• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Symp. danae or sanguineum (1 Viewer)

jonafly

I can't figure out which one it is. Can you?

André

Attachments

• zw-heidelibel1.jpg
    zw-heidelibel1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 128
  • zw-heidelibel2.jpg
    zw-heidelibel2.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 98
  • zw-heidelibel3.jpg
    zw-heidelibel3.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 122
Andre,
I think this is sanguineum as there is more black on the side of the thorax on danae in a sort of yellow/black/yellow pattern. The black on the top of the thorax would be wider in the latter (danae) so I will plump for sanguineum. However I will bow to the experts opinion when they have had a look.

jonafly said:
I can't figure out which one it is. Can you?

André

Hello Andre,
In my opinion it's an immature female Ruddy Darter S.sanguinium.

S.danae or Black Darter is considerably smaller than most of the other darters but looking at the side thorassic markings give it away immediately.

Harry

harry eales said:
Hello Andre,
In my opinion it's an immature female Ruddy Darter S.sanguinium.

S.danae or Black Darter is considerably smaller than most of the other darters but looking at the side thorassic markings give it away immediately.

Harry
While I agree with sanguineum, surely the anal appendages in the last picture tell us it's a male, or perhaps you just had that sex on your mind.....;)

Angus T said:
While I agree with sanguineum, surely the anal appendages in the last picture tell us it's a male, or perhaps you just had that sex on your mind.....;)

Hello Angus,
I must admit I was going more on the colouring and markings, than the anal appendages. When you get to my age, Sex is something you get Coal or Potatoes delivered in. lol.

Harry

The legs have it........!

In a confused penalty box - Harry and Colin are on the ball....!!

Let's be honest - it can be extremely difficult to tell these species apart...

Especially female/immature Common/Ruddy Darter...

Here is a photo I have of (99% sure) a female Common Darter and looking at the thorax/abdomen markings they are VERY similar..!

BUT look at the legs - Brooks/Lewington quotes: (Of the Common Darter) 'At a distance, the species may be confused with the Ruddy Darter. In the latter, however, the legs are all black.'

Also the 'club-shaped' abdomen is diagnostic..

So Sanguineum for me too....

Cheers Tom

(By the way - as a 2005 Dragonfly newbie - these discussions are extremely helpful......)

Attachments

• C-Darter.JPG
    C-Darter.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 117
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back