• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

a very special day (1 Viewer)

Sounds brilliant!!

I think the Eagle Owl is truely up there with the Golden, Imperial (Spanish and Eastern) and the White Tailed Eagles!!

Had the privilege of seeing an Eagle Owl in Hungary and a young lively fella in Extremadura last week...but to have them here and a whole family WOW!!!

I'm in awe!!! One day it may be my turn to see them...next year perhaps??

Nice one Salty so you did not take your pet Hen harrier with you then.?

Not bitter and twisted Cuddy desperate to see a HH for the year :storm: ;)

regards Brian .

Sleep all day,wake up,look over cliff for rabbit,swoop down,kill rabbit,fly back to rock(with rabbit),eat rabbit,sleep all night,wake up,look over cliff...................
Give me a flock of starlings any day. ;)

Ray

cuddy said:
Not bitter and twisted Cuddy desperate to see a HH for the year :storm: ;)

Hen harrier? What you wanna see one of them for! Gosh..even I saw one a few weeks ago so they can't be THAT hard *whoops...didn't mean to rub it in mate...but hey, if Gill can see one then anyone can!!! ;) * LOL Only joking :flowers:

Gill

rayl said:
Sleep all day,wake up,look over cliff for rabbit,swoop down,kill rabbit,fly back to rock(with rabbit),eat rabbit,sleep all night,wake up,look over cliff...................
Give me a flock of starlings any day. ;)

Ray

yeah, they were getting a tad boring though after eating those rabbits.............. ;) ;) ;)

........blimey, i must still have the imprint of my bins as they were attached to my face for so long! - were watched them pretty much none stop for around 2 hours!

Stewart J. said:
Can you tick em Richie?

Are you brave enough to tell Richie he CAN'T!!! ;)

Can't see why not if they are breeding now...don't know what category they'd come under but I'm sure they'd be legal ticks.

I'd sure as hell tick 'em!!! ;)

Gill

"we travelled even further afield to check out, of all birds, an eagle owl site no less.

now i have always dreamed of seeing these birds as well as golden eagles. they were postered on my wall as a child. my idols. but seeing as they are not officially supposed to be in the UK, my hope of ever seeing even a single bird was always going to be slim."

Yea, but just cos your mum made you take the poster down didn't mean you had to bring a chick home. And I told you it woudn't like Chinese takeaway. How's the local cat population getting on?

Ray

i suppose they are tickable, as the young were bred in the wild even the adults prehaps???

not sure how they got there (or at any other eagle owl site) - would love to know where the young end up each year when they fledge!

Gill Osborne said:
Are you brave enough to tell Richie he CAN'T!!! ;)

Can't see why not if they are breeding now...don't know what category they'd come under but I'm sure they'd be legal ticks.

I'd sure as hell tick 'em!!! ;)

Gill

He wouldn't pick on me would he? not only am I old I also were specs?? LOL

Stewart

PS Can you tick em honestly?

PPS I'm more jealous of his Honda type R!! Sod the owl its an escape from Harry Potter ;) ;) ;)

rayl said:
"we travelled even further afield to check out, of all birds, an eagle owl site no less.

now i have always dreamed of seeing these birds as well as golden eagles. they were postered on my wall as a child. my idols. but seeing as they are not officially supposed to be in the UK, my hope of ever seeing even a single bird was always going to be slim."

Yea, but just cos your mum made you take the poster down didn't mean you had to bring a chick home. And I told you it woudn't like Chinese takeaway. How's the local cat population getting on?

Ray

3:) - still got my dream bird though Ray, that's what counts........still cant get over the SIZE of them :eek!: - will have to get some different posters now!!!

Stewart J. said:
He wouldn't pick on me would he? not only am I old I also were specs?? LOL

Stewart

PS Can you tick em honestly?

PPS I'm more jealous of his Honda type R!! Sod the owl its an escape from Harry Potter ;) ;) ;)

im sure as hell going to tick them mate, anyone fancy stopping me |!| ?

Last edited:
"PS Can you tick em honestly?"

Some higher mortal than Salty (or me) needs to make that desicion.

Ray

Stewart J. said:
Not me mate I'm a wimp, mind you wouldn't object to a PM re location Hint hint!!

All the best

Stewart

B :) B :)

hmmmm...... i wish i had £1 for every person try to get that info out of me today!

Im hurt

Gill Osborne said:
Hen harrier? What you wanna see one of them for! Gosh..even I saw one a few weeks ago so they can't be THAT hard *whoops...didn't mean to rub it in mate...but hey, if Gill can see one then anyone can!!! ;) * LOL Only joking :flowers:

Gill

Ok thats enough ive got feelings you know,my favourite site has let me down, and i did not see one last year if this goes on i will turn to drink, women or knitting fog :storm:

cuddy said:
Ok thats enough ive got feelings you know,my favourite site has let me down, and i did not see one last year if this goes on i will turn to drink, women or knitting fog :storm:

They don't appreciate how sensitive us northern men are mate.

Ray

Hi
i suppose they are tickable, as the young were bred in the wild even the adults prehaps???
Its all to do with a / the population being self-sustaining as far as "the authorities" are concerned. 20 or so young are said to have come off one of these pairs..... They do 'feel' tickable sat on those crags....

not sure how they got there (or at any other eagle owl site) - would love to know where the young end up each year when they fledge!
Open to speculation....... escapees? deliberately released by someone?, we'll probably never know for sure. Im sure i read one of the youngsters ended up in Staffs, will have to check.
SE

cuddy said:

I'll see you in the pub then mate...drown our sorrows together! ;) I'm still peeved about missing the spoonbill at Cresswell the other month!!!

Gill

Hi Salty

I very much enjoyed reading about your day out.

I have never been interested in raptors or reports about them, probably because I have never seen one properly, but since I have been following the progress of 2 Peregrine chicks I look at them and the reports differently.

I found it absolutely fascinating looking at the Peregrine webcam, in fact for 2 weeks my whole daily routine was regulated by it.

Also good to see that eventhough you saw these Eagle Owls you also did post a picture of the common Mallards.

I can imagine your excitement when you saw first one chick, then another and then the rest of the family.

For me as a Coot and Moorhen watcher it is far more easy if I want to know how many there are, I just throw some bread and then usually the whole family suddenly comes out of the reedbed.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back