• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski ATS80HD scope (20-60x zoom) with M28 adapter, advice please... (1 Viewer)

Newton Stringer

Hi all

Your expert opinions please !!

I am posting this on behalf of a mate. He has a Swarovski ATS80HD telescope with a 20-60x zoom, and a Swarovski M28 digital camera adaptor (DGA)

According to Swarovski's website this adapter only works with a limited number of cameras

Sony Cyber-Shot DSC - W35,W55,W110,W120,W130,W170,W200,W300

Ricoh GX100
Ricoh GX200

Samsung NV 11 HD

Canon Powershot A4570 IS
Canon Powershot A590 1S

Nikon Coolpix P5000
Nikon Coolpix P5100
Nikon Coolpix 6000

Have any birders had experience of using this Swarovski adapter, and if so do you have any opinions on which of the cameras give the best results with this adapter, or which cameras to avoid ?

Thanks

G

I think Swarovski's website is a little misleading-but then perhaps they are not aware of this possibility for their DCA adapter (See below).

I also have an ATS80HD and a Fuji F31fd, like your friend. Many posters on BF also seem to be unaware of the fact that almost any digital camera can be attached to the DCA using one of these universal lens adapters, widely available for around £20 from ebay (therefore the DCA doesn't just work with cameras that have a thread or bayonet fitting around the lens). I've attached a Manfrotto QR adapter to mine, so once set up and adjusted, the camera can be clipped on and off in seconds.

The only adjustments I've made to mine are to replace the supplied large plastic-headed bolt with a short threaded bolt and two 10 mm nuts, to allow greater range of adjustment. I haven't yet, but intend to eventually get a cable release bracket of the type sold by SRB Griturn, which I will attach using the screw thread built into the underside of the large camera screw supplied with the lens adapter.

I've been using this set-up now for over a year and it works brilliantly-only weighs about 200g without the DCA, but including the Manfrotto QR adapter. The camera occasionally slips off-centre, but it isn't too much of a problem.

Steve

Note that the screw thread on the ebay adapter is M37, which screws straight onto one of the rings that come supplied with the DCA.
Here's a link to the lens adapter:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Universal-Lens-Adapter-for-Fuji-F50fd-F50-F40-F31-F30_W0QQitemZ260350124167QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090121?IMSfp=TL090121126003r12193

I can't see any reason why this wouldn't also work with a light SLR or video camera, so long as a suitable 'platform' were attached to the adapter's 'foot' first.

Attachments

• Digi-adapter 001.jpg
    Digi-adapter 001.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 661
  • Digi-adapter 002.jpg
    Digi-adapter 002.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 401
  • Digi-adapter 003.jpg
    Digi-adapter 003.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 387
  • Digi-adapter 004.jpg
    Digi-adapter 004.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 562
Last edited:
G,
The Nikon P5100 and the Canon A590IS will both work well with zooms. The A590IS will work well throughout the 20-60 zoom range. The P5100 has a bit more trouble between 30 - 50 but is good up to 30x and at 60x . Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back