• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swans Killed for Food (1 Viewer)

Kits

Picture Picker
Article here.

Six swans found dead in a Derbyshire park are believed to have been killed for their meat, police said.

Officers said the swans had been found by rangers at Alvaston Park in Derby, who believed the birds had been killed by humans, not animals.

Another appalling news story.

Article here.

Six swans found dead in a Derbyshire park are believed to have been killed for their meat, police said.

Officers said the swans had been found by rangers at Alvaston Park in Derby, who believed the birds had been killed by humans, not animals.

Another appalling news story.

I live in Derby,and this isn't the first time that swans have been killed for the table in our area.

I am sure it is no coincidence that we have a large (and growing) Eastern European population in our city.

There is also a lot of concern from anglers about the number of coarse fish such as carp being killed instead of returned alive.

A sign of the times I suppose, but I really hope they catch the culprits.

I am sure it is no coincidence that we have a large (and growing) Eastern European population in our city.

There is also a lot of concern from anglers about the number of coarse fish such as carp being killed instead of returned alive.

~~~~~~~

Anglers on the rivers Aire & Calder in Yorkshire also report numerous instances of Eastern Europeans taking coarse fish to eat.

Sandra

For the record, as a resident of East Europe, your comment is vulgar and reflects the reality not of East Europe, but types like you that wish to propogate this sort of trash.

Yes, maybe the crime was committed by an East European, but so too maybe it was committed by some bored white English kids.

The largest numbers of East Europeans in Britain are Polish and Lithuanians - are you wishing to say swan eating is a cultural norm in these countries? If so, I suggest a change in the daily newspaper you read.

I can assure you that wildlife crimes in Lithuania/Poland are lower than those in the Great Britain - wildlife is largely respected, swans are widespread, storks sit on top of houses across the country. The only case I can think of in recent times relates to a hunter last year seen shooting a stork. He is currently going through court and if convicted will not only receive fines, but also lose his shooting licence and have equipment conficated. Hmm, in UK, what happens when a gamekeeper gets a conviction?

So, yes, who knows who killed the swans? Maybe it was an East European, maybe it wasn't, but either way, slurring the whole region is pathetic.

Last edited:
For the record, as a resident of East Europe, your comment is vulgar and reflects the reality not of East Europe, but types like you that wish to propogate this sort of trash.

So, yes, who knows who killed the swans? Maybe it was an East European, maybe it wasn't, but either way, slurring the whole region is pathetic.

Well said. Far too many easy assumptions and generalisations being made.

Point taken, I should have been more specific.

However, I live in Derby and you don't, and you haven't seen the massive increase in pickpocket gangs who use young children to rob, and the drug rings and vice gangs that have grown in our area.

These are attributed to Eastern European gypsy gangs, who live sometimes ten to a house, and who often have no official identity so cannot be prosecuted.

These are the people who would have no problem eating wild birds.

Yes, maybe the crime was committed by an East European, but so too maybe it was committed by some bored white English kids.

The largest numbers of East Europeans in Britain are Polish and Lithuanians - are you wishing to say swan eating is a cultural norm in these countries? If so, I suggest a change in the daily newspaper you read.

I can assure you that wildlife crimes in Lithuania/Poland are lower than those in the Great Britain - wildlife is largely respected, swans are widespread, storks sit on top of houses across the country. The only case I can think of in recent times relates to a hunter last year seen shooting a stork. He is currently going through court and if convicted will not only receive fines, but also lose his shooting licence and have equipment conficated. Hmm, in UK, what happens when a gamekeeper gets a conviction?

Well said, Jos

Agree with you completely.

In full agreement Jos. Racist comments like Sandys have no place on BF.

~~~~~~~

Anglers on the rivers Aire & Calder in Yorkshire also report numerous instances of Eastern Europeans taking coarse fish to eat.

Sandra

Personally, as far as I am concerned the only reason for fishing is to eat what you catch. I have never understood 'course fishing'. What is the point of inflicting cruelty on animals/fish for the pleasure of catching something, causing it pain and probable infection, then releasing it? I just don't get it.
To me it is worse than raising pheasants and shooting them for sport. At least the pheasants will be eaten by someone, even if it isn't the so called sportsman.

~~~~~~~

Sandra

In many parts of eastern Europe, which is largely rural, local people use the main rivers as a source of fish protein. The regulation of fishing is not club-based, but, from what I have seen, is either locally administered at village level, or is commercially-based in fish-ponds, where artificial feeding and chemically medicated stock are reared. An element of the instances cited above derive from the cultural differences and a lack of awareness (often disbelief) of UK regulations, by-laws and offences.
MJB

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back