• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x20 IS for wind/sand and sea? (2 Viewers)

Pepitogrillo

Andorra
Hello,
On this occasion, since I am looking for a small, travel, waterproof binocular, one of those that is not lazy to take anywhere...
In your opinion, the smallest model, the 8x20 IS, would it withstand rough treatment, would it go through several hands, would it withstand wind, sand and sea?
Thanks in advance.
Pepito

Icono de Validado por la comunidad

Here is Canip's review.

However, probably no one in this forum tested for: rough treatment, wind, sand.
How rough is rough treatment?
The wind increases the need of stability, and the compensation angle is +-0.9°.
Some other IS binoculars can offer +-5° (for use on boats).

Maybe this model can satisfy the requirements.

Last edited:
No they are not suitable for the purposes you describe. These are not binoculars that are hewn from granite but plastic bodied, non-waterproof binoculars with delicate electronic gyroscopes. They are not robust and require careful and considered handling. Methinks you have set your bar too high.

However if you require all of those features, and you would be hard pressed to find them in ‘small’ binoculars, then be prepared to spend a considerable amount of money for almost military-grade optics.

My wife loves her new Canon 10x30 IS II binoculars. She will only use them in fair weather and use her other bino’s, Terra 8x25 and GPO 8x32’s, when the weather is wet, windy and dusty. It would be madness to use the Canon’s (in our limited use views) in such conditions though I am sure that many owners do. It is not a risk that we are prepared to take.

If you do find a pair of binoculars that meet all of your requirements then please let me know as I would buy them immediately.

Hello,
On this occasion, since I am looking for a small, travel, waterproof binocular, one of those that is not lazy to take anywhere...
In your opinion, the smallest model, the 8x20 IS, would it withstand rough treatment, would it go through several hands, would it withstand wind, sand and sea?
Thanks in advance.
Pepito

View attachment 1504028
Pepito,

You have asked lots of questions regarding IS bins e.g. x18.....
Have you tried any or purchased any yet?

There are lots of pros and cons for IS vs traditional handheld, but the best way is to experience these yourself, to ascertain if the advantages outweigh the disadvantages for your personal use cases.

Thank you first of all for your advice, opinions and... patience!!
Yes, I have tried some model, for example the 18x50, really heavy and with artifacts according to its owner, I liked it, not for the purpose I am looking for.
I have access to my wife's second-hand 12x36... almost no skin left, sticky, I wouldn't wear it for a full day, I know it hasn't been treated well and it still works!?
We should talk a lot about the "rude" treatment, each one of us applies a meaning to it, in my case it is not throwing it on the table or floor, but neither is it gently depositing it on the table...
In this case, yes, I know something about the Canon IS, but I ask about the 8x20 IS because of its size and weight. From what I read, will it be more delicate than the models I know?
Thanks again.
Best regards.

No they are not suitable for the purposes you describe. These are not binoculars that are hewn from granite but plastic bodied, non-waterproof binoculars with delicate electronic gyroscopes. They are not robust and require careful and considered handling. Methinks you have set your bar too high.
Agreed. However, I do feel the Canons can take a bit more than you think. I know people who used their Canons for more than 10 years on a daily basis without any problems. And these were 10x30's and 12x36's, not the waterproof and probably more robust 10x42 IS.

However, water and sand are the killers here. The 8x20 IS (like the 10x30 and the 12x36) focuses by moving the objective lenses. That's no good in combination with wind, saltspray and sand. Not really.
However if you require all of those features, and you would be hard pressed to find them in ‘small’ binoculars, then be prepared to spend a considerable amount of money for almost military-grade optics.
Like the Hensoldt Fero-D16. OK, it's got IF, so it isn't well-suited to birding, but that's a binocular that can take a lot of abuse. But honestly, almost any good, waterproof roof will do. I wouldn't hesitate to use e.g. my ancient Leica BA 8x32 in such conditions.
My wife loves her new Canon 10x30 IS II binoculars. She will only use them in fair weather and use her other bino’s, Terra 8x25 and GPO 8x32’s, when the weather is wet, windy and dusty. It would be madness to use the Canon’s (in our limited use views) in such conditions though I am sure that many owners do. It is not a risk that we are prepared to take.
Yep. I'm also quite careful with my 8x20 IS. The 10x42 IS is a different matter. Canon recommends you clean them by putting them in a bucket full of water when they got really dirty ...

Hermann

am very much afraid that perhaps the 8x20 IS will not work for a slightly careless handling and that it can withstand a humid, saline and sandy environment..., although I have read that its optical quality is good.

Icono de Validado por la comunidad

am very much afraid that perhaps the 8x20 IS will not work for a slightly careless handling and that it can withstand a humid, saline and sandy environment..., although I have read that its optical quality is good.

View attachment 1504262
Why let fear stand in your way? The Canon is not that delicate, it is simply built to a lower cost target than the robust 10x42, .
Treat the glass as you would a decent point and shoot camera, those are not waterproof either, but they were at beaches everywhere until phone cameras displaced them. Add a decent case and you should get many years of service from it.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back