• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2011 Photo Competition Categories (1 Viewer)

IanF

The proposed list of monthly theme challenges for 2011 -

Jan - Anything Goes
Feb - Humorous Bird Photo
Mar - Monochrome Birds
Apr - Perched Bird
May - Birds and Water
Jun - The Animal Kingdom
Jul - Camouflaged Bird
Aug - Birds in Flight
Sep - Insects
Oct - Digiscoped Birds
Nov - Prize Photo competition Oct-Jan (theme changed from Birds and People)
Dec - Prize Photo competition Oct-Jan (theme changed from Holiday Card)

The list is subject to amendment in particular in respect of themes being nominated as prize competitions which will periodically appear. Some themes were well received in 2010 so they maybe changed in due course.

Detailed descriptions of the theme will appear at the beginning of each month.

Ian, thanks for posting this and for all the work you do keeping the contests running.

I've had a rather bold idea for revamping the monthly photo comps. Why not let the winner of each month decide the theme for the next one?

And also allow for the introduction of a wider selction of categories as well so long as people use their common sense to choose themes which allow members from all over the world to enter. A few ideas for folks I had floating around were along the line of birds with a particular colour in their plumage or specific groups of birds that can be found everywhere (Gulls, BOPs, Waders etc.) and things like 'bird close-ups' or 'habitat shots'. But of course with the scope to include themes which encompass other wildlife too but members should try to remember that birds are the main passion here.

What do people think?

I feel your urge to 'break out of the box' Jaff! Anything that promotes fresh ideas and approach is good; especially in the realms of how we think about the arts, in this case wildlife photography. The introduction of new themes is a great idea. Birdscapes are a favourite of mine. Or themes related to specific seasons; in particular, showing wild creatures in the bigger picture. Or something a little bit quirky and different.

Best wishes,

We could certainly do with some new themes, not sure about the ideas so far as they've got to be achieveable by members worldwide and in all types of climate habitat - hence such general themes as birds in flight, perched, on feeders etc.

The reason the themes are posted well in advance is so members can plan ahead/use photos in the last 12 months - so choosing a new theme at the end of each month isn't that practical.

'Birdscapes' certainly has potential.

I think that seasonal photos pose a problem as they occur at different times in different parts of the world. Some places don't really have four seasons at all.

Themes are also a bit tricky - not everyone gets the chance to see waders, for example, which is why Birds and Water is a good idea. I agree with Ian that it is useful to know the categories well in advance.

I like the idea of close-ups. Not sure about birdscapes. We need to keep as many categories as possible open to those with fairly modest photographic equipment.

Pat

How about the previous months winner choosing 3 categories then Ian decides which one to use?

Personally, I like the set schedule better. However, Ian could make an annual call for new ideas (or for people liking old topics to say so).

Re the comment from pstraughan, I think probably birdscapes is the type of photo possible with most different cameras, even my wifes G9 (6x zoom) can do that. Close ups generally demand high quality long lenses and is more restrictive of the number of people able to participate (unless I understand something different with birdscape than everyone else -- my interpretation is bird in habitat or landscape).

Niels

I was wondering having seen a lot of great photos in the gallery this year, perhaps a theme 'Silhouettes' could be included in next years list of competitions. Just a thought.

So do I but last week someone put up birds flying with a orange background, late sunset and it looked very nice, so the thought spung into my head.

Perhaps the list of themes held by Ian could be larger so that the themes are different each year, perhaps having a two year cycle instead of one. These could be open to suggestions for another twelve themes that are chosen by Ian.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back