• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NE Wales birdingwatching (1 Viewer)

sounds a good area to go to ,will have to give it a go sometimes ,i don't see that much mention of raptors are there any peregrines to be found in that area 8-P

Totally agree with Huwgo,....

Peregrine's are best seen around Burton MW, as opposed to the Boating Lake area.

There's usually something to see in the area, at most times of the year, with the Winter months being the most productive generally.

No....wasn't me....I was heading for home at around 1pm, but hopefully, we'll bump into each other on another occasion in the near future.

and also....

You were right, about the swarms of Pink feet flying over Shotwick fields, I enjoyed them as well, whilst I was stood by the lake,....spectacular!

Ah I thought it might have been you as the guy I bumped into drove a Peugeot so assumed it was you |:D|

I see the Bean Goose is still on the Shotwick fields. Does anyone knows if it's a Tunda or Taiga race?

Or, for followers of IOC, Tundra or Taiga species :t:

If I go tomorrow and am successful I'll come back and let you know.

Cheers

James

A Barn Owl, was perched on the perimeter fence of the waste ground on your right, which is just before Woodnook Nurseries on Sealand Road, which is on your left, as you proceed out of Chester, at 05.45am this morning.

It was looking very alert, which was good to see, because I recently saw one, which was close to the steelworks in Shotton, which was sat out on a branch in broad daylight at 11am in the morning, looking very depressed, and was approachable down to a distance of only a few feet.... without flying........any ideas anyone?

Last edited:
Or, for followers of IOC, Tundra or Taiga species :t:

If I go tomorrow and am successful I'll come back and let you know.

Cheers

James

Just a small group of Pinkfeet late morning, around a dozen. Numbers built up a little as a few small groups flew in every few minutes, but the whole lot upped and offed once they reached around 70, so I upped and offed myself.

James

Quick trip to Gresford Flash yesterday to feed the ducks. There were a couple of Great Crested Grebes as well and 6 goosander on the far shore inc 1 male.

A nice morning in brilliant sunshine, had a real early Spring feel to it, with plenty of Skylark singing, 4 Chiffchaff, "hweeting", and most of the other common species singing also.

The Boating Lake, was quieter than of late, with no sign of the Black necked Grebe's, and although, the regular mix of swans were still feeding on the adjacent fields, there weren't any geese present, and except for a couple of Black tailed Godwit, and a few loafing gulls, there was little else to see.

There was still plenty of Lapwing, and smaller number's of Golden Plover, Wigeon, and Dunlin, swirling around Burton Mere Wetlands in the distance.

The Lake....

Gadwall c30
Coot c50
Tufted Duck c20
Little Grebe c20
Goldeneye 4 ( 3 fm, 1m )

Hi can anyone direct me to the best place to view/ access Shotwick boating lake-I have only seen it from the main road which is not really a good place to stop and look from..

Hi can anyone direct me to the best place to view/ access Shotwick boating lake-I have only seen it from the main road which is not really a good place to stop and look from..

The best place to view, is from alongside the lake itself.......

From all directions.......

Take the A548 to the Shotton Papermill roundabout, and turn towards TATA Steel,.... shortly,.... you will see the first turn on your left(signposted Boating Lake),.... then follow this road over several speed bumps, until you reach the junction at the end of the road,.... then turn left for the lake.

I would advise, that you park immediately in the area BEFORE the barrier, as opposed to driving to the lake itself, because the barrier is occasionally locked whilst you're viewing the lake.

Last edited:
I never really enjoy this time of year, with so many of the wintering birds starting to depart to their breeding grounds, and the fact, that it's still a couple of weeks or so until the first Summer migrants appear in any real number, and these things together, always leave me feeling, like I'm Birding in no-mans land.

And so it was today, with a couple of hours spent over the high tide at Flint, which produced very little of interest, with the best of the action being a party of Oystercatcher, giving great close up views whilst feeding on the rugby pitch.

I'd hoped for better results from Flint Point also, but except for a few gull's, teal, cormorant, and a Great crested Grebe in the river channel, this area was also unproductive.

Redshank c300
Black tailed Godwit c30
Teal c30
Cormorant c20
Great crested Grebe
Meadow Pipit 4
Pied Wagtail 6
Skylark 2
Curlew c50
Shelduck c50
Oystercatcher c20
Reed Bunting 2
Grey Heron 2

Last edited:
I called at the Little Orme today for a short wander around and counted 26 Grey Seals down in Angel Bay which was nice to see. There were a lot of Fulmars around, one of which looked like it was sitting on a nest. A single Rock Pipit, Ravens, Sparrowhawk, Cormorants and Oystercatchers also seen.

After not seeing them for quite a few days, one of the little egrets was back in the ditch behind Airbus broughton today.
The big news though is they seem to have finished those damn roadworks on chester rd! hurrah!

Yesterday. 3 male Black Grouse mooching around the World's End lek ( no sign of any display ) a dozen or so Fulmar around Llanfairfechan and the upper part of the Sychnant was ....... productive. :t:

Spent a few extremely windy hours at Conwy RSPB today during high tide and it produced lots of the usual waders including Lapwing, Oystercatcher, Redshank, Curlew, Black Tailed Godwit, Dunlin and Snipe. Also 9 Red Brested Mergansers, 3 Great Crested Grebe, Wigeon, Teal, Gadwall, Tufted Duck, Little Grebe and Shelduck.

On the way home I called at Pensarn to see the Iceland Gull which is still showing extremely well.

A pleasant couple of non-birding hours in Ruthin this pm. The reward for forgetting my camera was 2 peregrines perched on st peters church. A friendly local pointed them out, apparently they nest there most years, maybe worth a trip if anyones in the area.
Coming home, a little egret was in the field opposite saltney ferry road where it joins Chester rd/saltney high st.

Urban Birding, in the shape of a walk along the banks of the Dee, which began at home, and finished with a couple of hours checking out my 'Local Patch' at the Chester Meadows, didn't produce any incoming migrants, but netted me a reasonably respectable 40 species for the morning.

The Dee, still held a few Teal, and plenty of Cormorants fishing around the Weir, with a Grey Wagtail there also, and as well as a couple of Great Spotted Woodpecker in Dukes Drive, and The Dingle respectively, (Drumming), the walk also provided all of the expected common species, although it was disappointing not to see either a Treecreeper, or a Nuthatch, (both normally very reliable).

Chester Meadows, provided 4 Chiffchaff, 4 Reed Bunting, 4 Bullfinch, 3 Grey Heron, 2 Goldcrest, 2 Redwing, 2 Meadow Pipit, 4 Stock Dove, a Buzzard, and a small flock of Long Tailed Tit.

Last edited:
Lovely sunny walk up Bryn alyn yesterday.
Plenty of buzzards about, dipper on the r alyn below plymmog; lots of singing meadow pipets at the top; a good flock of c50 fieldfares by fron deg, swiftly followed by a flushed woodcock! On the way back down a green woodpecker was yaffling right in front of us but couldn't find the little blighter in the trees.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back