• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gringos Attend 20th Annual Colombian National Birding Encounter (1 Viewer)

Oregonian

Three birders from the Northwest crashed the 20th Annual Colombian National Birding Encounter last month. Colombian birders and ornithologists have been getting together annually for a weekend of field trips and talks for twenty years, moving the meeting around the country to diversify the event. This years meeting was organized by my friend Sergio Ocampo-Tobon. 130 birders gathered near Manizales, Caldas, for field trips ranging from the paramo to the lowlands along the Cauca River.

Sergio has been encouraging me to come to these meeting for years, so this year, Karen Sharples from Clark County, Washington, Judy Meredith from Bend, Oregon, and I decided to go. Since Sergio would be busy, we engaged Diego Calderon-Franco to pick us up in Bogota, take us to the encounter, and on a short birding tour of Central Colombia. We visisted a wetlands near Bogota and Otun Quimbaya near Pereira, Risaralda before the encounter, and afterwards went to Antioquia, to spend some time in the Western Andes at Jardin, and some other Central Andes locations on the way back to Bogota. We traveled in a rented Toyota Prada, giving us plenty of room and flexibility to travel on some pretty rough roads. We listed about 350 species of birds, depending on who was counting, including some very nice limited range specialties.

Diego is working on a more complete report, and I'll post a link later, but I'll start an outline now.

November 8 - Parque La Florida, Bogota. Andrea Morales, a graduate student, studying, among other things, hybridization in Ramphocelus tanagers, joined us to show us around the wetlands, where she has studied Apolinar's Marsh Wren. We heard the wren "singing", but couldn't bring it in for a look. We did get good looks at some other specialties, including Bogota Rail, Subropical Doradito, Rufous-tailed Tyrant, and Rufous-browed Conebill.

Attached is a photo of Diego and Andrea. Note that Andrea has binoculars from the ABA Birder's Exchange, a program well worth support. Also attached is a photo of the marsh, and a Rufous-tailed Tyrant.

We left Andrea in Bogota before noon, drove across the Magdalena Valley and crossed the Central Andes to Armenia on the way to Otun Quimbaya, near Pereira, arriving late.

More later,
Jeff

Attachments

• La Florida DSCF6174 sm.jpg
    La Florida DSCF6174 sm.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 154
  • Andrea and Diego -ABA BEX DSCF6197.jpg
    Andrea and Diego -ABA BEX DSCF6197.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 169
  • Rufous-tailed Tyrant DSCF6207.jpg
    Rufous-tailed Tyrant DSCF6207.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
November 9 - Otun Quimbaya

We were joined at Otun Quimbaya by a few of Diego's friends, members of an informal birding group calling themselves "La Pesada", hard-core birders. At Otun Quimbaya we found the specialties, Red-ruffed Fruitcrow, Cauca Guan, Torrent Duck and Torrent Tyrannulet, and much else. We missed the endemic Multicolored Tanager, which Judy and I had seen here last year.

Attached is Diego Calderon-Franco's photo of us at the river with some La Pesada guys after watching the couple of Torrent Ducks. Left to right: Karen, Jeff, Daniel Piedrahita, Juan D. Ramirez and Judy.

In the afternoon we went on to the venue of the encounter, formally called "XX Encuentro National De Ornitologia", outside Manizales, Caldas.

More on that later

Attachments

• Diego's Otun Quimbaya DSC07004.jpg
    Diego's Otun Quimbaya DSC07004.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 139
Jeff ,
I have a feeling we're in for a great treat here !
Can't wait to see more reports and photos , everything looks amazing from here so far !
-thanks

November 10 - Bosque El Infierno

For the first field trip of the Encuentro, we visited a lowland forest above the Cauca River. There were a dozen or so participants with is, including more of La Pesada. We had nice views of Lesser Swallow-tailed Swifts (Panyptyla cayennensis), White-vented Plumeleteers (Chalybura buffonii), Slaty Spinetails (Synallaxis brachyura), Golden-collared Manakins (Manacus vitellinus), and the restrictedly distributed in Colombia Speckle-breasted Wrens (Thryothorus sclateri) among the 88 total species we recorded.
On the way out we stopped at a reservoir to watch the Cocoi Heron struggling to swallow a large fish, recountred here:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=102262

Attached is Diego Calderon-Franco's photo of some of the Colombian birders who joined us. One of the great things about this trip was the chance to go into the field with such enthusiastic local birders, much as one would find at a birding hotspot in the USA, except that they use the latin names for the birds. In the photo are Victor and Patricia Restrepo of Medellin, Judy is on the left looking for something in her bag, and I failed to not the young man looking through Victor's new Kowa.
More later,

Attachments

• Diego's Bosque El Inferno DSC07015.jpg
    Diego's Bosque El Inferno DSC07015.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 139
November 11 - Paramo

On Sunday we got high - up to almost 4000 meters in PN Los Nevados, where we found Bearded Helmetcrest, Veridian Metaltail, Black-crested Buzzard-Eagle, Stout-billed Cincloides, Pale-naped Brush-finch, and Andean Tit-Spinetail.

On the way up, we stopped for coffee at a nice roadside restaurant, and as so often happens, there were great birds right there! While watching a small group of White-capped Tanagers catching insects (see the attached photo of the scope queue) a Golden-headed Quetzal flew over and perched in the open for us.
I have posted a few photos to the gallery:
Stout-billed Cincloides
http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/169577/ppuser/18725
Sedge Wren
http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=169573&nocache=1
Viridian Metaltail
http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/168006/ppuser/18725

Here's the list for the day, not so long, but with some grand birds!
Andean (Speckled) Teal
Anas (flavirostris) andium

Andean Duck
Oxyura ferruginea

Turkey Vulture
Cathartes aura

Black Vulture
Coragyps atratus

Black-chested Buzzard-Eagle
Geranoaetus melanoleucus

Band-tailed Pigeon
Columba fasciata

Great Sapphirewing
Pterophanes cyanopterus

Bearded Helmetcrest
Oxypogon guerinii

Golden-headed Quetzal
Pharomachrus auriceps

Emerald Toucanet
Aulacorhynchus prasinus

Stout-billed Cinclodes
Cinclodes excelsior

Andean Tit-Spinetail
Leptasthenura andicola

Tawny Antpitta
Grallaria quitensis

Páramo Tapaculo
Scytalopus canus

Red-crested Cotinga
Ampelion rubrocristatus

Brown-backed Chat-Tyrant
Ochthoeca fumicolor

Sedge Wren
Cistothorus platensis

Mountain Wren
Troglodytes solstitialis

Gray-breasted Wood-Wren
Henicorhina leucophrys

Great Thrush
Turdus fuscater

Black-and-white Warbler
Mniotilta varia

Golden-fronted Whitestart
Myioborus ornatus

Blue-backed Conebill
Conirostrum sitticolor

Glossy Flower-piercer
Diglossa lafresnayii

Black Flower-piercer
Diglossa humeralis

White-capped Tanager
Sericossypha albocristata

Black-backed Bush-Tanager
Urothraupis stolzmanni

Black-eared Hemispingus
Hemispingus melanotis

Pale-naped Brush-Finch
Atlapetes pallidinuchus

Paramo Seedeater
Catamenia homochroa

Plain-colored Seedeater
Catamenia inornata

Plumbeous Sierra-Finch
Phrygilus unicolor

Rufous-collared Sparrow
Zonotrichia capensis

Attachments

• birders line up DSCF6341.jpg
    birders line up DSCF6341.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 125
November 12 - Paramo de Letras

On Monday we visited another high altitude location, the upper elevation part of the Rio Blanco Reserve. On the way we watched a pair of Black-chested Buzzard-Eagles interacting while listening to Eastern Meadowlarks, and then found an Andean Lapwing. We had a nice walk in the reserve that was less productive than some, then on the way out we had another flurry of activity, with Andean Tit-spinetail, Red-crested Cotinga, Paramo Tapaculo, and Purple-backed Thornbill. Again, not a big list but some nice birds.

We left in time to make it to the lower level field station at Rio Blanco with enough light to enjoy the spectacle of 15 hummingbird feeders. As we enjoyed the evening and a nice bottle of Ron De Caldas after the sun went down, a Rufous-banded Owl joined us, practically brushing Judy aside to get a moth on the veranda.
http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/167311/ppuser/18725
The Paramo list:
Black-chested Buzzard-Eagle
Geranoaetus melanoleucus

Andean Lapwing
Vanellus resplendens

Shining Sunbeam
Aglaeactis cupripennis

Purple-backed Thornbill
Ramphomicron microrhynchum

Andean Tit-Spinetail
Leptasthenura andicola

Rufous Antpitta
Grallaria rufula

Páramo Tapaculo
Scytalopus canus

Red-crested Cotinga
Ampelion rubrocristatus

White-throated Tyrannulet
Mecocerculus leucophrys

Vermilion Flycatcher
Pyrocephalus rubinus

Brown-backed Chat-Tyrant
Ochthoeca fumicolor

Brown-bellied Swallow
Notiochelidon murina

Sedge Wren
Cistothorus platensis

Great Thrush
Turdus fuscater

Eastern Meadowlark
Sturnella magna

Myioborus ornatus

Blue-backed Conebill
Conirostrum sitticolor

Glossy Flower-piercer
Diglossa lafresnayii

Scarlet-bellied Mountain-Tanager
Anisognathus igniventris

Pale-naped Brush-Finch
Atlapetes pallidinuchus

Paramo Seedeater
Catamenia homochroa

Plain-colored Seedeater
Catamenia inornata

Rufous-collared Sparrow
Zonotrichia capensis

Attachments

• Eastern Meadowlark 100_4977.jpg
    Eastern Meadowlark 100_4977.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Black-chested Buzzard-EaglesDSCF6089.jpg
    Black-chested Buzzard-EaglesDSCF6089.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 107
  • Andean Tit-Spinetail DSCF6127.jpg
    Andean Tit-Spinetail DSCF6127.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 108
  • Near Paramo Orchid 100_4986.jpg
    Near Paramo Orchid 100_4986.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 106
A very outstanding and quite frankly overwelming report Jeff . That looks like a happy group there , and wow what a list , congratulations on the Bearded Helmetcrest !
It looks like there is more to come...

November 13 - Rio Blanco Reserve

There are too many things to do in life - sorry I stopped adding to this account.

We spent Monday night at the field station at the Rio Blanco Reserve, outside Manizales. I attach a photo of the field station, with it's 15 very active hummingbird feeders. This is a great place to stay, a bit rustic, but with all the birds and pleasant company, who cares about finery? Contact Sergio Ocampo([email protected]), and he would be pleased to set you up for a visit. It was my fourth time, and I see new things each time.

In the morning we took a walk in the cloud forest above the field station, and as always, found some great birds - I'll put a list below. Memorable was the sight of a tanager flock bathing in a puddle in the road. I disscussed it and attached photos to this thread:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=101647
Three species new to the database were in one image! Included were three different Hemispingus species - Superciliaried, Oleaginous, and Black-eared.

We only had the morning At Rio Blanco. In the afternoon we were off to a location in the Western Andes - Jardin, Antioquia.

Here is the list from Rio Blanco:

Black Vulture
Coragyps atratus

Hawk
Buteo sp.

Broad-winged Hawk
Buteo platypterus

Sickle-winged Guan
Chamaepetes goudotii

Chestnut Wood-Quail
Odontophorus hyperythrus

Ruddy Ground-Dove
Columbina talpacoti

Rusty-faced Parrot
Hapalopsittaca amazonina

Parrot
Pionus sp.

Rufous-banded Owl
Ciccaba albitarsis

White-collared Swift
Streptoprocne zonaris

Tawny-bellied Hermit
Phaethornis syrmatophorus

Green-fronted Lancebill
Doryfera ludoviciae

Green Violetear
Colibri thalassinus

Sparkling Violetear
Colibri coruscans

Speckled Hummingbird
Adelomyia melanogenys

Fawn-breasted Brilliant
Heliodoxa rubinoides

Collared Inca
Coeligena torquata

Buff-tailed Coronet
Boissonneaua flavescens

Tourmaline Sunangel
Heliangelus exortis

Puffleg
Eriocnemis sp.

Long-tailed Sylph
Aglaiocercus kingi

White-bellied Woodstar
Chaetocercus mulsanti

Collared Trogon
Trogon collaris

Highland Motmot
Momotus aequatorialis

Emerald Toucanet
Aulacorhynchus prasinus

Crimson-mantled Woodpecker
Piculus rivolii

Tyrannine Woodcreeper
Dendrocincla tyrannina

Strong-billed Woodcreeper
Xiphocolaptes promeropirhynchus

Azara's Spinetail
Synallaxis azarae

Pearled Treerunner
Margarornis squamiger

Streaked Tuftedcheek
Pseudocolaptes boissonneautii

Streaked Xenops
Xenops rutilans

Long-tailed Antbird
Drymophila caudata

Chestnut-crowned Antpitta
Grallaria ruficapilla

Bicolored Antpitta
Grallaria rufocinerea

Brown-banded Antpitta
Grallaria milleri

Ash-colored Tapaculo
Myornis senilis

Blackish Tapaculo
Scytalopus latrans

Spillmann's Tapaculo
Scytalopus spillmanni

Cinereous Becard
Pachyramphus rufus

Golden-faced Tyrannulet
Zimmerius chrysops

Streak-necked Flycatcher
Mionectes striaticollis

Rufous-breasted Flycatcher
Leptopogon rufipectus

Rufous-crowned Tody-Tyrant
Poecilotriccus ruficeps

Cinnamon Flycatcher
Pyrrhomyias cinnamomea

Olive-sided Flycatcher
Contopus cooperi

Black Phoebe
Sayornis nigricans

Brown-backed Chat-Tyrant
Ochthoeca fumicolor

Slaty-backed Chat-Tyrant
Ochthoeca cinnamomeiventris

Pale-edged Flycatcher
Myiarchus cephalotes

Golden-crowned Flycatcher
Myiodynastes chrysocephalus

Tropical Kingbird
Tyrannus melancholicus

Black-collared Jay
Cyanolyca armillata

Sharpe's Wren
Cinnycerthia olivascens

Mountain Wren
Troglodytes solstitialis

Gray-breasted Wood-Wren
Henicorhina leucophrys

Andean Solitaire
Myadestes ralloides

Orange-billed Nightingale-Thrush
Catharus aurantiirostris

Swainson's Thrush
Catharus ustulatus

Great Thrush
Turdus fuscater

Rufous-naped Greenlet
Hylophilus semibrunneus

Yellow-billed Cacique
Amblycercus holosericeus

Black-and-white Warbler
Mniotilta varia

Blackburnian Warbler
Dendroica fusca

Canada Warbler
Wilsonia canadensis

Slate-throated Whitestart
Myioborus miniatus

Myioborus ornatus

Black-crested Warbler
Basileuterus nigrocristatus

Russet-crowned Warbler
Basileuterus coronatus

Capped Conebill
Conirostrum albifrons

Masked Flower-piercer
Diglossa cyanea

White-sided Flower-piercer
Diglossa albilatera

Scrub Tanager
Tangara vitriolina

Beryl-spangled Tanager
Tangara nigroviridis

Blue-and-black Tanager
Tangara vassorii

Lacrimose Mountain-Tanager
Anisognathus lacrymosus

Blue-winged Mountain-Tanager
Anisognathus somptuosus

Blue-capped Tanager
Thraupis cyanocephalus

Common Bush-Tanager
Chlorospingus ophthalmicus

Gray-hooded Bush-Tanager
Cnemoscopus rubrirostris

Superciliaried Hemispingus
Hemispingus superciliaris

Black-eared Hemispingus
Hemispingus melanotis

Grass-green Tanager
Chlorornis riefferii

Plushcap
Catamblyrhynchus diadema

Slaty Brush-Finch
Atlapetes schistaceus

Stripe-headed Brush-Finch
Buarremon torquatus

Rufous-collared Sparrow
Zonotrichia capensis

Andean Siskin
Carduelis spinescens

Attachments

• Rio Blanco Field StationDSCF2178.jpg
    Rio Blanco Field StationDSCF2178.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 106
Finishing the report...

Jeff...great report you were delivering... , let me introduce myself, I am Diego Calderon, Jeff's guide in that Nov2007 trip to Colombia.. I just joined the BirdForum and hope to be lots of helpful and find in the forum a great place to ask/give information and bird stuff,,,, specially about COLOMBIA!... my website is going to be fully online soon (www.colombiabirding.com) and a full report of this and other birding trips will be available...

To help Jeff in this thread, and kind of completing the report, here is some more info:

After Rio Blanco (last part of the trip Jeff mentioned), we headed to the W Andes of Antioquia (in the way we stopped at Cauca River canyon and got endemic Colombian Chachalacas)... in Jardin we got excellent views of Yellow-eared Parrtos (very close, some 50 flying as well over our heads), and Tanager Finches and Andean Cocks-of-the-Rocks!!.. plus White-capped Parrots, Mountain Velvetbreasts, Tourmaline Sunangels, Black-throated Tody-Tyrant, among many others!... Tanager Finch and Golden-fronted Whitestart were easy that day as well!...

Going to Medellin city, we stopped at a place weher I have researched Cerulean Warbler foraging behavior (http://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/egc/events/Summit2_2007/13_Calderon.pdf) and Jeff, Judy and Karen could see it..a E species in US, new for them!...

From Medellin we headed to the Magdalena Valley lowlands to Rio Claro reserve, where we got many nice species including White-mantled Barbet (not well seen in this trip.. but easy in the area), Oilbirds, Yellow-tufted Dacnis (endemic form) and Citron-throated Toucan. .. among much other species... then we drove to Bogota and that was the end of the trip...

we spent 10 days and observed 348 species.. had great times and tasted colombian cusine, warmth of the people and beautiful scenery..!!

saludos, Diego.

Diego,

Thanks for the quick wrap-up! The trip was certainly grand. I would echo your sentiments about birding in Colombia - 2008 will be the first year in about six that I won't have a chance to visit your country. I'll have to find a way to make up the time in 2009.

Good birding!

Hi Jeff... yes, it was definitively a great trip... you are more than welcome to come again to Colombia.. as well as anyone else interested...
un abrazo, Diego.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back