• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HG DCF 10x25 Vs Opticron Traveller BGA 8x32 (1 Viewer)

peter1964

Nikon HG DCF 10x25 Vs Opticron Traveller BGA 8x32

I'm deciding between these two compact bins, roughly same price at WExp. Can anyone make the choice easier?

Both good bins - the Opticrons should have better light gathering (lower mag and higher objective) and has excellent close focus. The Nikons are fantastic compacts, to my eyes one of the best on the market.

If they are going to be your main/only bins then I'd recommend the Opticrons, being "full-size" bins they will be more comfortable for prolonged viewing. Best advice woudl be to get to a shop and try both for yourself.

peter1964 said:
Thanks
I notice the Nikons are 'phase corrected' does this make a significant difference - what does it mean?
All top optics (inc. top Opticron ranges) will be "phase corrected", I feel certain. Have you looked at the Ultravid 10x25 too? They are magnificently bright - quite frankly, they seem to be magical for their size in this respect.

scampo said:
All top optics (inc. top Opticron ranges) will be "phase corrected", I feel certain. Have you looked at the Ultravid 10x25 too? They are magnificently bright - quite frankly, they seem to be magical for their size in this respect.

Just in case there's any confusion, Scampo means all top roof-prism binoculars will be phase coated. Porro-prism designs don't need phase coating. It's only there to correct an inherent problem with the roof-prism design.

peter1964 said:
I'm deciding between these two compact bins, roughly same price at WExp. Can anyone make the choice easier?[/QUOTE
Id go for the Nikons. I think there on offer now at wrehouse express....Ive tried them and can say they are excellent and well built....Brother has a pair of the HG 8x42's and thay compare favourably with my Leicas, In d=fact Id say there a touch crisper....You wont be making a mistake buying the Nikons...All the best...Clint.

Never been a fan of any roof prism 10x25s, as much as I like 10x. If you want 10x and small, look at some 10x32 and 10x36 models.

Are the Nikons listed with:
Field-of-View (@ 1000 Yd ) 282' (94 m at 1000 m)
That actually looks pretty good

The Opticrons I have never seen, sounds OK for 8x. Also, looks quite nice
http://www.swoptics.co.uk/view.asp?KEY=2112
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/index.cfm?binsandscopes/binoculars/opticron.html

I imagine FOV is better than the Nikon, but could not find it.

Last edited:
solentbirder said:
Just in case there's any confusion, Scampo means all top roof-prism binoculars will be phase coated. Porro-prism designs don't need phase coating. It's only there to correct an inherent problem with the roof-prism design.
I didn't know that sb - thanks!

Tero said:
Never been a fan of any roof prism 10x25s, as much as I like 10x. If you want 10x and small, look at some 10x32 and 10x36 models.

Are the Nikons listed with:
Field-of-View (@ 1000 Yd ) 282' (94 m at 1000 m)
That actually looks pretty good

The Opticrons I have never seen, sounds OK for 8x. Also, looks quite nice
http://www.swoptics.co.uk/view.asp?KEY=2112
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/index.cfm?binsandscopes/binoculars/opticron.html

I imagine FOV is better than the Nikon, but could not find it.
Have you looked through the Ultravids? Whatever objection can you have to those? They offer everything and more I could imagine for such a compact binocular. 32mm and 36mm bins are much larger and heavier. Horses for courses?

Well, yeah, all those high priced 10x25s are pretty pleasant to look through. But I am now looking at the few 9x porro compacts that are sold, Nikon and Bushnell. No roof prism 9x compacts exist, as far as I know. The 9x would be a compromise, to get more FOV.

Oops, the Bushnell 9x is a roof prism. I am seriously looking at it as a back up to my 10x42 on all trips. The 10x of the opening post is fine, after all, I have no problems if the field of view is good. But beyond my price range.

Last edited:
scampo said:

Thanks Scampo - but the ultravids are a little over my budget!

Hi - thanks for the reply, I just wanted to check you know I'm talking about the Nikon HG DCF 10x25 not Nikon 10x32 (they are sold out now on Warehousex). You would still recommend the 10x25's rather than Opticron 8x32's then?

bird_wtchr said:
peter1964 said:
I'm deciding between these two compact bins, roughly same price at WExp. Can anyone make the choice easier?[/QUOTE
Id go for the Nikons. I think there on offer now at wrehouse express....Ive tried them and can say they are excellent and well built....Brother has a pair of the HG 8x42's and thay compare favourably with my Leicas, In d=fact Id say there a touch crisper....You wont be making a mistake buying the Nikons...All the best...Clint.

Hi Clint- thanks for the reply, I just wanted to check you know I'm talking about the Nikon HG DCF 10x25 not Nikon 10x32 (they are sold out now on Warehousex). You would still recommend the 10x25's rather than Opticron 8x32's then?

peter1964 said:
I'm deciding between these two compact bins, roughly same price at WExp. Can anyone make the choice easier?
I had the Opticron 8x32 Traveller BGA's for a short while, they are wonderful bins, really compact and pocketable for 32mm and very clear and sharp for the price range, but I changed them because I didn't like the focus wheel at the far end (didn't think I could ever get used to it), or the fairly narrow FOV (about 6.3 degrees, I think). I raided the kids' piggy banks and mortgaged the mother-in-law to switch to 8x32 EL's. With which I'm delighted. But they're not as compact, obviously, although they do fit in the pocket of a body-warmer or Barbour jacket, withouth feeling heavy. Best of luck with your choice.

Tero said:
Well, yeah. So I am now looking at the few 9x porro compacts that are sold, Nikon and Bushnell. No roof prism 9x compacts exist, as far as I know. The 9x would be a compromise, to get more FOV.

Oops, the Bushnell 9x is a roof prism. I am seriously looking at it as a back up to my 10x42 on all trips. The 10x of the opening post is fine, after all, I have no problems if the field of view is good. But beyond my price range.

The 9x25 Bushnell has a FOV of 283 ft @ 1000 yds. while the 10x25 Nikon LXL manages 282 ft. and has better optics. So, except for their relative price tags, I don't see any advantage to the Bushnell.

On the other hand, if you are specifically deciding between compact Legend models, that 9x model has a lot to offer. It's more compact than either of the two porro options, has a FOV that is only 7ft. less than the 8x, is phase coated to eliminate the image advantage of the porro design, gets you a bit closer to your object of interest than the 8x, and only costs about $50 more than the 10x porro model.

Come to think of it, that 9x Bushnell Legend has a lot to offer in comparison to any compact binocular in the <$200 range. Maybe I should get one myself...

Last edited:
Yes, seems like a decent bin. Hard to get to see a pair. I have seen Nikon 9x porros, and they give pretty bright view. Other than that, I can't easily decide bewtween the two. I suppose I could try Eagle Optics, where I could return the Lagacys if not happy.

We have a Cabelas moving in to our area, so I may get to see those 10x25s as well. I missed my chance to go visit Eagle Optics isn June, I am out of town when my family is headed that way. Anyway, I have looked at a number of 10x25 roof prisms, up to $500 value, and have not liked many. They seemed all to have a narrow FOV. The ones in the OP I have probably not seen.

Right now I am using Minolta porro 10x25s for my compacts. Actually not bad either. They just LOOK cheaply made.

Ended up with Nikon Travelite 9x25, as an exchange to some 10x25 roofs that were a bad idea.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back