• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Albino pheasant (1 Viewer)

srednap

England
Hi Just an enquiry from a novice bird watcher. Is there such a thing as an albino pheasant? I was out walking in Rainford this morning and saw 2 cock pheasants and what appeared to be a white one. See pic

Attachments

• 20230205_084319.jpg
    20230205_084319.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • 20230205_084226.jpg
    20230205_084226.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
Technically Leucistic (reduced pigment) rather than Albino (no pigment). It would be very interesting to see a closer photograph if you see it again (no offence, the photo is certainly identifiable!) Welcome to the forum.

Shooting estates tend to have instructions to shooters to leave them alone as they act as markers for where their pheasants are wandering (e.g. in case a neighbouring estate puts feeders near the border to attract them over) so individuals often persist for some years. Once upon a time there was a regular one by the A149 in North Norfolk, just East of Hunstanton, that I saw on several visits over a few years.

John

Hi Just an enquiry from a novice bird watcher. Is there such a thing as an albino pheasant? I was out walking in Rainford this morning and saw 2 cock pheasants and what appeared to be a white one. See pic
There are leucistic pheasants, and albino pheasants. Differences are very subtle, but a pure-white bird with red irises is definitely an albino. Leucistic ones aren't that rare, but albinos are very rare from what I get. I birdwatch a lot, and I have only seen albino pheasants twice, and that was in a single area near Lakenheath both times. Pics below. Might go after specifically them some time, beautiful birds!
DSC09739.JPG
DSC09753.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back