• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dunlin subspecies - UK late July (1 Viewer)

kb57

Europe
Hi,
My first post in Birdforum, prompted by a dunlin dilemma...
I took the attached pictures of juvenile Dunlins at Morecambe Bay, UK (Leighton Moss reserve) on 31st July - apologies in advance for quality.
The one on the left of the first pic has a clearly longer bill than the two other birds. The second shows the 'long-billed' bird closer up.
Am I right in thinking this is most likely our (in UK) common winter visitor 'alpina', and the others are UK / Iceland breeding 'schinzii' which haven't yet departed for warmer climes? Or is it long enough for 'hudsonia'?

Attachments

• P1020124 (1024x768).jpg
    P1020124 (1024x768).jpg
    669.7 KB · Views: 154
  • P1020134 (1024x768).jpg
    P1020134 (1024x768).jpg
    648.2 KB · Views: 147
Females have longer bills than males, which might account for the visible difference here. IDing dunlin to subspecies, especially in non-breeding plumage, is a nightmare.

Thanks, hadn't factored in the differences between sexes...I get the message though - don't waste my time worrying about it!

Welcome to BirdForum kb57

I recommend you do a search from the Search Forums link at top right. Use advanced search and look for posts with 'Dunlin' (key word) by the user 'Jane Turner' (put in user name). Read some of the threads that come up in the result. If you still have the stomach to try to identify the sub-species after reading, then good luck.

Eg try this thread

Thanks very much for your help with the link to some really interesting threads which I will follow up on...I could get seriously obsessed with dunlin, probably to the detriment of my mental health!

Well, I believe Jane Turner is not far from you; in the Wirral area, I think. So, I presume her Dunlin and yours would be basically the same lot. Although the content is not really relevant to me, I usually read threads she starts because I find the enthusiasm and attention to detail to be compulsive (but a bit beyond my ability). A very admirable lady.

Well, I believe Jane Turner is not far from you; in the Wirral area, I think. So, I presume her Dunlin and yours would be basically the same lot. Although the content is not really relevant to me, I usually read threads she starts because I find the enthusiasm and attention to detail to be compulsive (but a bit beyond my ability). A very admirable lady.

I too am a member of the JT fan club for exactly the reasons given above. Her thread on Dunlin ssp has caused me to scan flocks with renewed knowledge and interest, but as I'm still trying to master UK gull plumage variations and ID I've suspended this for the very 'mental health' worries you mention!

Mick

Last edited:
Well I think she has another fan - fascinating stuff. I know her 'patch' too as my wife's family are from that area, a great place to live for a birder.

Another JT fan here... even though a lot of what she writes does go way over my head sometimes LOL!!

Have any of you seen the excellent Sticky in this forum that she prepared with links to the best ID threads on tricky plumages.

Another JT fan here... even though a lot of what she writes does go way over my head sometimes LOL!!

Have any of you seen the excellent Sticky in this forum that she prepared with links to the best ID threads on tricky plumages.
Thanks, no I hadn't seen the sticky, which looks really helpful - still trying to navigate myself around!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back