• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue Steel Widowfinch? Zimbabwe (1 Viewer)

What about Zambezi (Twinspot) Indigobird Vidua codringtoni?

The Sb Whydah is not in the Sasol because it comes from Uganda et al up north

Last edited:
Thanks Andy for your good objection. Didn´t note the distribution really and was more fixed on that small white patch on the birds flank.
But for the species you´re suggesting the bill color is wrong, what´s about Village Indigobird (Vidua chalybeata)?

Hi Roman,
The bill colour is Red in East, White in West, but of course for the Village Indigobird.
In my book there are 2 species next to each other at the bottom in the pictures and in the description I looked at 2nd bottom instead of 3rd bottom, my mistake. The picture said Village Indigobird (Rotfuß-Atlaswitwe)

Vidua chalybeata indeed; Village Indigobird was called Steelblue Widowfinch by South Africans in the past... hence the confusion.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back