• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon SE 8x32 vs. Zeiss Victory FL 7x42 T* ??? (1 Viewer)

BobinKy

There are two models that give me the itch for daytime use.

. . . Nikon SE 8x32

. . . Zeiss Victory FL 7x42 T*

I know these two binoculars are different in specifications and price. I guess my struggle is whether to

(a) Buy the Nikon SE 8x32 now (before the remaining supplies end) or

(b) Save my money and wait until I can purchase the Zeiss Victory FL 7x42 T*

I have read all of the reviews and comments I can search on BF, as well as other forums. This is a sincere post. I appreciate any and all comments and suggestions.

--------------------
Bob
Kentucky, USA

***I also posted this thread at the BF Nikon forum and Cloudy Nights Binocular forum.

Last edited:
By this, do you mean that you have tried both, and so know that _you_ like them both? If not, that might answer the question apart from other considerations.

If you have other binos already, that you already like almost as well, then I suppose there is no harm in waiting/saving if you decided to. Otherwise, you should consider how long you would be deferring this enjoyment relative to your own longevity.

Do you insist on buying new? If not, that could free you to consider getting both. Both have excellent 2nd owner warranties from the manufacturer.

All else being equal, and if you are buying new, I'd say get the Nikon 8x32 SE. It seems unlikely that we'll see its equal or better in the "near" future. The Zeiss, on the other hand, is a fine bino, but to me it doesn't distinguish itself as being a unique product, nor so outstanding in comparison to its closest competitors as the Nikon SE. There are plenty of fairly equivalent substitutes now, there will be plenty to choose among in the future, and it is easy to imagine that superior products will be available in the future.

--AP

Alexis--

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I have other binoculars that I use.

DAYTIME USE
Pentax Papillon 6.5x21 reverse porro cf
Leupold Katmai 6x32 roof cf
Minox HG BR 8x33 roof cf
Swift Audubon 802 ED 8.5x44 porro cf
Pentax DCF ED 10x50 roof cf

TRIPOD (or night) USE
Fujinon FMT-SX 7x50 porro IF
Fujinon FMT-SX 16x70 porro IF
KOWA TSN-661 spotting scope, 30X wide eyepiece

No, I have never used either the Nikon SE 8x32 or the Zeiss Victory 7x42.

What I miss in my two daytime compacts (Katmai 6x32 and Minox 8x33) are sharp distant landscape views with a slow fine focus. The Katmai is bright and fun to use, however, it is difficult to obtain a sharp focus in distant landscape views, and the contrast is less than I enjoy with either the Pentax ED 10x50, Audubon ED 8.5x44, or the two Fujinons. On the other hand, I really enjoy the Minox in close woods--up to 25 yards--beyond 25 yards the quick focus and shallow depth of field leave me a little frustrated when I go for distant landscape views.

The Fujinon 7x50 gives me perfect landscape views (as far as I know), however it is large, heavy, and individual focus. The Audubon ED 8.5x44 also gives me wonderful landscape views and has a nice slow fine focus, however, the Audubon is bulky on the mountain trail. The Pentax ED 10x50 also gives me wonder landscape views and has a slow fine focus, but the FOV is only 5°. I tried the smaller Pentax DCF ED 8x32 for three weeks and was pleased with the landscape views, however, the eyelet knobs (used to attach the neck strap) rubbed against the bones in my hands and were not comfortable for viewing for long periods of time. When I walk along trails that offer mountain vistas, I tend to rest for long periods and enjoy leisurely views with my binoculars. A friend once told me to pack them all in a back pack.

I guess I am looking for a light binocular to give me sharp and beautiful views of distant mountain landscapes with a 7.5° FOV (or larger). I also enjoy the 3-D porro effect during landscape viewing.

I am leaning toward the Nikon SE 8x32, for the reasons you mentioned in your last paragraph, which appears to be good advice. [Opps! we are on the Zeiss forum, not the Nikon forum.)

Thank you,
Bob
Kentucky, USA

Last edited:
Bob:

if you do go the SE route I'd love to see a write up comparing the 820ED and the SE.

Not seen a review comparing the two "last" great porros ;)

Bob:

if you do go the SE route I'd love to see a write up comparing the 820ED and the SE.

Not seen a review comparing the two "last" great porros ;)

I've used both of those glasses pretty extensively and they are quite different. The 820EDs feel much larger in the hand. They have superb color correction and brightness and their center sharpness is comparable. The 8x32 SEs are smaller, more rugged feeling and have sharper views away from the center. The 820EDs have pull out eyecups that don't lock at any distance, the SE's have folding rubber. The 8x32SEs have plenty of relief for eyeglass wearers, the 820EDs don't have enough. If I didn't need glasses for astigmatism, I would surely still own a pair of the 820EDs.

The 8x32SEs are a hell of a binocular. There are a lot of reasons to like the Zeiss FLs (I own the 8x32FLs myself), but I don't believe any other glass (that is, of reasonable size and weight for birding) shows me the detail and distance resolution I see through the Nikons. I would probably feel differently about the comparison if I were into butterflies, but it seems that every time a new, sexy line of roofs comes out they get a little closer to the 8x32SE view, but IMO they haven't caught up yet.

I guess I will be the lone voice choosing the 7x42 FL over the 8x32 SE. In my experience I think you have picked the two finest binoculars, optically, currently on the market. Both have been raved about for some time now. My personal favorite comment on the FL is from the Cloudy Night forum in which someone started a thread titled "Binocular of the gods...the Zeiss 7x42 FL". ;)

I think each has its own really strong points to differentiate from the other. The Nikon has superb depth of field for an 8x and excellent edge to edge sharpness. The 7x42 FL is the brightest binocular I have ever looked through with superb sharpness. I have never looked through a sharper, brighter binocular. Both have their weaknesses as well. The SE has the rubber eyecups and the lack of true waterproofing. The FL has that bit of astigmatism around the outer portion of the field of view.

One would have a hard time ignoring the price difference though. At one third the price the SE clearly is the better value. However, if price was no issue then I would buy the 7x42 FL over and over again....over any other binocular. Optically it is simply outstanding.

...if price was no issue then I would buy the 7x42 FL over and over again....
I thought that was your main hobby. I thought you were collecting statistical data on quality control issues.

I guess I will be the lone voice choosing the 7x42 FL over the 8x32 SE.

Actually, I don't think we disagree--if I were to pick one of them to be my only birding bino, I'd go with the FL. My previous answer was written in the knowledge that BobinKy already has a number of binoculars, therefore already has his basic needs met, yet will likely acquire more in the future. Thus my response was meant more as an answer to the question of which bino to add to his collection now, or first (with no consideration of cost).

Bob, you've since stated that your intended use is to scan distant landscapes. In that case, I'd go w/the SE since it delivers beautiful sharpness over nearly all of the view--a desirable feature for scenic viewing.

--AP

Everyone--

I want to thank everyone for helping me put this decision in perspective and identify some of the less obvious differences between the Nikon SE 8x32 and Zeiss Victory 7x42.

I placed an order for the Nikon SE 8x32.

Someday, I may be able to add the Zeiss Victory, or its successor, to my collection. However, since I desire to view distant landscapes (in sharp focus with ample depth of field), and I have limited funds at this time, I agree with many of you that the Nikon SE 8x32 is the right choice.

Thank you, once again.

--Bob
Kentucky, USA

Last edited:
I think you made the right choice. The Zeisses are terrific, but I know that if I'm needing to see that last, nth degree of detail and I don't have my SE's in hand, I always feel I'm at a disadvantage.

They are here! Today is Monday, I ordered the Nikon SE 8x32 on Saturday afternoon, and they are on my doorstep when I get home tonight after work. I cannot believe at the speed of how quickly I received them. They are here.

I opened the box--which is brand new and has never been opened before--and remove the SEs. Yup, the aperture lens caps are hard to remove. I will have to look into the Bushwacker caps # 6, recommended by Brock over at the Cloudy Days and Microscopes forum here at Cloudy Nights. They are here.

It is 7:30 p.m., dark outside--but who cares? They are here.

I place the SEs against my face. Oh, how nice they feel in my hands. The armor cover acts as if it was made for my fingertips. Man, Nikon knew what they were doing when they designed this baby. They are here.

When I first look through them I see black outs. But, I have not adjusted to my 67mm IPD. So I adjust the oculars to my eye width. Perfect fit. No black outs. They are here.

I aim for the house two streets over. The house has a street light at the corner and the roof and chimney is well let. I gasp--and I have not even touched the focus knob. They are here.

I focus on the lighted chimney. I gasp twice: Gasp! Gasp! I have never seen such clarity Every millimeter of the view is so clear. And this is night with 32mm apertures. I cannot believe it. Inside, my Fujinon 7x50 must be crying. They are here.

I walk inside and wrap them back up in the plastic that they came in. I want to place a few slits in the aperture caps before I put them back on. I also want to try the Bushwackers. They are here.

My wife calls out: "What did you get in your package?"

I quickly hide the box and packing. "Oh, nothing much," I shout from behind my closed study door. They are here, this time whispering to myself.

Oh, I will confess the deed. They are my Christmas present and my wife has not bought anything for me, yet. Anyway, I thought I would have till Friday--four more days--to prepare the unveiling. They are here.

A friend over at the Cloudy Nights forum will be disappointed. But they are here. And the EIIs are there in England and I am here and they are here and I can touch them and I hold them in my hands and I can watch the sunrise in the morning with them and . . . They are here.

I check my e-mail. There is a reply from Warehouse Express of Norwich, England. I sent them an e-mail yesterday asking about inventory of the EIIs and delivery to Kentucky. I open the reply and read that they currently are unable to deliver to the USA. That's OK. That's fine. That's perfect. Because--the SEs are here with me in my Kentucky study. They are here.

And I am so excited. I want to thank everyone who . . . Wait that will be another post, tomorrow's post. This is tonight's post. The unveiling post. The shouting post. The bouncing post. They are here.

Yes, I will submit more reports on the SEs. I am already thinking of some face-offs with the Swift Audubon 820 ED 8.5x44, and, yes, even a faceoff with the king of my optical case, the Fujinon FMT-SX 7x50. Will Fuji be cast down from the throne? Will SE wear the crown, earn the No. 1 spot in my optical case? We shall see in the months ahead. They are here.

. . .

Can you tell that I am excited?

--Bob
Kentucky, USA

Your childlike excitment has put a smile on my face this morning. Good for you, but I'm a bit jealous. I'm really looking forward to your review.
John

There are two models that give me the itch for daytime use.

. . . Nikon SE 8x32

. . . Zeiss Victory FL 7x42 T*

I know these two binoculars are different in specifications and price. I guess my struggle is whether to

(a) Buy the Nikon SE 8x32 now (before the remaining supplies end) or

(b) Save my money and wait until I can purchase the Zeiss Victory FL 7x42 T*

I have read all of the reviews and comments I can search on BF, as well as other forums. This is a sincere post. I appreciate any and all comments and suggestions.

--------------------
Bob
Kentucky, USA

***I also posted this thread at the BF Nikon forum and Cloudy Nights Binocular forum.

For daytime use I would take the 8x32 hands down. Reduced weight and increased magnification and lower cost would all be strong reasons to buy the 8x32. I don't have the specs, but I believe the AFOV is about the same in these glasses.

Sorry I did not reply sooner. Some health concerns have been keeping me off the net.

Congratulations on the new binoculars. The SEs are superb. You will get many years of wonderful service from them.

Enjoy the view! :)

I aim for the house two streets over. The house has a street light at the corner and the roof and chimney is well let. I gasp--and I have not even touched the focus knob. They are here.

I often test on a parked car at the street. But it is always there, and I have memorized the plate number now, even if I can't quite read it. Will have to pick new targets.

I am glad to see you so happy!

I will be waiting with bated breath to read your comparison with my beloved Audubons. A couple of years ago I left them on the roof of the car as I drove off and they were very broke. I got them fixed but not to my complete satisfaction. I have been toying with the idea of buying another pair for over a year. I far prefer the feel of a porro. Should I consider the Nikon?
My two concerns would be eye relief and ruggedness (I understand its not waterproof but can they withstand being car bins?)
Or is it too late? They seem to be roughly the same price as the Audubon ED's.

If you are a porro fan, you should definitely try the SE. In my experience, their center resolution is comparable to the Audubon ED, their edge sharpness is better, and they are a good deal more compact than even the 820ED. I've also found them to be very rugged, though I've never had the heart to leave mine in the car full time so I can't report on that one way or another.

It sounds like you are a person who knows pretty well what you like and don't like, so I would suggest you buy a pair of SEs from a place with a good return policy like Amazon, so if they don't suit you you can just send them back. FWIW, I have biggish hands and the SEs are very comfortable in them.

Last edited:
Just out of curiousity, what would be the main selling point of the 820ED versus the 8x32 SE. The 820 ED is one of those binoculars I have always toyed with buying but never actually pulled the proverbial trigger.

Thanks.

Just out of curiousity, what would be the main selling point of the 820ED versus the 8x32 SE. The 820 ED is one of those binoculars I have always toyed with buying but never actually pulled the proverbial trigger.

They're still available? ;)

I don't have the 820 but I do have another bin with the same enclosure and the SE is lighter and more compact with I think a better grip for more people. The 820 is a bit more conventionally sized (though not BIG by old standards).

Better (longer) effective eye relief in the SE but with the downside of perhaps too much.

For the 820ED the advantages would be: still current product; ED glass to remove longitudinal CA; waterproof and fogproof claimed; bigger exit pupil; that extra 0.5x magnification (!).

I think it's biggest claim has to be as "the last top-end porro" in production. It is a classic.

Still not tried one ... as a glasses wearer the lack of effective ER in the 820 has scared me off but I've come close on a few occasions. Maybe sometime in the future.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back