• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suggestions for a late autumn trip (1 Viewer)

StuartReeves

Local rarity
Myself and a friend (Mollymawk of this parish) are considering a foreign birding trip somewhen late this year. We have been kicking a few ideas about but would be interested to hear if anyone else has any interesting suggestions. Thus, any ideas for destinations meeting some or all of the following criteria?

1, Good chance of new birds for both of us.
2, No longer than ten days (so not too far. Probably)
3, Not too much driving
4, Worth visiting in the period from mid Oct to end Nov
5, Not too expensive
6, Charismatic megafauna a bonus
7, Good weather,
8, Good food

Looking forward to your inspiration...

Stuart

Morocco, top notch stuff, not going to break the bank and Desert Sparrows fit the charismatic label.

Otherwise, New York City ...not so expensive, don't need anything above public transport and should be pretty good stuff through Jamaica bay and Central Park, esp at the beginning of your stated periods. City would have to do for the charismatic bit though.

Wild car offering - the Gambia, especially if left till the latter part of your period. Go upriver for Egyptian Plover and Carmine Bee-eater.

Masochistic offering - Lithuania in November, no birds, crap weather, diabolical food.

Another vote for The Gambia.
In October-early November breeding plumage Wydahs, Bishops; plenty of Woodland Kingfishers, Cuckoos & other intra-African migrants about.

Upriver trip to Tendaba then on to Basse via Kaur wetlands -Egyptian Plover, Goliath Heron, White-backed Night Heron,etc. A boat trip from Kuntaur to Janjangbureh will pass large breeding colonies of Herons including Intermediate & Black Egrets with a good chance of Finfoot. Megafauna in the form of Hippo, Baboons & Chimps seen on Baboon Islands.
Potentially 4 sp of Roller, 8 sp Bee-eater, 7 sp Kingfisher, lots of raptors including Bataleur, Martial Eagle, African Hawk Eagle, 5+ sp Vulture, 3 sp Circaetus Eagles, heeps of Sunbirds..........

Some great restaurants at the Kololi strip & elsewhere on the coast, sunny weather & only 6 hour flight from UK. 10 day option with tuesday & friday flights, many budget hotel options & some good guides with vehicles available so no self-driving.

Good stuff so far; I can reveal that both Morocco and the Gambia have featured in our discussions so far, but for some reason we hadn't considered Lithuania.

Any more suggestions?

Stuart

Portugal? At south west.

Not so exotic but meet some of your criteria:
1. October is time of raptor migrations (including Vultures). The new species depend on your personal bird list...
2. Very close. About 2hours and half flying.
3. You must to drive, as there aren't public transports to the nature and best birdwatching areas
4. Oct and (begining of) Nov is good (mild weather and out of tourist pic)
5. Not very expensive
6. You will find charismatic people, but not megafauna, as in this little country everything is little!
7. Good weather, yes.
8. Fantastic food everywhere! The best place to eat! : )

Thanks for all the food for thought people. Nothing booked yet, but we have more or less decided on Oman.

Stuart

That sounds fabulous, I approve ;)

(I guess the November offering in birdless Lithuania with shite weather and food that could better be used as a doorstop didn't appeal then?)

Hmm, he thinks, I wonder how much is a birding trip to Oman would set one back - currently scratching my head for my mid-winter trip, had brief ideas of Kuwait, but it didn't do enough to muster up the enthusiasm.

Hmm, he thinks, I wonder how much is a birding trip to Oman would set one back - currently scratching my head for my mid-winter trip, had brief ideas of Kuwait, but it didn't do enough to muster up the enthusiasm.

Haven't priced anything up yet, but flights from London seem to come in at around 300-350 GBP. The trip reports make the birding sound good, though many of the sites (landfills, sewage farms) don't sound immediately appealing. That said, what swung it for us was a comment from Edward of this parish that a friend of his had come back from a trip there raving about both the birdiing and the scenery.

Haven't priced anything up yet, but flights from London seem to come in at around 300-350 GBP. The trip reports make the birding sound good, though many of the sites (landfills, sewage farms) don't sound immediately appealing. That said, what swung it for us was a comment from Edward of this parish that a friend of his had come back from a trip there raving about both the birdiing and the scenery.

Interesting indeed, about £400 to Dubai from here (but flights are rarely cheap from this neck of the woods). Car hire not too bad, a spot of camping in the desert, boobies and maybe tropicbirds over the islands, hmm.

Don't knock Kuwait guys!
And what's more it's in the Western Palearctic if that's an important consideration.

Chris

Hmmm, Kuwait really doesn't sound like my kind of place. As for the WP, the southern and eastern boundaries are a bit too artificial for my liking and I am happy to travel further in either direction if it means better birding in wilder surroundings.

Don't knock Kuwait guys!
And what's more it's in the Western Palearctic if that's an important consideration.

Chris

I'm a fan of much of the Middle East, spent quite good periods in Syria and Jordan, even briefly into Iraq and Afghanistan, and the idea of a return this year is tempting indeed. I mulled Kuwait for a while and saw your excellent report, but the country simply didn't tick the boxes. In fact, the more reports I read, the less I wanted to go there. Oman offers more varied landscapes, better birds and is going to be cheaper. The more I read, the more I want to go there. Kuwait I am sure would satisfy, but the wild expanses of Oman actually excite.

Fully understand the importance of the Western Palearctic to some, but not really a concern for me, birds are birds, better I see them beyond an arbitary line than to the backdrop of scummy oil compounds where the locals blast everything that flies.

Fully understand the importance of the Western Palearctic to some, but not really a concern for me, birds are birds, better I see them beyond an arbitary line than to the backdrop of scummy oil compounds where the locals blast everything that flies.

Couldn't have put it better myself!

Well, I have had fantastic trips in November to India and Kenya. Bit longer than your ten days, but if you want to do it cheaply then Kenya would be a good bet. You can probably get some good beach holiday deals and then book a safari package to Tsavo or even the Maasi Mara. If you want megafauna then Kenya has plenty and from Mombasa you can do a snorkelling trip with wild dolphins which is one amazing experience.

Alternatively, if you decide on India I can put you in touch with my friend who does tailor made tours (She did such a good job in fact that myself and another customner have already booked to go back with her to India next February!). Given the amount of time you have you probably want to restrict the amount of time spent travelling so I'd suggest you could take a trip to the Nainital area for some great birds like collared falconet, barbets, laughingthrushes, red-billed blue magpies, water redstarts, forktails, great slaty woodpecker, and spend a few days in Corbett national park for the chance of tiger and asian elephant.

You can read my trip reports and see photos of my trips here:

India (Better camera so better pics):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8773601@N03/sets/72157603341038890/

Kenya:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8773601@N03/sets/72157600333638050/

I'm actually off to Botswana in October, but thats for 16 days!

We probably wont meet Stuart, but last night I decided to go seawatching near Salalah; will be off the 24 th and return the 10th of August.
I aim for some crackin' seabirds and will probably spend a lot of time at Ras Mirbat.
Could get you some info when I return.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back