• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vic Reeves bird prints (1 Viewer)

Andy Atkinson

Druridge Bayer
A little note to all North East birders to pop along to the Opus gallery
in Shakespeare St in Newcastle. Show finishes March 4th.

Viv Reeves is exhibiting a cracking collection of quirky bird prints (alongside a load of his more usual whacky stuff). Have a look at: http://www.britart.com/show/vr/vic_reeves_prints.aspx

You can buy limited edition prints (of 50) signed by the artist of Lapwing, Goldfinch, Curlew, Water Rail, Rook, Crested Tit, GS Woodpecker, Coot.

I bought the Lapwing but would've had 3 or 4. Another birder from Darlo was in at the same time buying the Rook.

Andy

Hi Andy

Good post,absolutely fascinating. Particularly taken with the Coot but if I had the price of the print I'd rather put it t'ward a ticket outta Dodge. Somewhere sunny methinks.

My nephew Ricky draws a mean Puffin and his Gannet is a tour de force,he's 6 years old and charges a lot less!

Chris.

£200+ for that rubbish. They are about as good as Bill Oddies drawings. At least Bill admits his are crap!

If you know your bird artists you can easily pick up original published bird art for £200+.

I bought an original from Martin Woodcock's book, Pittas, for less than this and beautifully framed by Martins wife. I even know where you can buy the original book plates from Birds of Africa for not much more than £300.

Save your money and buy 'real' art.

John.

Last edited:
Childish

I agree with you John. I wouldn't have them given, as we say here in West Yorkshire. I find them very childish and would much rather look at lots of other prints that are on the market. There's such talent out there. But these of Vic Reeves' really leave me cold. Are they serious? I almost feel as if he's pulling a fast one..

Sandra

:eek!:

Utter garbage, its an insult to the many talented artists that struggle to get noticed. That someone who is well known for other reasons can get this, frankly, childish work exhibited, and, that people will pay such good money is beyond me!

I can't believe anyone would part with money for this crap!

I like Vic Reeves as a comedian & he's definitely having a laugh at someones expense!

Regards Bish. 3:)

Not A Dove From Above

He should be paying for people to take them away..! What is that,the Crested Tit is standing on ? Maybe they have forgot to mention that he did the drawings,when he was 10..!

Hmm... tricky...

Firstly, I agree that there are unrecognised artists who will struggle to get their work exhibited, whereas Vic Reeves' work will be shoed in becuase he is Vic Reeves, and anyone from the Gallery who suggests otherwise is simply lying.

Secondly, let's not confuse art with illustration. Not suggesting any of the contributors are, but...

Thirdly, how many "real" artists get away with producing any old rubbish... it's the greatest realm of the snob I can think of.

Fourthly, do I like them? Well actually, I do, to be honest.

Fifthly, would I fork out £250? Absolutely not!

£100,000

£100,000 for the bird prints alone,not serious art ,or some would say not even art, but SERIOUS money nevertheless ,perhaps it will be donated to a worthy cause?
Brian

John Jackson said:
I, for one, am looking forward to the completed field guide.

Reeves has asked my god-daughter to illustrate any update of his field guide. He recognises that, Abigail, is a much better artist....she is 7 years old!

John.

i knew we had a lot of birding experts in here, i didn't realise we were surrounded by the art experts too.

i love the old "my kids could do better than that", it always succeeds in reducing any serious artistic discussion to the level of tabloid and i always find myself asking, "well why isn't your child/godchild/pet terrier making you shed loads of money then?"

whether you like it or not i doubt mr reeves is that bothered and would probably have a little giggle at your responses and then maybe produce an artwork or sketch based around them. they are very funny after all :)

http://www.thisisthenortheast.co.uk/the_north_east/entertainment/ART0.html

come on then

let's see someone post something 'better'

I reckon they're great...

well done Mr Reeves

field guide 'art' isn't that difficult.. plenty of people can paint to that standard, almost can meself but 'creativity' and 'imagination' dont come easy.

if u can do it, lets see....

Tim

Thank god you've finally seen this thread Tim, I thought you'd keeled over.

And yes Stew the Smew I have a degree in art and for the record my kid does loads better than this, and is currently in New York making a video and exhibiting!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back