• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

9/6/08 - Pu'u 'O 'Umi NAR & Ka'ohe GMA (1 Viewer)

Saturday was a volunteer weeding day at the summit of Kohala, mostly cutting and poisoning ginger and pulling up lilikoi vines.

Kolea have returned from Alaska, and dozens flew around the pastures, along with the usual population of sky larks. All four common native forest birds in the area were around the edge of the forest reserve - 'amakihi, i'iwi, 'elepaio and 'apapane - with 'amakihi outnumbering all the others combined. Red-billed leiothrix was the most numerous alien, ahead of Japanese white-eye. That is all the species I can recall hearing in the forest reserve this time.

On the way back to Hilo I stopped at Ka'ohe GMA on the West slope of Mauna Kea to use up the last of the day's light. I took numerous photos of the small native bidens menziesii mini-trees that are prominent in the a'ali'i-pilo-'ulei clumps just below the mamane-naio forest. There were also some tiny flowers on the 'akoko to photo. I only got one bird count in fog and drizzle, but nearly every resident of Ka'ohe spoke up to be counted. I was a little too low for palila at the 'akoko grove. There was a very drowsy pueo sitting on a fence post at the edge of the road on the way up to Ka'ohe - it was hard to not stop and take a photo.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back