodfrey

taken today in ontario, canada. are there three iceland and three herring gulls in this pic??? if so, what subspecies of iceland??? thanx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• gulls.jpg
    gulls.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 157
The front middle one at least might be Glaucous - the stout-looking, clearly two-toned bill suggests it. But the birds are all so distant it's hard to be sure.

The front middle one at least might be Glaucous - the stout-looking, clearly two-toned bill suggests it. But the birds are all so distant it's hard to be sure.

Here is a Glaucous and an Iceland side by side, right?? The three gulls in the first pic were all much smaller than the nearby glaucous

Attachments

• gulls2.jpg
    gulls2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 91
It's asking a lot based on this image to assign to race, but the size of all 3 compared to the presumed Herring Gull behind suggests Iceland to me, and on location I would think kumlien's most likely. I can't see an obvious two-toned bill on any of them.

Last edited:
It's asking a lot based on this image, but the size of all 3 compared to the presumed Herring Gull behind suggests Iceland to me, and on location I would think kumlien's most likely. I can't see an obvious two-toned bill on any of them

yeah great, that's what i was thinking. i had to crop the image to get around size restraints. in the original photo and in the field, these three all had clearly all black bills.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back