• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2004 theme challenge categories. (1 Viewer)

IanF

In order to make the monthly theme challenges more attainable for everyone and in particular 35 mm users, we have decided to post the coming monthly themes in advance. They are however subject to amendment in particular in respect of themes being nominated as prize competitions which will periodically appear.

Jan - Yardbirds (on feeders or just in your garden)
Feb - Members portrait
Mar - Birds and Man
Apr - Wildlife photo
May - Birds in flight
Jun - Humorous bird photo
Jul - Birds and Water
Aug - Butterflies and Insects
Sep - Flock of Birds (changed from 'Your birding locale')
Oct - Single Bird (changed from 'Flock of birds')
Nov - Camouflaged birds
Dec - Holidays card

Detailed descriptions of the theme will appear at the beginning of each month or queries can be answered in advance in this thread.

Last edited:
Well it appears to be a nice, well-rounded assortment with something for most of us. I'll be sharpening up my digiscoping for the May flight category (LOL)! Film users need advance warning you say! But you never know; maybe we all need a little push now and then to better ourselves. Let's see what happens! If I point at a bit of sky beginning soon, something may fly through my view by the closing date! There's just a bit of problem due to the 4-second delay on the remote shutter, but I'll work on it. Thanks for posting these. And I love all the great improvements around the site too.

Change in Sept theme?

The theme seems to have changed to "one bird", as per the sticky thread "2004 challenge theme categories"..

The advance list of themes as stated in the original posting are subject to change.

The September theme as posted above and launched on 1st September is 'Flock of Birds' having been changed from 'Your Birding Locale'.

The 'Single Bird' theme is a possible theme for October changed from 'Flock of Birds'.

Contests

Can anyone tell me the photo size limitation for contest entries? And other than theme limits are there any rules I should be aware of?
:h?:

Hi Photonut,

Details of the October will be posted shortly, but meanwhile photo size limits are those governed by the Gallery software ie. maximum of 200 kb and 800x800. 'Normal' sizes would be 640x480 and 800x600.

IanF said:
Hi Photonut,

Details of the October will be posted shortly, but meanwhile photo size limits are those governed by the Gallery software ie. maximum of 200 kb and 800x800. 'Normal' sizes would be 640x480 and 800x600.
THANKS IAN I think I've got the picture. (ignore the pun)

It's a good plan showing the subjects for the whole year so you can save your photos for the right month.

I know it's only October, but any chance of setting a few categories for early 2005 so we have a bit of time to prepare?

ps mr/ms admin - this site is great :)

humminbird said:
How does one post an entry?

Mark
Bastrop, TX
Hi Mark.

If you go to the main Gallery page and then scroll down, you will see a list of different categories. Monthly Photo Comp is your last category. Click on that and upload from there.

The cut off date for entries this month is 21st midnight (BST).

Within a day or so of the competition ending IanF puts a voting thread up showing all the qualifying entries. You are able to see all the entries by thumbnail or a slide show. You can then just vote for your favourite. This runs for 7 days.

Some months we do have prize competitions, the qualifying rules on this may vary slightly to other monthly ones i.e may have to be a member for at least a month. So always check them out.

I imagine Ian will probably give detailed advice on the allowed and not allowed once this months competition is out the way.

The details of the December competiton will not be posted until the closure of this months competition.

However Rules will be similar to those for the other prize competitions this year. The theme itself will be more relaxed still requiring the prominent presence of a bird but permitting more artistic designs as well.

This may seem a nieve question as you may have been asked this before, but whats to stop someone voting for thier own photograph a zillion times thus winning hands down....... he says with finger at the ready heehee (joking of course)

jdbirdman said:
This may seem a nieve question as you may have been asked this before, but whats to stop someone voting for thier own photograph a zillion times thus winning hands down....... he says with finger at the ready heehee (joking of course)
Easy one. Each member is allowed one vote. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back