• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingbird S Calif (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Hello All, likely a Cassin's Kingbird, but very pale - and that was true when observing it as well. Seen at Lake Jennings mid October 2018

thanks
Niels

Attachments

• Kingbird q P1080428.JPG
    Kingbird q P1080428.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 57
Just guessing with minimal experience - but is Tropical possible? The bill looks longish, and Sibley shows a string of records up the CA coast (which I'd guess will mostly be this time of year?).

Thick bill, gray head, yellow belly make me lean towards a Western Kingbird but I may well be wrong.

I have experience with all three species mentioned, and I have never seen a bird this pale on the underside (the yellow part). As stated in post one, the bird truly was this pale. Whether timing of moult can be used for id I do not know (I assume that pale means = old, faded feathers).

Niels

Thanks All,
I have darkened the image (first version was OOC jpg, this is from the raw) and I think Western is the right call. The pale throat goes down the front further than expected on tropical, and the pale malar goes back too far in the face compared to what is expected for Cassin's - with the darkened image I also would have expected the contrast at the bottom of the malar to show up if it was a Cassin's. Both of these are OK for Western.

Niels

Attachments

• Kingbird q v2 P1080428.jpg
    Kingbird q v2 P1080428.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 17
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back