• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cano Negro. (1 Viewer)

Robert L Jarvis

Robert L Jarvis
Another information request if you would be so kind as to help me.

I read that there are two boat trips up in this part, one that toured the river Frio to the border and back to Los Chiles and the other was a boat trip along the river to the lake Cano Negro. Can anyone clarify if there are two separate trips and I am getting mixed up. If there are two which is the better for birds?

I intend to do the Tarcoles river trip so is it worthwhile to the Cano Negro trip as well?

Thank you in advance for the help.

Robert

I cannot answer no 1 but give some thoughts about the second: Tarcoles is providing a look at coastal mangrove and some herons and shorebirds that like mud banks. What I have read about Cano negro (which I unfortunately could not fit in my itinerary) is more of a swamp trip, looking for birds in a different habitat. I would have included both if I could. It all depends on what else you might do with that time?

Niels

Another information request if you would be so kind as to help me.

I read that there are two boat trips up in this part, one that toured the river Frio to the border and back to Los Chiles and the other was a boat trip along the river to the lake Cano Negro. Can anyone clarify if there are two separate trips and I am getting mixed up. If there are two which is the better for birds?

I intend to do the Tarcoles river trip so is it worthwhile to the Cano Negro trip as well?

Thank you in advance for the help.

Robert

I did Cano Negro in 2006, but I didn't do the bigger boat trip. Instead, one of the hotels had a guide take us out on a boat built for about 6 people. I forget the price, but it was entirely reasonable... and I could dictate where I wanted to go. I can't really comment on the other boat trips.

Neils is right about the habitat difference. Since this trip indeed an open-swamp\lake bird trip, the birding is rather easy and the guide (no English), knew where to go. We had crippling looks at a Black-Collared Hawk perched about 8 feet above the water. We had a Bat Falcon, several Green Ibis, a Snowy Cotinga, and the usual suspects.

The Nicaraguan Grackle was seen from the boat is some of the grassy areas on the lake. The size difference was noticeable right away if you're familiar with North American Great-taileds.

I really enjoyed the trip, and even enjoyed walking through the small town around the lake. We had fairly nice birds early morning and in the late afternoon.

Here's an abbreviated list from 2006 (I don't include the everyday species like Great Egret), but you'll probably do better in the dry season. I missed the Yellow-headed Vulture. Also Jabiru appears to be nesting there now... they weren't being seen there when we were there.

OLIVACEOUS PICULET
BLACK-CHEEKED WOODPECKER
LINEATED WOODPECKER
COLLARED ARACARI
VIOLACEOUS TROGON
RINGED KINGFISHER
AMAZON KINGFISHER
GREEN KINGFISHER
CRIMSON-FRONTED PARAKEET
OLIVE-THROATED PARAKEET
RED-LORED PARROT
MEALY PARROT
RED-BILLED PIGEON
GREY-FRONTED DOVE
GREY-NECKED WOOD-RAIL
PURPLE GALLINULE
NORTHERN JACANA
SNAIL KITE
GREAT BLACK-HAWK
BLACK-COLLARED HAWK
BAT FALCON
ANHINGA
NEOTROPIC CORMORANT
BARE-THROATED TIGER-HERON
GREEN IBIS
NORTHERN BEARDLESS-TYRANNULET
TROPICAL PEWEE
STREAKED FLYCATCHER
SOCIAL FLYCATCHER
GREY-CAPPED FLYCATCHER
SNOWY COTINGA
COCOA WOODCREEPER
MANGROVE SWALLOW
PASSERINI'S TANAGER
PALM TANAGER
YELLOW-THROATED EUPHONIA
RED-LEGGED HONEYCREEPER
GREYISH SALTATOR
MONTEZUMA OROPENDOLA
YELLOW-BILLED CACIQUE
RED-WINGED BLACKBIRD
NICARUAGUAN GRACKLE
BRONZED COWBIRD

Last edited:
Great list JJ, there are a lot of birds there I would like to see, of course all depends on the day. Have to think about how to do this, I wonder if I just take a trip to Los Ciles and see what is on. That may be the best option.

Great list JJ, there are a lot of birds there I would like to see, of course all depends on the day. Have to think about how to do this, I wonder if I just take a trip to Los Ciles and see what is on. That may be the best option.

Possibly. I know several hotel around Arenal offer Cano Negro trips, but I really don't know any of the vendors.

I bet you could find a boat tour pretty easily at Los Chiles. Make sure to emphasize that you want to see birds, including potoos as Great Potoo is often seen on trips to Cano Negro.

Get yourself to the village of Caño Negro, and ask around for Jesús Antonio Sandoval Varga. He has a little skiff and will take you to "la laguna," where I had the good fortune (albeit years ago) to see an ocean of wood storks, great egrets, white ibis, and many of the 52 remaining Jabiru in Costa Rica. And on the way to the laguna, on the river banks, there were many fabulous birds, among them, boatbilled heron, purple gallinule, northern jacana, and many, many more.
The last phone number I have for Jesús is +506 2845-5431
Have a great time!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back