• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Cock Pheasant (1 Viewer)

Frogbad

Out and about today on and around the Mull of Galloway when I spotted a jet black cock pheasant eating in a field - no colour at all on it, and it was certainly not a dark female, it was just black. I understand that because they are introduced onto sporting estates that sometimes the colours can mutate but I had never seen a black one before, just wondering whether anyone else had?

Last edited:
These darker phase pheasants are slightly smaller and are apparently better 'sport' for those who shoot.

Thats odd, out and about today I saw a very dark blue, almost navy, cock bird. Never seen one that colour before.
jim

The Dark Black/blue type are actually a race I think. Check BWP am sure it mentions them in there.
There a lot of them on the Black Isle at the moment....must be some reason for the increase in release of this type but no idea what it is.

JP

jpoyner said:
The Dark Black/blue type are actually a race I think. Check BWP am sure it mentions them in there.
There a lot of them on the Black Isle at the moment....must be some reason for the increase in release of this type but no idea what it is.

JP
They're for shooters.

jpoyner said:

JP

I Posted this last year John:

"Gamekeepers sometimes rear black pheasant and put them in one particular covert. They can then tell where the pheasants are straying to and possibly prevent it. The black pheasant I've seen were originally developed in France, and are black, showing little of the background colour as in melanistics. As shelley says Japanese Greens are darker (and smaller) than the usual pheasant. They are sometimes released in the UK (I've released them in Argyll) but I found them difficult to flush, preferring to run than fly".

The blue backed birds you're seeing might by Michigan Blue Backs, simply a strain developed for it's supposed ability to fly high.

saluki

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back