• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler ID, Iran - Willow? (1 Viewer)

Abraham Shokouhi

I saw this warbler last week in SW of Iran where the temperature is almost mild in winter. I think it is Wilow warbler but my friends believe its p.p is not long enough for the willow. Would you please help me.
Sorry, the quality is low since it was far and the photo is overexposed. I tried to edit it without changing colors.

Attachments

• DSCN2678-2.jpg
    DSCN2678-2.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 172
I agree that several plumage features suggest WW, but I can measure a primary projection of only 65% of the tertial length at most (measured on the screen) which is at odds with WW (WW should have a minimum pp of about 80%). Not sure what this is.

The warmish colour tones of this one looks more like a Chiffchaff to me. Really early for WW, almost unheard of I believe? I can remember the odd record from about mid-February.

The warmish colour tones of this one looks more like a Chiffchaff to me. Really early for WW, almost unheard of I believe? I can remember the odd record from about mid-February.

There is not enough information about birds in Iran and odd observation is possible. Let me know about the legs color. They are not black and are almost light flesh with no dark parts. At least legs not looks Chiffchaff.

There is not enough information about birds in Iran and odd observation is possible. Let me know about the legs color. They are not black and are almost light flesh with no dark parts. At least legs not looks Chiffchaff.

From the photo it is difficult indeed, I too think the primary projection is too short for WW and it is the best single feature for ID. I suppose its possible that a very early WW could get to SW Iran this early though. Are there any more photos?

From the photo it is difficult indeed, I too think the primary projection is too short for WW and it is the best single feature for ID. I suppose it is possible that a very early WW could get to SW Iran this early though. Are there any more photos?

Well, there is another low-quality out of the focused photo that I attached. I saw some chiffchaffs one day before this photo but not in the same area (not in mountains, in the plain) and for comparing I put a chiffchaff photo, too.
Hope it could help

Attachments

• DSCN2679-2.jpg
    DSCN2679-2.jpg
    525.5 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN2353.jpg
    DSCN2353.jpg
    567.2 KB · Views: 68
Your 2nd photo confirms it is a Chiffchaff with pale legs IMO, the side on view shows the PP to be too short for Willow Warbler which I initially thought!

Shane

Your 2nd photo confirms it is a Chiffchaff with pale legs IMO, the side on view shows the PP to be too short for Willow Warbler which I initially thought!

Shane

Agree completely now with Common Chiffchaff too. The only thing that was throwing me off was Abraham's comment about "pale flesh leg colour", which would be pretty unusual...though.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back