• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

English names for honeyeaters Meliphagidae (1 Viewer)

James Jobling

England
If, like me, you maintain a check-list of the birds of the world based on the published works of your choice and your own preferences, you probably also have to consider new English names when species are split, lumped, or moved to other families (I only use the names published by committees as guidelines, never to be slavishly followed).
In that light I have 'created' the following new names for the Foulehaio honeyeaters (see Meliphagidae # 31, in parent forum); F. carunculatus Fulehau Wattlebird, F. procerior Moustached Wattlebird, F. taviunensis Taveuni Wattlebird.
Elsewhere in this family I use Paradise Wattlebird for Macgregoria pulchra, Spectacled Myza for Myza celebensis, Violet-eared Myza for Myza sarasinorum, White-eared Myza for Myza chionogenys, and the substantives Melipotes, Melidectes, and Myzomela instead of Honeyeater for species in those genera.
Happily, English names are not shackled by rules, so I am sure other readers will have their own opinions and favourites!

Wattled Honeyeater

Higgins et al 2008 (HBW 13) indicates that the names Samoan Wattled Honeyeater (presumably carunculatus) and Viti Levu Wattled Honeyeater (procerior) have been used at some time. Taveuni Wattled Honeyeater (taviunensis) would complete a trio of geographical names whilst retaining a clear indication of their close relationship, but none of them fully reflect the respective ranges.

Last edited:
Has 'Wattled Honey' been split by anyone else yet?
Always thought it would be a sound split - like the two Giant Forest Honeys...and as for the Island Thrushes out there....sheesh!!

For those splitting Giant Green Honeyeater Gymnomyza viridis (Layard, 1875), as hinted at in Andersen, Naikatini & Moyle, 2013 (see main forum Meliphagidae), I suggest:
Chattering Green Honeyeater Gymnomyza viridis (Layard, 1875).
Noisy Green Honeyeater Gymnomyza brunneirostris (Mayr, 1932).

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back