• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eastern Europe ...Lithuania, a birder's tale. (1 Viewer)

Aaah! Michael that's what the pier looks like under a foot of ice:-O That must have been some sight with the 50 Steller's.

Some great pictures you have on your site too aren't those LTT's just lovely?

D

Aaah! Michael that's what the pier looks like under a foot of ice:-O That must have been some sight with the 50 Steller's.

Maybe my cold snap wasn't as severe as in previous years!! Actually on my first day it was about -10C and on the last on the coast it was +4C.

To give an indication of the kind of views of the Steller's Eider we had, if you look at the pier photo in my previous post there is a wave breaking in the bottom right hand corner beneath the railings. We had 2 Steller's Eiders perched on rocks down there :eek!:

At least he's in the picture... not like mine :-O

D

Attachments

• Jos Photographing Butterflies (he ducked).jpg
    Jos Photographing Butterflies (he ducked).jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 62
Things picking up nicely now, spend the day on my land with the voice of Cranes echoing throught the woods and meadows, seems to be at least three pairs already. Plus the first flowers of the year, little blue ones, and a whole oad of calling woodpeckers - two Grey-headed Woodpeckers were calling against each other in the woodland, with another near the lake by the house, and on top of that Black Woodpeckers were both vocal and showy.

When the sky goes dark, always look up!

In incessant rain, a barn door was obliterating the sky, struggling to gain height. Labouring its way over, it seemed none too impressed by the dreary day ...nor was I, but not all bad, still in the grey gloom, a male Hen Harrier also passed by, a ghost hawking the meadows.

Attachments

• White-tailed Eagle rain.jpg
    White-tailed Eagle rain.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Hen Harrier, male.jpg
    Hen Harrier, male.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 71
Jos I have to say that this is an amazing thread!

Thanks heaps for keeping it up to date and posting all ur wonderful photos.

I may have to visit Europe X-mass time (haven't been in Greece for over a year now). Didn't expect to miss the birds 'up' there so much...

Please keep 'em comming!

Dimitris

Going Bonkers in the Arctic.

Many years back, it was my tradition to hurtle round Speyside on the traditional 'Easter Bash', this year I decided on an eastern equivalent - an Arctic odyssey, a short whirlwind tour of northern Finland and the Varanger peninsula in Norway, notching up 2350 km, plus 610 km at the Baltic end.

In temperatures that touched minus 26 C, the birding was simply superb, the winter landscapes spectacular ...

Day One

Having found a very cheap flight from Riga to Oulu, my trip began at 3 p.m. with the 300 km drive north through Lithuania and Latvia. As a precursor for things to come, the weather had turned cool, flurries of snow and temperatures dipping below zero. No stops en route, but flocks of White-fronted Geese winged their way over the road and, all northbound, a single Rough-legged Buzzard was noted amongst the dozen or so Common Buzzards. I arrived in Riga just after 6 p.m., the Air Baltic flight departed on time at 8.30 p.m., the trip was about to begin.

Day Two

The fight had landed in Oulu at 11 p.m., within minutes, crunching across the snow in temperatures of minus 8 C, we were unlocking the rented car and beginning our long drive north. At 2.00 a.m., crossing the Arctic Circle, it was minus 23 C. By sunrise, we were 620 km north and the temperature had dipped to minus 26 C!

A few kilometres short of our destination, a little weary in the eye, I stopped to stretch my legs and take my first gasps of the frozen air. Stepping out into the snow, knee depth and none too friendly to wanders in the forest, I heard a vaguely familiar song, a melodic flutey affair that I was sure belonged to one of my target birds. And indeed it did, a hundred metres through the trees, a small house had a bird feeder and, better still, that feeder had about twelve Pine Grosbeaks in attendance! Amazing, minutes after first stepping out into the vast taiga forests and I had found one of its special birds - a mix of stunning males and orange-yellow females. I was tempted to take a closer look, but it was only 6.30 a.m. and I feared setting off the dogs, thus waking the owner of the house. Images of an irrate Finn coming out to chase me off, coupled with the numbing effects of the extreme cold, saw me instead retreat to the car.

Minutes later, pulling into Tuulin Tupa, a hotel 70 km north of Inari, my decision to leave the earlier Pine Grosbeaks was almost immediately forgotten. There were more here, dozens of them!!! The hotel, famous for its feeders, was like something purpose-built to be part of bird heaven! Though it was still before 7.00 a.m. and the hotel portrayed no sign of human life, what it did portray was an amazing concentration of birds! Feeders both sides of the hotel were bubbling with birds - chunky Pine Grosbeaks, probably in numbers exceeding 30, were squabbling over the grain and sunfower seeds scattered for them, a mesmerizing sight. And not just Pine Grosbeaks, but loads more birds too - a few Great Tits and loads of Greenfinches to provide the familiarity, oodles of mixed Mealy and Arctic Redpolls to provide constant entertainment.

Settling down to watch these birds, the mega-low temperatures were soon going to be a problem, already my thumb felt like it was going to fall off! But, wow, the birds were good! Never a moment without a Pine Grosbeak, never a moment without at least 20 or 30 redpolls, but soon my attention was being pulled by other attractions too - first a Siberian Tit dropped in, then just moments later a pair of simply brilliant Siberian Jays! By now wrapped in a sleeping bag and donning a Russian fur hat, the cold was kept at bay and, bar a thumb that was physically hurting, all was perfect ...two Red Squirrels had emerged from the hotel's roof and were now scampering around the beams, yet more Siberian Jays were arriving at the feeders and hopping just metres in front of me.

As the rising sun took the temperature up to minus 23, I wondered if the morning could get any better ...then it did!

Last edited:
And here, breaking the long tradition of not posting up pictures of myself, is one picture to show a spot of serious birding Arctic style. Big fellow with the smile seemed a good birding buddy, the blue line overhead is the Arctic Circle!

Attachments

• Birding Arctic Circle.jpg
    Birding Arctic Circle.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 132
Resisting the temptation to ask which one in the picture is you, I think I have a picture of myself taken at pretty much the same spot, albeit in the middle of summer. For reasons of solidarity, I won't post it. At least you seem to have been suitably wrapped up for the weather conditions...

Day One continued...

I had only been there an hour, sat out in the temperature that had now climbed to minus 23, then the most amazing thing happened!

Suddenly, from beyond a ridge in the snow, a head appeared! A large brown head with white blotches and rounded ears! I seem to remember my uttered words were something along the lines of 'Bloody hell, what the heck is that?'. In reality though I knew what it was, standing just three metres in front of me was a Wolverine, a totally mind-blowing animal and an exceptionally rare one at that! It is reckoned there are only about 150 in all Finland, yet here was one of them, an amazing bit of luck to begin the trip with! However, for those few moments that we were face to face, I am not sure who was the more surprised, the Wolverine or me! My senses kicked into focus, I swung the camera around, but he was having none of it, he dipped back below the ridge and was gone! For a good few moments, I remained there frozen, in both senses of the word, hoping he might reappear, but no, that was that, he was gone, my brief encounter over.

After that, I really was impressed with the place, and when eventually the hotel opened a couple of hours later, I booked a room for the night, a day spent here would not be a problem! With the hotel open, the next priority was to try to begin to defrost ...and what better place than their restaurant, fresh coffee and a window overlooking the feeders, bliss! Pressing nose to window, you could get just 30 cm from a Pine Grosbeak, what a nice way to savour breakfast.

Photo - breakfast distraction

Attachments

• Siberian Jay tuulen tupa.jpg
    Siberian Jay tuulen tupa.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back