• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yet another Redpoll (1 Viewer)

James Thomas

Obviously not a Lesser, anyone want to be more specific? Elland this afternoon.

Attachments

• IMG_6806_filtered.jpg
    IMG_6806_filtered.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 191
Aye, Mealy for me, but with no experience of Arctic's didn't know if someone was going say different. A few more snaps.

Attachments

• IMG_6803.JPG
    IMG_6803.JPG
    229.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_6805.JPG
    IMG_6805.JPG
    231.9 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_6877.JPG
    IMG_6877.JPG
    248.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_6881.JPG
    IMG_6881.JPG
    230.7 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Aye, Mealy for me, but with no experience of Arctic's didn't know if someone was going say different. A few more snaps.

I know Arctic Redpoll ID is a minefield but one thing which jumps out from the last 2 pics is the pro-Mealy feature of broad dark centre on the undertail coverts.

Too many and too broad streaks on undertail coverts. Also streaking in flanks is not good for Arctic. Rump is atypical for Mealy and more like in Arctic.
Anyway, light brown color in breast and in wingbar could even suggest a Lesser at least they're not usually found on Mealy.

Nice bird anyway, whatever it is - but not Arctic.

:t:A couple of thing that my old friend Rare Birds in Britain and Ireland(Cottridge and Vinicombe)says is that Arctics have such a steep forehead they look as though they've flown into a wall(a la cartoon no doubt),quite an angled head in this bird.It should have a tiny bill and this bird has quite a substantial bill.
The plumage is loose and fluffy in Arctic,the flanks and belly feathers almost covering the leg and feet.The white rump is unstreaked for 10 to 20 mm and is unstreaked on the flanks and breast-sides with just a few wispy black lines.Though the photos seem to show much of the legs covered none of the other features are apparent.
Its cold look and lack of brown,along with white rump that is lightly streaked make this a mealy for me:king:

:t:A couple of thing that my old friend Rare Birds in Britain and Ireland(Cottridge and Vinicombe)says is that Arctics have such a steep forehead they look as though they've flown into a wall(a la cartoon no doubt),quite an angled head in this bird.It should have a tiny bill and this bird has quite a substantial bill.
The plumage is loose and fluffy in Arctic,the flanks and belly feathers almost covering the leg and feet.The white rump is unstreaked for 10 to 20 mm and is unstreaked on the flanks and breast-sides with just a few wispy black lines.Though the photos seem to show much of the legs covered none of the other features are apparent.
Its cold look and lack of brown,along with white rump that is lightly streaked make this a mealy for me:king:

Keith's book is brilliant!

And he's a brilliant guy! It is a must have if you can get it.

I agree on your words. Mealy...Mealy...Mealy!

I too think it is 'probably' mealy, as undertail covert looks broad from what I can see. The rump is possibly too marked however still within range of Arctic & rules out Lesser. Bill and head profile are ok for Arctic in my humble opinion (eye near front of head) but also ok for mealy, as is flank streaking which could be for either Mealy or Coue's Arctic. Usually on Mealy streaking is denser / bolder but not always. On Coues Arctic is usually wispier, though ok for a juv. This streaking seems intermediate !

Size is difficult to use as distinguishing feature as males can be 20-30% bigger than females in redpolls.

Just offering my humble opinion.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back