• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Forest Grasshopper and Bush Cricket for id. (1 Viewer)

Hi, Can I have some assistance with the two pics please..

My best guesses are Heath Grasshopper, and the Bog BushCricket.

Both were in the New Forest, the Grasshopper in prime heathland habitat, and the Bushcricket in a damp heathland area.

thanks

Attachments

• g-hopper1.JPG
    g-hopper1.JPG
    178.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Bushcricket.JPG
    Bushcricket.JPG
    476.1 KB · Views: 39
I think you're wrong on both.

Not Heath Grasshopper as the dorsal thoracic keels are the wrong shape. Looks like Meadow to me.

Bush-cricket is Dark BC.

They certainly aren't the easiest group for me.

For the bush Cricket.. I'm seeing a wing halfway along the body, which would rule out Dark Bush Cricket?

They certainly aren't the easiest group for me.

For the bush Cricket.. I'm seeing a wing halfway along the body, which would rule out Dark Bush Cricket?

You are right, both wing extension and form of cerci rule out P. griseoaptera. This is Metrioptera brachyptera.

Hi Peter

Glad someone else finds orthoptera none too easy!

First pic Meadow GH, Second pic Bog BC.

This post has some pictures of Heath Grasshopper - it is extremely localised in the New Forest.

I have a feeling that when summer comes and I go out to look for grasshoppers then I'll have to re-learn all the ID yet again!

I found this page very useful

Paul

There were only a few species.......

Hi Peter

Glad someone else finds orthoptera none too easy!

First pic Meadow GH, Second pic Bog BC.

This post has some pictures of Heath Grasshopper - it is extremely localised in the New Forest.

I have a feeling that when summer comes and I go out to look for grasshoppers then I'll have to re-learn all the ID yet again!

I found this page very useful

Paul

A complex group for such few species. I’ve taken to photographing everyone with a hope eventually I will be able to ID.

Regards

Thanks everyone, thanks Paul for the links.
I've also looked at the nbn atlas which has some pretty good distribution data (https://nbnatlas.org/)

I took a wrong turn id'ing the Grasshopper, thinking that Meadow Grasshoppers all had very short wings, which isn't the case. Now have a nice mini-project lined up for next summer finding Heath Grasshopper for real!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back