• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Butterflies, photographers and trampling at Holt Country Park (1 Viewer)

firstreesjohn

There were several people upset today, with what I inadequately describe and illustrate below.

An almost pristine glade was trampled upon, flowers squashed (see LH photo) and grass flattened (see middle photo), in the quest for the 'perfect pic'.

This glade was cleared and planted by disabled volunteers, giving their time freely through the winter months. Were they to see this now, they would be quite demoralised and would be entitled to feel their efforts were somewhat in vain.

Arriving after the 'event', only to have it related to me with suppressed anger, I was easily able to take a reasonable shot of a Silver-washed Fritillary from one of the tracks.

Attachments

• P1490429pse.jpg
    P1490429pse.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 115
  • P1490431pse.jpg
    P1490431pse.jpg
    554.2 KB · Views: 123
  • P1490407pse.jpg
    P1490407pse.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 102
Well, this sign didn't work !

Several new tracks through the flowers and grass were made just along from the two newly-erected signs.

I'm informed that the whole area will now be roped off.

Attachments

• P1490581pse.jpg
    P1490581pse.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 138
Particularly since you can get perfect views of Silver-washed, White Admiral and Broad-bordered Bee Hawk from the back of the car park without even needing to go into the woods.

There is a grassland near me that has fly orchids. They are easy to find because the grass for a metre around them is flattened by photographers!

Let's see if this has any effect.

One of the rangers had to come in from ENflk on one of his days-off to do this.

Attachments

• P1490676pse.jpg
    P1490676pse.jpg
    669.2 KB · Views: 143
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back