• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Willow Warbler? in Rudong,East China (1 Viewer)

mcaribou

Migration coming
On 21st we met this warbler at Yangkou,Rudong,150km north of Shanghai just after a thunderstorm,with a lot of Arctic Warblers.Its yellow breast,head-side and vent makes it like a White-eye.
The primary projection seems not so long as in Wood Warbler.From below,it has no broad-chest effect.Could anyone tell other id notes helpful from this pic eg the tertial edges?
Another question is about the vent.Could a Willow or a Wood get a yellow vent like this?
Either of the two will be treated as a vagrant here,and my lifer.So I have no experience on it.
Thx for help!

Attachments

• 20080921_37ca5c4b87c3c3f4caa5fAcZVEjtog9D.jpg
    20080921_37ca5c4b87c3c3f4caa5fAcZVEjtog9D.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 267
It's a Wood Warbler:
-brightly neon yellow supercilium and throat
-silky white breast and belly
-brightly green upperparts
-short tail
They sometimes have a slightly yellowish vent.

Mcaribou,

Agree with Cau, It's a Wood Warbler - an astonishing record especially considering the location. There are I believe very few recent records in China except perhaps the Altai Mountains? One in Xinjiang Sept 2004
Congratulations!! Better send this one into the China Bird Report

Mark

Thx all!
I'm one of the editors of China Bird Report:).This summer in Altai Mt some Taiwan birders saw several Wood.
But I checked some pics on the internet and wondering how long could the primary projection in Wood?Obviously longer than in Willow or not?

Hi Mcaribou,

Slightly longer in Wood but emphasised more due to the shorter tail

I'm one of the editors of China Bird Report:) not under the name Mcaribou! ;)

Mark

Hi Mcaribou,

Slightly longer in Wood but emphasised more due to the shorter tail

I'm one of the editors of China Bird Report:) not under the name Mcaribou! ;)

Mark

I see the 'shorter tail',thx!
In another forum,someone says its primary projection is not so long and he guesses it's a young bird.So I wonder is the yellow vent a hint of a young Wood which is not shown in the typical adult in my Collins book?
As in Willow,a young bird with some yellow in underpart wont show this contrasting 3 stages(yellow-white-yellow) effect,right?

Mcaribou,

I'm personally not sure how much of your Yellow Vent is actually a reflection of the surrounding vegetation but basically, a Willow Warbler would show a greater extent of yellow on the underparts and much lower and more suffused. The silky white breast with an obvious yellow cut off is indicative of Wood in addition to the brighter green upperparts, bright yellow super and throat plus the shorter tail.
see this - http://www.surfbirds.com/blog/uploads/c/calidrislanza/8212.jpg
I'm not sure what race of Willow Warbler could potentially occur in China if at all, but my guess would be the pale, rather bleached greyish white northern birds. Is Willow Warbler actually on the China list?

Regards

Mark

A fantastic record for E China!

Even more important - if it can get to Shanghai . . . it can get to Hong Kong . . .

But since we are having one of the quietest autumns of all time (it seems that all our birds are in the Northern Isles of the UK) I guess it won't happen anytime soon.

Cheers
Mike

I didnt take pics,just watched it.The yellow on vent was real from any angle of view.
Jesper Hornskov had a record of Willow Warbler at Beidaihe(China Bird Report 2006).

Cheers
Zhang Lin

Amazingly a Willow Warbler was photographed at Long Valley in Hong Kong , also in autumn 2008, and another one was in Taiwan around the same time.

You can see a little more on this here.

Cheers
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back