• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptors. bunting etc from Lesvos (1 Viewer)

Macswede

Macswede
I thought the first bird was Stonechat when photographing it but now I'm not so sure.
Yet another raptor flies off - yet another common buzzard?
Stonechat? I reckon so even though there is a lot of white on the breast.
Surely a perched Short-toed Eagle. When I took the picture I had no idea but I am slowly learning.
The last bird should be a female Cretzschmar's Bunting. There was a male present a few seconds previously at any rate but I thought I'd better check as this is another new species for me.

Attachments

• IMG_7165.jpg
    IMG_7165.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_7224.jpg
    IMG_7224.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_7228.jpg
    IMG_7228.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_7248.jpg
    IMG_7248.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_7256.jpg
    IMG_7256.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 222
Hi, more Bunting fun! The eye-ring looks white in the Bunting in pic5, which is a Cretzschmars feature of course.

Would make sense if a male had left just before though I've read there are mixed flocks of buntings on Lesvos in the late summer.

I can only see salmon tones on this bird, and a white eyering, no hint of yellow, so its an adult female Cretzschmar's for me. And it was seen feeding with a male Cretzsch - mid-July is not quite the autumn and Cretzsches could still be feeding young.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back