Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
More discoveries. NEW: Zeiss Victory SF 32

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Garmin Instinct

Old Sunday 12th January 2020, 20:11   #1
b_reynolds_ak

Garmin Instinct

I have a Suunto Core Alu that has been through loads of abuse in the last 6 years and is still working great. However I wanted a heart rate option. I decided to go to a Garmin Instinct for my new ABC watch. It is fantastic! They can be bought for only $199. Using GPS, the altimeter function is more accurate that using baro alone. There are some great reviews online for the Instinct. I would highly recommend it. The sunrise/sunset widget is great for determining viewing times for wildlife.
Old Monday 10th February 2020, 09:10   #2
peter.jones
You may say I'm a dreamer.. but I'm not the only one

I must admit, I thought Garmin's days were numbered with the advent of Smartphones, with GPS and mapping / routing built in. However, I was wrong, and they are producing some great products which compliment the smartphone technology.

I have had the Instinct for a few days, it seems excellent. Although you are limited to the features supplied, and can't go importing more widgets etc. it is very customisable, and doesn't seem to be missing anything.

The "flashlight" is the only disappointment so far!

Excellent for wildlife watching because we don't need the full-on GPS tracking as we tend to move quite slowly, and can get by with the less battery intensive tracking mode.

I'm starting to prefer it having buttons as opposed to touchscreen. Especially now I have a familiarity with what I've set the hot keys up to do.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: