• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID needed; Pipeline Road, Panama. (1 Viewer)

JWN Andrewes

Poor Judge of Pasta.
Here's a link to a photo in the gallery that has me completely stumped.

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sh...9/sortby/f/sorttime/9999/way/asc/limit/recent

Male White-winged Becard has been suggested, and I've toyed with maybe Black-crowned Tityra and Eastern Kingbird (immatures?), but all of these seem most unsatisfactory. I can't recall the last time I saw such a good photo of such a distinctive looking bird and even after a leaf through a couple of field guides (for Costa Rica and the two volumes of Birds os South America; I don't have anything specific to Panama) remained this perplexed. I dare say I'll kick myself when someone out there reveals its true identity, I just hope I don't end up looking too daft!

Any ideas?

Cheers

James

Going through photos of Becards (both male and female) would also be my immediate proposal.

Niels

Something along the Beacrd line certainly looks favourite, but so far google has been unproductive, and on all the shots I've examined with a good look at the undertail the outer retrices are significantly shorter thamn the others, which seems not to be the case on this bird. Also those distinct whitish tips on the retrices (the ones that made me wonder, albeit very briefly, about Eastern kingbird) are also something I've not managed to find on any Becard shots.

I'll keep searching, scratching me head as I go.

Cheers

James

Rose-throated Becard was my immediate thought. Isn't the ssp in Costa Rica quite different-looking from the more northern ones....so assume the ones in Panama would be similar too.....?

Rose-throated Becard was my immediate thought. Isn't the ssp in Costa Rica quite different-looking from the more northern ones....so assume the ones in Panama would be similar too.....?

One important difference is the male missing the rosy throat in both Panama and CR. Opus also has a note about the basic gray color varying geographically.

Most images I found of this species shows black further down the side of the head than the OP photo, but compare with this image of a female from Yucatan : http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=416607

(I realize I should have remembered this, I took the picture, but I had forgotten exactly where the border was on this photo).

Niels

Edit: here is a photo of a female from within CR: http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=402552

You're quite right of course, but the pattern on the tail of the mystery bird looks (to me!) nothing like such an effect (sorry).

James

I can't be sure of course, but to me ;) it look's indeed as it could be a shadow and thus no white tips but uniformly colored tail: the base of the undertail has a light color, similar to the belly. Then further down it is hidden behind a leave and when it is visible again it is dark, only the tips are white again. Looks to me like the dark part is the shadow of one of the leaves in front. Light is strong in this pic and strong shadows are visible in the leaves. My guess would also be Rosy-throated without the rosy throat...
Cheers!

Interesting photo. Can't really comment on the id (never even been to S America), but the yellow tipped 'tail' might not even be the tail of the bird - going on photos too long for the Becard sp. in question? Those yellow tips don't actually look that much like feathers either, in some respects ... Maybe the whole 'tail' is just vegetation - it does look a bit 'odd'? Although it's kind of interesting that it does match up with the bird, mostly(*), I'm not convinced - there's been the odd misleading bird photo in the past.

(I note the pink bill with black upper mandible fits some photos of RT Becard etc)

(*) the 'tail' is roughly in the same focus as the bird, but I have a bit of trouble in working out if it joins the bird in an anatomically correct manner tbh ...

Anyway ... ;)

Last edited:
You're quite right of course, but the pattern on the tail of the mystery bird looks (to me!) nothing like such an effect (sorry).

James

You've got me James... I've looked at this several times today and despite crosschecking the official pipeline road checklist, and Panama list am completely mystified.

What like a different continent James.. WTF is it?

FWIW, I also thought Becard, but can't fit it.

Last edited:
I'm seeing the 'tips' as just the end of the tail that isn't in shadow caused by the leaves. Personally the yellowish wash is gonna be reflected light from the surrounding foliage on the whitish tail
Still a fem Becard for me

Well done Detective Dan.
Certainly looks the same bird.....which means I detract my becard id as what looks like a dark crown in the original pic is in fact....shadow!! Doh!!
I'm in the ain't got a clue group now ;)

Well done Detective Dan.
Certainly looks the same bird.....which means I detract my becard id as what looks like a dark crown in the original pic is in fact....shadow!! Doh!!

I should probably immediately stop posting in the bird id and other relevant forums whilst on a roll ... bound to mess up big time on the next one otherwise ... ;)

Cedar Waxwing :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back