• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2011 UK Orchid season updates (1 Viewer)

Albino Lesser Butterfly?

I have not seen any reference to an albino Greater Butterfly and I'm sure there are wide variations, but how unusual is this? You will be able to see the colour of the stem, the leaves are almost the same colour yet the plant is strong and the flowers very fresh.

Thanks to all for your very welcome posts.

Alan

19/05/11 Lesser changed to Greater. Thanks Rich M

Attachments

• Albino Lesser Butterfly.jpg
    Albino Lesser Butterfly.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Alan

I'd like to see your albino GBO - can you get in touch via email please?

Burnt orchids - Derbyshire plants in flower at moment (so they certianly should be in Sussex), but low numbers this year.

There was an ochroleuca Fly orchid at a Hampshire site last year, having appeared there for the first itme in 15 years due to habitat management. This year it has reappeared but been eaten off by an animal!

Lady's slippers in Lancs at the Natural England (semi) open site - about 100 plants in flower at varying stages, so should be putting on an excellent show this weekend. These plants are part of the re-introduction programme and are the only ones really available to British Orchid enthusiasts.

Sean

Visited Kent today.
Most Ladys have gone over at Yocklets Bank, but a few fresh examples found. Flys fairly common, as were White Helleborine and Twayblades (though many of the latter did not look all that good).Also at least one presumed Broad Leaved Helleborine appeared to be developing a flower spike!
At Park Gate Down, around 50 Monkeys in flower-mainly in the middle field. Lots of Fragrant are coming up, with a few starting to flower. We searched for Man, as did many other visitors with no success.

I found these (and then the sticks put around them) while searching for a much rarer composite that had eluded me for four years (thankfully I found that as well). No need to give away the site, there are plenty (better) known ones.

Attachments

• Aangebrande~orchis-1.jpg
    Aangebrande~orchis-1.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 96
Broad leaved

Visited Kent today.
Most Ladys have gone over at Yocklets Bank, but a few fresh examples found. Flys fairly common, as were White Helleborine and Twayblades (though many of the latter did not look all that good).Also at least one presumed Broad Leaved Helleborine appeared to be developing a flower spike!
At Park Gate Down, around 50 Monkeys in flower-mainly in the middle field. Lots of Fragrant are coming up, with a few starting to flower. We searched for Man, as did many other visitors with no success.

I visited a site in the Chilterns this week where some broad leaved helleborines had recognisable flower buds forming.

Fly orchid in good numbers (although small in height) in Peak District. Spotted a few Frog Orchid's today in the well known quarry near Cromford. Common Twayblade starting to appear too, though not in flower.

visited the Warwickshire man orchid site this evening - good display + good number of twyblades few early common spotted - bee in bud - will need another week - anyone suggest a good site for birds nest orchids for this weekend - preferably Oxon, Warks, Northants, etc?

visited the Warwickshire man orchid site this evening - good display + good number of twyblades few early common spotted - bee in bud - will need another week - anyone suggest a good site for birds nest orchids for this weekend - preferably Oxon, Warks, Northants, etc?

Hi

You guys don't know how lucky you are. On my local (south-facing and very shallow soil) North Downs site everything is shrivelled. Over 100 Man Orchids aborted flowering weeks ago and the Common Spotted have virtually all died in bud. Unless we get rain the Pyramidal will go the same way

Not just orchids, the place looks like Mediterranean habitat in July, one word, BROWN.

To add insult to injury the rabbits are hungry and eating everything.

Don't think I'll bother with my annual monitoring!!!

All the best from sunny Surrey!

John

Plnety of Coral root Orchids at Sandscale at the weekend, Northern and Early Marsh and common spotted Orchid as well.

Photos on my blog linked below

Mark

Lizards

Lizard orchid just coming into flower locally, and now plenty of Common Spotted in flower.

Seems to be a good year for Burnt orchid.

Rich M

Attachments

• IMG_3946.JPG
    IMG_3946.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 101
Southern Marsh

A few Southern Marsh Orchids flowering at Pagham Harbour today.

robhope

Egrets, I've had a few

Attachments

• Mixed 052.jpg
    Mixed 052.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 64
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back