• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron GS52GA-ED vs. Pentax PF65HD (1 Viewer)

kristoffer

Used Register
I very close to ordering either one of these scopes and would like some input. It is an extra scope that me and my gf will use when we need one scope each, i.e birding at the sea or other occations requiring another scope. It is hard on a relationship to only use one scope.

Atm we have a Swarovski scope that we really enjoy using but I can´t afford another one.
So I was thinking about these two scopes. Both are cheap and quite light weight. Low weight is a bonus since she will carry it along a carbon tripod, and I will carry the Swaro on our aluminium tripod (very sturdy in the wind). Also the head and tripod can´t really handle big scopes, like the celestron regal or s.

Both like the idea of a wide angle ep since it makes it easier to find those Shearwaters.

The Pentax has one big drawback, the warranty is not usable in Europe, it is North America only. I would probably already have ordered it otherwise. However for this price I might afford to repair it if something happens.

Here are my two options.
Both options will cost me about 4000SEK / or £370 / or $550

So either this scope with this ep (12.5mm)
http://www.spottingscopes.com/spott...tting-scopes/pf65edaspottingscopebodyonly.cfm
http://www.telescopes.com/telescope...ieces/celestronxcelseries114incheyepieces.cfm

Or the Opticron GS52GA-ED with the HDF 24x or 28 WW/WA EP
http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/opticron_scope/opticron_scope.htm

What would you pick?

Last edited:
Hi Kristoffer,
I haven't tried the Pentax but I have tried the Opticron. I think given the warranty issue, I would prefer the Opticron even though it has less light gathering ability.
I tried the Opticron on a bright but cloudy day in the afternoon and had no problems with light gathering, but I wouldn't expect any in those conditions. It was brighter than I expected anyway. It was with the 28x e/p.
Until this April I used to use the Opticron GS665 ED and from what I remember of it the view through the GS52 was just as good. I'm sure that on a dark day or in the early morning you would see the difference though.
I think the 52mm Opticron is a great scope if you are prepared to lose some light gathering in order to have a lightweight scope.
If I were looking for a travel scope this would be at the top of my wish list. I would go for the 24x or28x and 45x e/ps rather than the zoom. Perhaps with a monopod to really cut the weight down (I'm almost talking myself into buying this set as I write ;) ).

As this post is quite old you may have already made your choice. Sorry if I'm late with this input. If you have already made your purchase, which one did you go for and what do you think of it?

Best wishes,
Martin.

Since you plan on two scopes, one straight and one angled would give you all the options. We were out looking at ducks over tall grass. The angled people saw almost nothing.

I went with the Pentax, FrankD gave me an offer I could not refuse ;)

So yesterday I recived my Pentax PF-65 , regards to Franks packaging and the scope was really in great condition just like he said. He also included a stay-on-case without even telling me. A buyers dream!

I was surprised how small it is, very small and light weight compared to my Swarovski. I bought it with Celestron 8-24 mm zoom and the Celestron Xcel 12.5 mm eyepieces. I did a little rudimentary test in my flat where I let both this new Pentax and my Swarovski ats65hd look at a 100SEK bill about 10 meters from the scopes. I was surprised how good resolution the Pentax had with both eyepieces. And this is with cheap eyepieces, not the XW, expensive stuff. I really "like" the size and handling too.

This saturday I will go out on a full day excursion with the local birdingclub and then the scopes potential will really be tested.

Since you plan on two scopes, one straight and one angled would give you all the options. We were out looking at ducks over tall grass. The angled people saw almost nothing.

Did they forget they can rotate their scope barrels (on the PF65ED at least ...) to get that least extra few inches?

You can get even higher than a straight scope with a rotated angled scope (at the risk of serious neck injury ;) ) if you're not tripod limited.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back