• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI Marrakech Area (1 Viewer)

apbarr

Scotland
I'm going to be staying in Marrakech from 8th to 15th October but without a car. What can I expect locally and are there any guides in the area who I could hire?

Thanks in advance

Hi Alex,

I suggest that you should try Okaimeden (Hight Atlas, about 70-80 Km from Marakech) by taxi, and there is a lot to see there.

Patrick Bergier (www.go-south.org) recommends the following for Marrakech and the High Atlas:

The translation of his original text:
I have often given the address of Mohamed Zaki (Village of Ifrane, BP 11, 22450 Tabant, Azilal - Morocco / phone 212 666 9392 56 / [email protected]) to ornithologists wishing to have a guide in the region of Marrakech and the High Atlas. Mohamed Ait Tadrart (BP 51, 42150 Asni, Marrakech - Morocco / [email protected]) has also been cited to me.

The original text from his website:
J'ai souvent donné l'adresse de Mohamed Zaki (Village d'Ifrane, BP 11 - 22450 Tabant, Azilal - Maroc / phone +212 666 56 9392 / [email protected] / www.mgoun-group.com) à des ornithologues souhaitant un guide dans la région de Marrakech et du Haut Atlas. Mohamed Aït Tadrart (BP 51 - 42150 Asni Marrakech - Maroc / [email protected]. www.maroctrek.com) m'a aussi été cité. Laurène (septembre 2008) conseille Samir ([email protected]) pour l'organisation de treks.

good birding,
Mohamed

By hiring a car for a day or by using an understanding taxi driver you could work your way up from Marrakech to Oukamaiden stopping at various spots along the way.

You could see Tristram's Warbler in the mid-elevation scrub, Levaillant's Woodpecker in the few patches of tall trees, Rock Bunting and Rock Sparrow etc ec on the way up. At Oukamaiden itself there are Shorelarks (Horned Larks seems more appropriate here), Crimson-winged Finches, both chough species and commoner species such as Black Redstart and Water Pipit.

Another area with similar birds is the valley from Asni to Imlil: one of the guides recommended by 'Acrocephalus' is based in Asni. It would also be possible to go up over the pass to Ourzazate and back in a day, just about, but a night in Ourzazate would be better. That would give you the scope to look for desert species too.

Steve

Thanks to both of you for the information, I've emailed Mohamed Zaki and await his reply

I've now booked Mohamed Zaki for 2 days in October and will prepare a trip report on my return. Has anyone used Mohamed as a guide, feedback would be welcome

Hi Alex,

just in case you're without transport/guide when you go, the cheapest and most reliable way to get to Imlil is to squeeze into a Grand Taxi with several other blokes. The Lonely Planet guide gives the location of the relevant departure point just outside Marrakech. You'll probably have to change taxis in Asni. As far as I know Oukamaiden is more difficult and you may have to charter a taxi for just yourself. Some drivers agree to lower the fare a bit if you let them pick other people up on the way.

Imlil is very nice. I spent less than 24 hours there due to time constraints, but I saw a couple of Levaillant's Woodpeckers, plus Rock Bunting and Hawfinch, all of them just outside the town. There are a few accommodation options there, some very cheap.

As Steve says, Ourzazate (pronounced 'wah(r)-za-zat') is worth a visit. The lake there is very nice. Lots of Marbled Ducks, also Bluethroat and other migrants when I was there in February.

Good luck!

DL

Last edited:
Another BF member has booked Mohamed Zaki last year, he wrote here a very positive review about his experience.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=1939239#post1939239

Unfortunately Mohamed has emailed me within the last couple of weeks to say he is now unable to guide me. He suggested that he would find me another guide but I haven't heard from him since. Leaving on Friday so a bit late in the day to organise anything else other than the taxi option. Not too hopeful of picking up a lot on my own but we'll see:C

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back