• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Ladybird thread (6 Viewers)

The one with the orange is a 7 spot larva. The other is a 14 spot. It's very similar to the cream spot larva. The 14 spot larva has a white spot towards the rear of the abdomen. The white spots along the side of the abdomen are a bit spikier on the cream spot larvae I've encountered.

Small unknown ladybird

Can anone help with an Id for this small lady? 4.5mm long.

Attachments

• ladybird_11jul07_800l_20.jpg
    ladybird_11jul07_800l_20.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 103
Maybe a recently-emerged melanic 2-spot? I think we'll have to wait for Paul's opinion on this one!

Pine Ladybird?

Is this a Pine Ladybird or a dark 2-spot? I didn't know enough to look for a "rim" unfortunately, but it seems there is one around the elytra. It was on Broom though - nowhere near a Pine Tree of any sort (or do they fly looking for new Pines anyway and pitch up anywhere?)

Attachments

• blacktwinspot.jpg
    blacktwinspot.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 111
According to Roger Hawkins in Ladybirds of Surrey there have been sightings of the pine ladybird on broom. I think this is a pine ladybird - the red 'comma' at the front is usually touching the lower edge of the elytra in the melanic 2-spot.

Maybe a recently-emerged melanic 2-spot? I think we'll have to wait for Paul's opinion on this one!

Close, I suspect it's a recently emerged melanic 10-spot - the melanic form of Adalia decempunctata usually has two lunate spots on the shoulders - this can occur on the 2-spot as well but rarely: you'd tell the two apart by leg colour and underside features but not on an immature one.

Is this a Pine Ladybird or a dark 2-spot? I didn't know enough to look for a "rim" unfortunately, but it seems there is one around the elytra. It was on Broom though - nowhere near a Pine Tree of any sort (or do they fly looking for new Pines anyway and pitch up anywhere?)

As Mis says, pine ladybird Exochomus quadripustulatus which is found most commonly on sycamore/street lime, and ash but on most trees with scale insects. When Mike Majerus named the British species in the 1960s this was very closely associated with pine trees (or the scale insects on them). Over the years it has adapted to eating other scale insects and indeed many 'new' scale insects have established in this country so now the pine ladybird is rarely seen on pines!

As Mis says, pine ladybird Exochomus quadripustulatus which is found most commonly on sycamore/street lime, and ash but on most trees with scale insects. When Mike Majerus named the British species in the 1960s this was very closely associated with pine trees (or the scale insects on them). Over the years it has adapted to eating other scale insects and indeed many 'new' scale insects have established in this country so now the pine ladybird is rarely seen on pines!

Mis, Paul - many thanks indeed.
Cheers

An afterthought - the rim or flange around the elytra is not always obvious - you need to get the light and the direction right - you can see it to the bottom (especially left) of your picture if you no it's there!
The pine on this page - http://www.harlequin-survey.org/downloads/Ladybird descriptions_Info pack_NEW_v.5.pdf - shows it very well. It is most obvious on the related kidney-spot ladybird ...

I didn't know enough to look for a "rim" unfortunately, but it seems there is one around the elytra.

Hello, Mabel.
No, unless others contradict me, I think this has been the worst year for ladybirds for about nine years! Started off reasonably well but weird weather. Very few mature ladybirds about in my part of the world but it may be different further south.
While in northern Spain recently I saw very few but I don't expect to see that many in August as you travel south!
Anybody else seen anything interesting?

When I was over in England this year, I noticed LOADS of Ladybirds. Has this year been a good year for them? I've seen very few (single figures) in Ireland this year...

Last edited:
Even if the name 'pine ladybird' is now inappropriate, many people will carry on using it. I always advocate the use of the Latin names (have no implications on ecology, are known the world over, have consistent format) ... unfortunately, even they are not for ever: some people now think that the pine ladybird is not Exochomus but Brumus quadripustulatus. :-C
As Mis says, pine ladybird Exochomus quadripustulatus which is found most commonly on sycamore/street lime,
and ash but on most trees with scale insects. .............!

'Harlequin' in Norway

Today had a report that the 'harlequin' ladybird, Harmonia axyridis, has been found in Norway (Oslo) - furthest north yet in Europe.
Reports from Holland suggest that it is aggregating in considerable numbers there ....

Last edited:
I'm very surprised at that although it is very much a 'one man show' so if Peter is ill, on holiday or otherwise occupied then there may be some delay. I'm sure he will very much appreciate your observation.

Thank you ,Paul ,for your quick response. I've been waiting nearly two weeks for a response from www.harlequin-survey.org.Sent them a photo and tried to send record of sighting. All with no joy!
David

Hi, just joined this site yesterday and found out this thread. Very interesting read. :t:

I've made photographic diaries of ladybird births over the last 2 years. Please come and have a look. You may find them interesting.

Ladybird Diary.

You can also find lots of ladybird images in my Insects Gallery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back