• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swainson's Hawk & Cape Shoveler deleted from West Pal. list (1 Viewer)

Just been reading, Swainson's Hawk and Cape Shoveler have been removed from the official West Palaearctic bird list. In all cases (single Swainson's Hawk records from Israel and Norway, and Cape Shoveler from Morocco), the records have been demoted to category D (unproven origin, likely to be escapes) by the relevant national authorities

For anyone who can read Danish, the original is here:
http://www.netfugl.dk/news.php?id=show&news_id=4003e32fc9f81d0c

Michael

Hi Michael,
While not knowing enough about Cape Shoveler,I can't say that I'm too surprised about Swainson's Hawk being removed from the respective national authorities:while it is possible in theory for the species to occur as a genuine vagrant,one would ideally want one with cast-iron credentials(i.e.October in Iceland or Ireland/Britain after a fast-moving front crossed the Atlantic,with a few other American species brought across,and even then I'd want to see it fly off a boat,and find out from the crew that it came on board somewhere just off the east coast of North America and wasn't fed en route....;))
Harry H

Thanks for that Michael – interesting. Just how long has Cape Shoveler been on the WP list – the mind boggles.

Can’t read Danish Michael, perhaps you could give us a bit here and there – you could start with the Danish for “3-2”!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back