• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Algarve Warbler (2 Viewers)

ndsutcliffe

SkyBlue136
Taken this morning at Boca do Rio in the Western Algarve. My first assumption was Reed Warbler - which remains my best guess, but there is something about this bird that doesn't look right for a Reed warbler. The posture, and tail angle seem unusual, the supercilium is quite distinct (but probably ok for Reed), and it does seem unusually pale underneath? Anyway some expert eyes would be welcome to confirm or otherwise.

IMG_8780.JPGIMG_8781.JPGIMG_8782.JPGIMG_8783.JPGIMG_8784.JPGIMG_8785.JPGIMG_8786.JPG

Looks like a Marsh Warbler.

Cheers
Thanks Ken. I am aware of a sighting of a Marsh Warbler a few years ago at Boca do Rio, but it would certainly be considered a rarity. I know they are very similar to Reed Warbler's - is there anything that specifically points to a Marsh?

Thanks Ken. I am aware of a sighting of a Marsh Warbler a few years ago at Boca do Rio, but it would certainly be considered a rarity. I know they are very similar to Reed Warbler's - is there anything that specifically points to a Marsh?
Separating Marsh/Reed is always difficult nds. however, the subject bird appears to show contrasty pale lores, pale creamy legs, doesn’t look particularly rufous either upper-parts or unders.
There is much overlap on the cosmetics as I understand hence the difficulty, that said, I’m inclined to favour Marsh, of course others might have different views.

Cheers

Taken this morning at Boca do Rio in the Western Algarve. My first assumption was Reed Warbler - which remains my best guess, but there is something about this bird that doesn't look right for a Reed warbler. The posture, and tail angle seem unusual, the supercilium is quite distinct (but probably ok for Reed), and it does seem unusually pale underneath? Anyway some expert eyes would be welcome to confirm or otherwise.

View attachment 1473804View attachment 1473806View attachment 1473807View attachment 1473808View attachment 1473809View attachment 1473811View attachment 1473812
Hi. Looks like a Marsh to me too! Tail looks a bit ragged, could be slightly damaged?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back