• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuerteventura trip info wanted. (1 Viewer)

Pie Face

I've left this a bit late, considering that I've had it booked for the last 14 months, but I'm off to Fuerteventura on Wednesday and wondered if any of you have got any top tips. I've got a car and an extremely tollerant wife and daughter (daddy has to go birding dear or he'll be grumpy all day), so travelling is not a problem.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

top tip....
see as many 'forms' as you can Mark...

can't help much more but here's wishing you a successful bird-filled trip. And don't forget to keep the missus and daughter sweet!

estoy mirando los pajaros might come in handy too! But don't say pajero as it means something very different!!!

M N Reeder said:
I've left this a bit late, considering that I've had it booked for the last 14 months, but I'm off to Fuerteventura on Wednesday and wondered if any of you have got any top tips. I've got a car and an extremely tollerant wife and daughter (daddy has to go birding dear or he'll be grumpy all day), so travelling is not a problem.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Depends where you're staying. I dipped on Houbara but had no car. These are plenty of likely areas but the tracks round El Cotillo near Corralejo, the track to Antigua near El Castillo and the plain at La Pared near Jandia will be the best bets. The Courser and the Sandgrouse will be likely in similar areas

I saw the chat at Barraco de la Torres south of El Castillo. Nice site - also had Egyptian Vulture, Ruddy Shelduck, Barbary Partridge etc. There are some saltpans nearby and I had Little Shearwater offshore.

The reservoir at Los Molinos is a must - Marbled Teal, Plain Swift etc. and possibilities of yank ducks etc. There is another reservoir at Catalina Garcia in the south but I never got there. Also found one (unmarked) near Antigua where we had Barabary Partridge.

Some of the other stuff you need to go inland - it was the only place I saw Buzzard, North African Blue Tit etc.

Anything else you want to see?

Sorry to butt in, do they have Great Bustard in the Canaries cos if they do that could clinch it for me (both Houbara and Great in one trip!).

Type "Fuerteventura bird report" in to Google or any other search engine and you will get a host of reports from a variety of sites including site directions and photos. If you add 2003 to your search you will limit the hits but keep the reports up to date.

Bookmark some of the sites for future reference!

Andrew said:
Sorry to butt in, do they have Great Bustard in the Canaries cos if they do that could clinch it for me (both Houbara and Great in one trip!).

'Fraid not. Just Houbara. Great Bustard isn't really a desert species. Portugal or Spain for them.

Houbara, CCC and Canary Islands Chat in one trip ain't bad, but you'll do well to get 90 spp. in a week.

Mike Pennington said:

Houbara, CCC and Canary Islands Chat in one trip ain't bad, but you'll do well to get 90 spp. in a week.

At this time of year you will do well to get 70!! Pity I did not see this earlier as I have a couple of reports we did back in the 90s that would have been useful but they are not on the internet. Sorry.

Steve

Tim,
B*gger, still they have enough reasons to go. Saw a last minute ad for a week's self catering for just £166!

Nigel,
Your trip report with pics was the original spark for my ambition to go there!

Got back last night after a rather decent weeks birding. I will try and get around to posting a trip report this weekend (once I've dug my notebook out of the suitcase), but for now here are the photos.
And no it's not an illusion the two chats really are sat on the same branch in virtually the same position!!!
Mark

Attachments

• Berthelot's Pipit Catalina Garcia 29-11 (2).jpg
    Berthelot's Pipit Catalina Garcia 29-11 (2).jpg
    85 KB · Views: 139
  • Fuerteventua Chat Barrancos de le Torre 28-11.jpg
    Fuerteventua Chat Barrancos de le Torre 28-11.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 134
  • Fuerteventua Chat Barrancos de le Torre 28-11 (1).jpg
    Fuerteventua Chat Barrancos de le Torre 28-11 (1).jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 132
  • Fuerteventua Chat Barrancos de le Torre 28-11 (2).jpg
    Fuerteventua Chat Barrancos de le Torre 28-11 (2).jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 114
  • Fuerteventua Chat Barrancos de le Torre 28-11 (4).jpg
    Fuerteventua Chat Barrancos de le Torre 28-11 (4).jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Some more.

Attachments

• Trumpeter Finch Los Molinos 30-11 (1).jpg
    Trumpeter Finch Los Molinos 30-11 (1).jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 95
  • Southern Grey Shrike 27-11 (1).jpg
    Southern Grey Shrike 27-11 (1).jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 116
  • Lesser Short-toed Lark Los Molinos 30-11 (1).jpg
    Lesser Short-toed Lark Los Molinos 30-11 (1).jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Saved the best until last.

Attachments

• Houbara Costa Calma plains 27-11.jpg
    Houbara Costa Calma plains 27-11.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 128
  • Houbara La Olivia 26-11 (4).jpg
    Houbara La Olivia 26-11 (4).jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Excellent, nice pix, glad it was a good trip. Just seen a week self catering for £169 on a late booking site, tempted to go back myself!

I am thinking the same as Nigel, I can't walk past a travel agents at the moment without checking the last minute offers!

Andrew said:
I am thinking the same as Nigel, I can't walk past a travel agents at the moment without checking the last minute offers!

You really need to hire a car Andrew, though the Chats are walkable from Calete de Fuste and you could probably bus/hitch for the Bustards.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back