• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beidaihe - Awaiting The Birds Of Heaven II (1 Viewer)

Hi Frank and Mark:

Bit late responding.
Good if can make the Bird Museum of some use; sad if it's already starting to seem a bit run down.

Yes, festival should be in November. Maybe around 7-12, or even later. (Records from early last century even had big crane movements in Oct)
I've mentioned to George Archibald, director of ICF; he thinks a good idea, but not sure if he can bring people - he'll be leading a China trip from late Nov next year.
As well as trying for observations on Happy Island, I'd like to see people having a look for stopovers - some are known, but more observations could be useful, esp on days when weather seems duff for visible migration.

Hope Tian Ma Hu proves good; and that a crane flurry before you leave, Frank.

I'd thought Qilihai chiefly a tidal lagoon.

Outlook for Poyang and other Yangzi wetlands not good:
http://www.panda.org/wwf_news/?180063/Yangtze-warned-to-prepare-for-more-droughts-floods-and-storms

Dongting, another vast wetland of huge importance to wetland birds - esp Lesser Whitefronts - also in bad shape right now:
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2009-11/04/content_8915056.htm
On different note: can be good place to visit, for anyone reading who might have chance.

Gretchen: as to Chinese calendar; I remember back in 86, a restaurant guy telling us a certain day would be "ting lung" - very cold; he was quite excited about this, adamant based on a calendar. But, proved just a regular day.

Migration timing going increasingly haywire with climate change, I think; even if birds stay further north - as seems trend - might still be harsh spells that can prove sudden and lethal.

Martin

Last edited:
Hi Martin,

Am thinking the same regards the dates, and perhaps a week long event allowing as many nationals as possible access? I'll email you soon, but are you free during this period also?

Very grim news re the wetlands.... gets worse!

Frank,

Siberian Cranes (don't know how many) left Shenyang a few days ago, so maybe some before you leave. Unfortunately (for you) at Mohe (Heilongjiang Province)in the far north of China there were over 2000 Siberian Cranes that have just left Mohe two days ago and are currently heading for Shenyang. The big push will be much later once again..

Mark

Last edited:
Hi Folks,

Weather first thing as I left Beidaihe was F5-6 virtually N, very cold and overcast. I'd been informed Shen Yang had no cranes but that Storks remained so it seemed like a chance worth taking.

I tried further south in the general vicinity of Qilihai and all lilkely places between but nothing of particular note. Nandaihe was a shadow of its former self. I used to love the grasslands there but they don't look much anymore. Building pressing ahead in the general region it seems.

Headed back to Beidaihe and was at the res. by 1100. Three Baikal Teal, a Great White Egret, single Daurian Redstart and lots of Rustic and Little Buntings were the most noteworthy sightings. Additional bits and pieces also but there has been a very obvious reduction in migrants there over the last two days or so.

And so out to the sandflats for a pretty cold five hour stint. It appears we are due for a definite quiet spell and so it turned out. No cranes, storks, geese or bustards. Best me and my Chinese birding pal could muster were:
Saunder's Gull - two 1st winters
Ruddy Shelduck - two.
Carrion Crow - two in-off
Eastern Buzzard - two in-off
Kestrel and Eurasian Sparrowhawk - both in-off
Buff-bellied Pipit - single
Hoopoe - one appeared to come in-off and head into Pigeon Nest Park

Don't think there's anything else new to report from the flats. Saunder's were good value - as usual.

The visibility today was much, much better so no excuses. If 'they' were there we would have nailed them. As we were picking up wildfowl with ease beyond the high rise flats at Qinhuangdao I'm certain we'd have locked onto anything large. It takes the cranes at least 15 minutes to cover that distance as they head down the beach. The 'eastern' route was also checked very frequently.

I departed the windmill at 1700hrs freezing cold and not too disappointed as reports suggested it might well be craneless.

Having said that there is another known stopover point between Beidaihe and Shen Yang (400kms north). It lies just the far side of Shanhaiguan and is about 200kms to the north. Basically it sits at the mid-point between Beidaihe and Shen Yang. I only found out about it tonight and I'll get the name tomorrow (in case you are not aware of it).

That raises a lot more questions. I'd always assumed that birds leaving Shen Yang came down and past Beidaihe in one movement - on a good day. This news almost certainly means things are not quite that simple. They could very easily do this part of their journey in two stages if need be. Might explain several of the timings over the years. Many seem to arrive too early at Beidaihe suggesting they departed much nearer than Shen Yang. Maybe this is part of the answer.

"Hope Tian Ma Hu proves good; and that a crane flurry before you leave, Frank."

Thanks for that Martin. Three of us are heading there first thing tomorrow morning. Full report later. Here's hoping once again.

You are so right Mark. The skies will be white over Beidaihe very shortly after my departure - unless a SW sets in again. It's just been one of those years. It happens in birding. Still you never know what we might turn up tomorrow.

Cheers

Frank;)

Hi Folks,

Headed off to Tian Ma Hu early this morning. Weather was sunny, winds were no more F2-3 NE so picked a nice day. Still cold though with many frozen areas. But much nicer to bird in. Took us about 60 mins to get there using the old Beijing road which is poor in places but still carries a lot of traffic.

Got a shock when I saw the scale of the place. It's a pretty vast area with a large reservoir surrounded by mountains. There are wet grasslands sandwiched between the res. and the maize crops which the villagers obviously work. The hillsides are degraded but have lots of scrubby vegetation,small trees and bushes. The river(s)/streams has been worked to death, like most rivers I've seen in China, for its sand and gravel, but is still good in places. If ever a place is likely to get cranes surely this is one. Today there were none but the locals said there had been some there just a few days earlier. How many and what species I couldn't find out.

I got a surprise as we parked up and I scoured the hillsides. It was teeming with birds, particularly Pine Buntings, of which I estimated at least 50 in one small area. There were also numerous Godlewski's Buntings, Oriental Greenfinch, Vinous-throated Parrotbill - two parties, Siberian Accentors and several Chinese Hill Warblers.

The water margins were jumping with Water Pipits and several Pallas's Buntings. Skylarks were in the harvested Maize crops as was a Chinese Shrike. A distant Upland Buzzard may have disturbed the immature (1st winter) White-tailed Eagle that had been resting in the grasslands adjacent to the res. Two rather grey-looking Peregrines harassed the Eagle and a Common Kestrel moved through. A couple of Daurian Jackdaws went over.

The res. itself is so large that to do it justice you would need to work your way around it and thus would need to spend the best part of a day there at least. The wind, although not that strong still whipped up the water enough to hinder viewing considerably. The following were noted in just a very small part of the res. It held good numbers of Goldeneye and Smew, probably both 100+, Goosander, Mallard, Chinese Spotbill, 25+ Ruddy Shelduck, Little Grebe, Common Teal, a Grey Heron and seven Whooper Swans.

This is a seriously good place and well worth a visit in all seasons I would have thought. Thanks very much for the tip-off Martin.

A quich coffee and a bite to eat at 1230 and time to head back to Beidaihe, this time via the expressway toll road. Took 20 mins off the time. Basically from Beidaihe you can be there in no more than 40 mins.

Back at the windmill on the sandflats for just over three hours. Viewing pretty good, particularly over the west side of Qinhuangdao, and the face carved out of the Mountain side was clearly visible for the first time this trip. No cranes, storks, geese or bustards but did get more views of a 1st winter Saunder's Gull plus a 1st winter Relict Gull - my only one of the trip. Thought it was getting just a little late but there are usually stragglers.

And so just tomorrow morning to try for an early bustard or crane and then off to Beijing for my flight back to the UK around lunchtime on Friday.

Cheers for now.

Frank;)

Hi Martin,

Frank,

Siberian Cranes (don't know how many) left Shenyang a few days ago, so maybe some before you leave. Unfortunately (for you) at Mohe (Heilongjiang Province)in the far north of China there were over 2000 Siberian Cranes that have just left Mohe two days ago and are currently heading for Shenyang. The big push will be much later once again..

Mark
Hi Mark,

I think this November is colder than last year, however, Why the Cranes are much later?

PS How to get the information? such as where the Cranes are.......

Last edited:
Frank,

Sounds like you had a good day depite the lack of 'big fellas', a few days left?
I heard about this half-way staging post last year but still think that there must be one around Shanhauiguan. Surely unless the cranes are leaving before dawn, i.e in the early hours, that would be some flying to make it between 07.00 and 0.800 am through Beidaihe surely. In previous years we've been caught out quite a few times by these early groups.. Intruiging!
They will however, as we've witnessed, continue on into the night when not reaching suitable resting spots in time..

Li Ming,

I think this November is colder than last year, however, Why the Cranes are much later?

I wish I knew! Maybe the successful protection and improvement at staging posts with supplemental food/setaside? - I'd like to think it was this factor rather than the opposite .

Global warming and the long term drought in NE China could also play a part. Either way, judging by Martin's link, they are better off in the North at the moment!

PS How to get the information? such as where the Cranes are.......

Some links on the web through Three White Cranes project run by the International Crane Foundation, see Russian and Chinese sections, and contacts in Northern China. Ask Jean to give you some contacts.

Mark

Hi Frank,
Do you see Great Bustard this year?

Xiao Ming

Hello Xiao Ming,

Good to hear from you again. Thought I'd replied to your message last night but I don't see it. Sad to say no Great Bustard this year either. But there has only been one report during more than three weeks - a single NORTH, YES NORTH, low along the sand flats adjacent to the road. Probably chose to fly just this side of the road because it couldn't see the advertisement signs due to the pollution.

Last chance to get one this morning but if I don't it does give me something to look forward to next time.

Cheers

Frank;)

Hi Folks,

Weather coldish, but quite bearable, NE F2-3, overcast, misty. Snow in Beijing, to the north and to the south. Hope my airport bus gets through okay.

Might explain why c.350 Goldeneye, 90% adult drakes, suddenly appeared close inshore at the sandflats plus several drake Smew also. Up to now very few adult drakes of either species and a significant increase in numbers. Very few gulls at the beach, est. c.250 way down on previous counts. Perhaps there is a movement taking place, which is quite likely in view of the conditions further north.

I note the wind is predicted to turn NNW in two or three days time with sunshine also so ideal conditions for watching cranes should they be moving.

No bustard again and little new to report from the res. Sev Rustics and a Dauraian Redstart and then back to the hotel to pack ready for my bus to Beijing at 1300... I hope.

Cheers

Frank;)

Good travels! As you said, you've left a few things to see next time! I've enjoyed the reports immensely - sorry not to have gotten out with you (midtterms is tough time).

Great that Tian Ma Hu proved a good spot, tho surprised no cranes there at the time (or even those Great Bustards - should be good for these too, I think). During visit in May this year, held a few hundred Wood Sands, plus assortment of other birds - even Chough right by the dirt track, around sea level; and we indeed only covered a part of the area.
Somewhere to try quite a few times in future, I believe.
"discovery" somewhat makes up for trashing of coastal habitats to the south - south of Luanhe, where I tried looking in spring, believing that some of areas I'd seen in late 80s must be still around, yet saw roads being built, new factories belching smoke. (Luanhe mouth still looked reasonable, though - not devastated as I'd thought maybe the case. I later had a quick look on Google Earth; should be some more spots on coast, tho the fact cranes roost on mudflats maybe shows the kind of pressure they are under).

Hope you've had a look at the crane migration paper, Mark. Inc mention of cranes passing after dark, sometimes well into evening - on days we've heard these, was optimum weather for migration, and I reckoned these were birds from stopovers well north, taking the chance to really move a distance.
As I recall, I've only seen small crane parties in morning; guessed they'd put down in so-so places, and maybe moving as looking for someplace better, maybe disturbed by people. Still think there's "bottleneck" for cranes etc along coast here, making them very choosy re weather for passing.
Wonder re cranes changing routes past Beidaihe: in spring 85, many were over or inland of Lotus Hills; but in autumns mainly to east of the hills, and tendency for big flocks to cut over the sea - maybe experienced birds leading them on short cuts towards N China Plain.

Here in Hong Kong, now cool, but it's been a warm autumn till recently. Wonder if temps in ne China have been warm till lately; if so, cranes may have lingered further north than they might normally have done - so even with strong cold surge, will take time for them to pass Beidaihe.
Now, seeing reports of snowfalls in Hebei, lingering birds must move.

Maybe useful to note: I've put report for autumns 86-90 at Beidaihe on my website; starts at:
http://www.drmartinwilliams.com/beidaihe-birding/beidaihe-autumn-report.html
[also see links on left, to full species list, and conclusions]

Last edited:
I think Oct. this year was unusually warm, but Nov. has been very suddenly cold - hope it's not an ill surprise for those cranes still to the north! I wonder about anyone knowing where to get historical weather data for this area and north of here. It might help to look over temperature trends and migration movements (maybe ICF does this??).

I wonder about how spring and fall migrations vary too. Spring this year we had lots of egrets and herons flying right over campus (just north of the reservoir), but this fall it seems we've hardly seen any. Do birds sometimes have alternative northbound and southbound routes? or perhaps vary the route each time due to specific conditions?

Frank, you only missed 6 hours of snow and very low visibility yesterday afternoon (finally almost 1 1/2 inches on the ground) - trust you made the airport ok.

Where do the eastern populations of Great Bustard winter? Visited Poyang in late Nov / early Dec a few years ago, and didn't see any. Was told by reserve staff that they no longer winter at Poyang, possibly due to cessation of grass cutting.

Great that Tian Ma Hu proved a good spot, tho surprised no cranes there at the time (or even those Great Bustards - should be good for these too, I think). During visit in May this year, held a few hundred Wood Sands, plus assortment of other birds - even Chough right by the dirt track, around sea level; and we indeed only covered a part of the area.
Somewhere to try quite a few times in future, I believe.
"discovery" somewhat makes up for trashing of coastal habitats to the south - south of Luanhe, where I tried looking in spring, believing that some of areas I'd seen in late 80s must be still around, yet saw roads being built, new factories belching smoke. (Luanhe mouth still looked reasonable, though - not devastated as I'd thought maybe the case. I later had a quick look on Google Earth; should be some more spots on coast, tho the fact cranes roost on mudflats maybe shows the kind of pressure they are under).

Something that needs to be addressed re the developments at Happy Island!
Also observed Cranes trying to come down on the Sandflats, especially as there is a fresh water supply run off from the reservoir. I suppose it would be regarded as a daft suggestion with the locals, but an out of bounds area in the late Autumn could produce some surprises. Have seen Red-crowned's come down her
e.

Hope you've had a look at the crane migration paper, Mark. Inc mention of cranes passing after dark, sometimes well into evening - on days we've heard these, was optimum weather for migration, and I reckoned these were birds from stopovers well north, taking the chance to really move a distance.
As I recall, I've only seen small crane parties in morning; guessed they'd put down in so-so places, and maybe moving as looking for someplace better, maybe disturbed by people. Still think there's "bottleneck" for cranes etc along coast here, making them very choosy re weather for passing.
Wonder re cranes changing routes past Beidaihe: in spring 85, many were over or inland of Lotus Hills; but in autumns mainly to east of the hills, and tendency for big flocks to cut over the sea - maybe experienced birds leading them on short cuts towards N China Plain.

Still reading and absorbing, comparing some data, I'll send you some stuff soon. You do mention late flying Cranes. We've seen Siberian, Red-crowned, Hooded and Common flying low over the SF's into the night, presumably led by birds that know the route. Early Crane parties may be on the increase? Though as suggested, often relatively small groups, off the top of my head, thirty is the biggest during our period.

but in autumns mainly to east of the hills, and tendency for big flocks to cut over the sea - maybe experienced birds leading them on short cuts towards N China Plain.

I'd agree. A lot less birds being seen from the tower now despite forewarning from the Sandflat's. Could it also be an effect of the surge in high rise buildings both north and now south of Beidaihe together with the effects of a long term drought?

Here in Hong Kong, now cool, but it's been a warm autumn till recently. Wonder if temps in ne China have been warm till lately; if so, cranes may have lingered further north than they might normally have done - so even with strong cold surge, will take time for them to pass Beidaihe.
Now, seeing reports of snowfalls in Hebei, lingering birds must move.

They should indeed, but also, maybe further improvement/protection of staging areas and some supplemental feeding?

Maybe useful to note: I've put report for autumns 86-90 at Beidaihe on my website; starts at:
http://www.drmartinwilliams.com/beidaihe-birding/beidaihe-autumn-report.html
[also see links on left, to full species list, and conclusions]

Plenty to read there!

Great stuff Martin.

Just got a text from Frank, he has landed safely at Schippol, and is now heading into Amsterdam for a night of R&R........

Cheers,

Paul

Where do the eastern populations of Great Bustard winter? Visited Poyang in late Nov / early Dec a few years ago, and didn't see any. Was told by reserve staff that they no longer winter at Poyang, possibly due to cessation of grass cutting.
maybe also cessation in existence of sizeable part of the bustard population...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back