• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Adviced needed for spotting Rosy finches in Snowmass/Aspen, Colorado (2 Viewers)

dugganjd

United States
Hi, I go to Snowmass next week and am wondering of anyone has any tips for seeing Rosy finches? This is my fourth year in a row trying to see Rosy finches, my other three trips to Brainard lake, Snowmass, and Sandia crest were either unsuccessful, thwarted by COVID, and cancelled due to a family emergency respectively so I'm really hoping this is my chance!

I did a birding tour of Colorado a couple of years ago and we got all the rosy finches at feeding stations in people's suburban yards. We drove or walked around the suburbs of high altitude towns until we saw bird activity in a yard and then just watched from a discrete distance so as not to annoy the homeowner.

The tour guide had an idea of where the best yards were located. Apparently the owner of the house with the largest bird flock had a reputation for hating birders and they would sometimes come out and flush the birds if they saw anyone watching them. Fortunately this didn't happen when I was there and we got great views of all the different species and forms. Lots of other birds too. It was in a place called Silverthorne, CO.

I did a birding tour of Colorado a couple of years ago and we got all the rosy finches at feeding stations in people's suburban yards. We drove or walked around the suburbs of high altitude towns until we saw bird activity in a yard and then just watched from a discrete distance so as not to annoy the homeowner.

The tour guide had an idea of where the best yards were located. Apparently the owner of the house with the largest bird flock had a reputation for hating birders and they would sometimes come out and flush the birds if they saw anyone watching them. Fortunately this didn't happen when I was there and we got great views of all the different species and forms. Lots of other birds too. It was in a place called Silverthorne, CO.
Thank you for the tip!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back