• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Exremadura - Spain (1 Viewer)

kstennett

We are thinking of spending a week in this region at the end of April or beginning of May. Can anyone recommend place(s) to stay? (Both general recommendations of towns etc and more specific recommendations of hotels etc would be most welcome)

Thanks
Kath

Hi there

I have stayed twice just outside Castuera, on the C413. I can't quite remember the name of the establishment... Hostal de los Naranjes or something very like that. It was very handy for the Serena, being in the southern of it, but its a fair way north to Montfrague. If it is Bustards, Cranes, Larks and Sandgrouse you are after as opposed the the raptors, I'd thoroughly recommend it...though I did see Black Vultures from the car park!

Got on well with the owner, but that might because he wasa cycling nut and I live by Chris Boardman! Very very strange accent though, I think it was like the Spanish equivalent of a Somerset or Hereford accent!

Last edited:
When went on Extremadura we stayed near Trujillo - this is the website. Fantastic location with azure-winged magpie, hoopoe, short toed treecreeper, woodlark, white stork, scops owl etc. on the site. Trujillo is great for lesser kestrel. It is well located for all the good sites - at most a couple of hours driving.

Kath,

It doesn't look like you've had an official welcome yet, even though you have been around for some time, so, on behalf of admin and all the moderators, let me welcome you to Bird Forum.

We are also going to Extremadura in May, to the place that Robin mentions, for a week's guided birding tour with an ex-colleague of mine - a very experienced birder. He says it's a fantastic place, so we're really looking forward to it.

digi-birder said:
We are also going to Extremadura in May, to the place that Robin mentions, for a week's guided birding tour with an ex-colleague of mine - a very experienced birder. He says it's a fantastic place, so we're really looking forward to it.
We went with Speyside Wildlife and it is a great place - I am sure you will enjoy it. The owner serves some interesting after dinner drinks!

robinm said:
We went with Speyside Wildlife and it is a great place - I am sure you will enjoy it. The owner serves some interesting after dinner drinks!

And can you still see the birds after these mysterious tipples??

Kath,

Trujillo, which is about 3 hours drive from Madrid is a wonderful place to stay; Pallid Swift, Lesser Kestrel and nesting White Stork; lovely old town with conqustador connections.
You're only minutes away from grassland with both Bustards; you should see both late April (before the grasses get too long).
Best of all, Monfrague is only 1 hours drive away (Spanish Imperial Eagle, Rock Bunting, Bonelli's Eagle, Black Stork, Eagle Owl, Griffon and Egyptian Vultures, Azure Winged Magpie) amongst many others.
A wonderful holiday deffinetly. Spain is, without a doubt, my favourite European birding country, and Extremadura is probably my favourite part of Spain.

Mark

Truillo is a brilliant place to stay as already mentioned. If you are considering the Finca Santa Marta you need to book soon as they are very popular. We stayed at the Hotel Leon in the town itself. Quite comfortable and quiet. The birds of the area are plentiful and confiding. We were there in early May last year and got all our target species bar one. We did feel, however, that we were too far from Monfrague NP as it took ages to drive anywhere. This was because we kept stopping to birdwatch! We managed 93 species in a week of touristy pursuits as well as birding. If you want more info PM me.

Ivan

Thank you all. This is very helpful. I had already stumbled across the web site of Finca Santa Marta during my internet searching and had wondered about it so your comments on that were especially useful. I think I might go for that!

We are planning to land at Madrid and drive down. Its quite a long drive isn't it? But is it pretty straightforward? Especially leaving the airport?

Diane thanks for the welcome! Yes, I've been a member for a while but mostly I just lurk around reading things ... I haven't posted much. Thats probably why I went unnoticed!

Kath

digi-birder said:
And can you still see the birds after these mysterious tipples??
Of course. But it does make searching for scops owl in the garden at midnight an interesting experience ;)

digi-birder said:
You're welcome, Kath.

Maybe we'll bump into one another at the Finca! We're there from the 10th to 16th May.

Its a shame but we'll be there either the week before that or maybe even a fortnight earlier. Our son is doing his A levels this year starting mid May and I feel the need to be at home to nag him mercilessly about revision!!

Kath

Hi Kath,
I would suggest staying in the village of Torrejon el Rubio. It is a 30 min drive from the main NV(5) motorway from Madrid to Portugal -leave motorway at Jaraicejo (which is two & a half hours drive from Madrid airport).
Torrejon is right next to Monfrague NP so its easy to visit in the early mornings when the park is empty. In May expect the possibility of 5 sp of Eagle, 3 sp of Vulture, 3 sp of Kite, Black Stork, Eagle Owl , Scops Owl, & many many more. A pre-dawn visit to Portilla del Tietar in Monfrague almost guarantees Eagle Owls -often with Red-necked Nightjar as supporting cast.
Apart from Monfrague you are 50 mins drive from Almaraz -good for Purple Gallinules, Purple heron, Little bittern, Egrets, Great Reed & Savi's warbler, Marsh harrier,etc. 1 hours drive to the north takes you to the Jerte valley -potential of Honey Buzzard, Bluethroat, Water pipit, Rock thrush & other montane species as well as heaps of Golden Oriole. 15 mins drive to the south takes you through good Dehesa for Black shouldered Kite & a reliable breeding site for Spanish Imperial Eagle whilst a further 30 min drive leads over the Rio Almonte bridge (Alpine swift, Spanish Sparrow, Red-rumped Swallow) down to the plains north of Caceres where the Santa Marta de Magasca road is great for steppe species. In June 2002 I had both Bustard, both Sandgrouse, heaps of Montagu harriers, Calandra lark, Black eared Wheatear, Stone Curlew & immature Great spotted Cuckoo (the adults have often already departed by mid-May). It is a 90 minute drive from Torrejon to Merida, 50 mins to Trujillo & about 90+ mins to Guadelupe -which with Caceres(50 mins) are all worth visiting for the buildings, restaurants & roof top birds(some good wetland birds in Merida).
In Torrejon there are 2 reasonable hotel options:
The Hotel Carvajal is a small cheap, clean family run hotel in Torrejon. The food is good local cuisine -though you'll struggle if your vegetarian. They also have small apartments in an adjacent rural house which are complete with a small kitchen & are perfect for birders who keep unusual hours. These apartments are very reasonably priced. The owners only speak Spanish but are very friendly & obliging. I stayed there with my wife & 2 kids whilst my mother-in-law stayed in the hotel ( she came along as she speaks fluent Castillian). The owner is very understanding of birders -he took me to a Spanish Imperial Eagle nest (2 youngsters) on the understanding that I didnt publicise the site-though if you stay there you could always ask him!! : website:
www.monfrague.net/ingles/index.html The other dearer option is the Hospederia de Monfrague-bigger, more expensive but with more facilities -double rooms are about 94 euros per night with duplex rooms (small apartments) 120 euros. I've stayed there ( in the Duplex apartments) for a family holiday in August -the rooms are air-conditioned but Extremadura is hot in August. We had Crag martins & Red rumped Swallows from the balcony with frequent overhead Bee-eaters, Black, Egyptian & Griffon vultures, Booted Eagle & the odd Black Kite(most have left by august but are amazingly common in spring). Website:
www.alextur.net/hotel/monfrague/index.html
Sorry for making this posting so long but I would be happy to give further info if required. I had toyed with the idea of writing a trip report on Extremadura but am not sure there would be much of a demand for it. Its a great & fairly cheap place to visit & is a surprisingly good venue for a family holiday as long as your kids are fairly easy-going(mine were 5 & 9 years when we visited).
Cheers,
Steve

I wrote a report for here in 93 with sdetailed maps of the best sites - which don't change much!) You can get it from Steve Whitehouse...he has added bits to it over the yearsa. You can actually stay in the national park itself therby cutting down on travel. You need a tent though!

Steve G said:
Hi Kath,
I would suggest staying in the village of Torrejon el Rubio. It is a 30 min drive from the main NV(5) motorway from Madrid to Portugal -leave motorway at Jaraicejo (which is two & a half hours drive from Madrid airport).
Cheers,
Steve

Thank you for such a long and interesting message Steve. The Hotel Carvajal looks to be another very good option as we certainly do want to visit Monfragüe.

Now I really do need to make up my mind and get this holiday booked!

Kath

kstennett said:
We are thinking of spending a week in this region at the end of April or beginning of May. Can anyone recommend place(s) to stay? (Both general recommendations of towns etc and more specific recommendations of hotels etc would be most welcome)

Thanks
Kath

Hi

I spent two weeks in the area in May 2003. I can only echo everyone else's views in emphasising what a wonderful area it is.

We split the time between two different areas. For the first week we stayed in Malpartida de Plascensia in a charming family run hotel called the Posada de Amonaria. This is just to the north of the Monfrague National Park, but is also an excellent base to explore the foothills of the Gredos mountains where you can see some unusual species like Citril Finch and Rock Thrush.

For the second week we were based at the Finca, an excellent hotel and very close to the steppe areas.

Most of the birds are fantastically easy to see, we only dipped on Black Bellied Sandgrouse and Stone Curlew. On a personal note I found La Serena slightly disappointing. The steppe species were easier to see on the Belen Steppes, and it is an extremely hot, barren enviroment by May.

Hope this is of some help.

Kath, I don't know what others think but I'm convinced you need to be as close to Monfrague as possible to get the full benefit of the place. There are some excellent walks in the park & it rains raptors. In the early morning & the evenings the place is deserted. My wife & I managed to see Wild Boar, Otters & Genet there as a consequence of staying adjacent to the park.
The Jerte valley is in easy reach for montane species & there are some glorious walks there also such as La Garganta de los Infiernos(the Throat of Hell) which despite its grim name is a beautiful place -lush, green, humid & cool. As I mentioned Almaraz is close & is an excellent wetland site for reedbed birds especially. Though the Belen plains are near Trujillo & the Finca Santa Marta the plains north of Caceres to the west of the village of Santa Marta de Magasca are only a short drive from Torrejon & I easily found all the steppe species there fairly quickly despite having the family in tow( Black-shouldered Kite is also regular just to the north of this area at Monroy).
Get John Muddeman's book on Birding in Extremadura & Ernest Garcia & Andy Paterson's book-Where to Watch Birds in Southern & Western Spain. It is also very worthwhile getting hold of Malcolm Rymer's video on Birding in Extremadura to get a year round flavour of the place-it is entitled Azure wings in the Dog's bowl (-a reference to the Iberian Magpies that visit the gardens at the Finca Santa Marta).
I've enclosed some scanned compressed images-apologies for their poor quality. The steppe species were photographed from our hire car on the St. Marta de Magasca road, the nest is of Spanish Imperial Eagle + Spanish Sparrow colony-this pair are apparently consistently successful breeders usually rearing 2 youngsters. The Eagle Owl image is from the incredible Portilla del Tietar site in Monfrague-the young were often visible as well. The scenic images are mainly from Monfrague NP but includes one very poor quality image of what was an incredibly beautiful sunset seen looking west from a col off the Jerte valley towards the massive reservoir of Garcia y Galan.
Wherever you decide to stay make sure you visit Caceres, Trujillo & especially Merida (the Roman ruins there are amazing & we saw Purple heron, Little Bittern, White Stork, Cattle & Little Egrets & Alpine & Pallid Swift from the old Puente Romano-which reminds me -if you go after the first week in May check out the Castillo in Monfrague for White-rumped Swift). Have a great time. ;)

Attachments

• MERGE1.jpg
    MERGE1.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 164
  • MERGE2.jpg
    MERGE2.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 186
  • MERGE3.jpg
    MERGE3.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 175
I'd recommend taking a tent and stopping at Camping Monfrague, which is just north of the park. Hotels are for wimps!. Azure winged 'pies hopping around the tent at breakfast time....happy memories!

kstennett said:
We are planning to land at Madrid and drive down. Its quite a long drive isn't it? But is it pretty straightforward? Especially leaving the airport?

Driving in Spain is a piece of cake, Kath, although I am used to driving on the right! it was very easy to navigate from Madrid airport and there is very little traffic compared to the UK and everything clearly marked. The only danger is when the driver is too busy craning his neck to look at those Short-toed Eagles overhead or the brilliant Rollers on the phone lines.

The word Extremadura is magic to my ears and you'll have a superb time. As everyone says it's a fabulous destination and Trujillo makes an ideal base with White Storks, Pallid Swifts, Lesser Kestrels and Griffon and Black Vultures all flying over the market place!

Interesting to note that Ben found La Serena disappointing. We found it to be by far the best steppe area (followed by the plains west of Santa Marta de Magasca) with all the specialities easily located. Of course, birds move around and what's good at one time may not be good at another time. We were there in mid-April and it was still COLD on the steppes, reminded us of spring birding in Iceland! A friend of mien went in June and said it was hopeless for birding in 44°C. Ironically Stone Curlew was commonest on the Belen Steppe (see Ben's post)! Definitely recommend John Muddeman's Birdwatching guide to Extremadura. Don't leave home without it.

Enjoy!

E

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back