• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few stickies from Southend, Essex ystrdy. (1 Viewer)

KenM

Into the teeth of non abating Easterlies on Southend pier ystrdy.

1st image just got it, before the incoming tide/wind swept it down river, unfortunately caught on line, unsure if it’s ID’able?

2nd image (several) a dark phase type of one of the smaller Skuas, certainly not a Great Skua! The only comment I can make, is that it’s bill looks dainty rather than robust, seemingly showing a darker tip?
Also at the bottom of the frame a sole bird on the water, am finding it difficult to assess size on this individual relative to the “smaller” skua?

Cheers

Attachments

• DSC09590.jpeg     Caught on line.jpeg
    DSC09590.jpeg Caught on line.jpeg
    345.7 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC09552.jpeg   Arc.1..jpeg
    DSC09552.jpeg Arc.1..jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC09547.jpeg   Arc3. with....jpeg
    DSC09547.jpeg Arc3. with....jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 121
  • DSC09545.jpeg     Arc5..jpeg
    DSC09545.jpeg Arc5..jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 115
  • DSC09544.jpeg    Arc6.......jpeg
    DSC09544.jpeg Arc6.......jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 108
  • DSC09546.jpeg     Arc4..jpeg
    DSC09546.jpeg Arc4..jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 105
  • DSC09466.jpeg    Arc6 with boat.jpeg
    DSC09466.jpeg Arc6 with boat.jpeg
    254.7 KB · Views: 124
Into the teeth of non abating Easterlies on Southend pier ystrdy.

1st image just got it, before the incoming tide/wind swept it down river, unfortunately caught on line, unsure if it’s ID’able?

2nd image (several) a dark phase type of one of the smaller Skuas, certainly not a Great Skua! The only comment I can make, is that it’s bill looks dainty rather than robust, seemingly showing a darker tip?
Also at the bottom of the frame a sole bird on the water, am finding it difficult to assess size on this individual relative to the “smaller” skua?

Cheers
The bird below the skua appears to my eyes to be an auk, most likely a Guillemot. I was going to go with dark Arctic Skua, but the apparent amount of white in the wing has got me thinking that Pom might be a better fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back