• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Allbinos review of Canon 10x30 IS (1 Viewer)

nikkor1

Israel
On polish (original :)) site (use google translate):
Test lornetki Canon 10x30 IS II - Test lornetki - Optyczne.pl

As an owner of this glass- I pretty agree with their conclusions, except for detestable eyecups.
my solution to buy and "customize" 40mm rubber microscope eyecups ($9 from Aliexpress): now you can firmly press it under eyebrows without collapsing. You also get side stray lights protection as a nice bonus too.
Great battery life with eneloops rechargeable AA's and flatteners in eyepieces really do their job.
Only after some usage ones can want more magnification, in order to better exploits IS- now would buy 12x36.
Now, I'm looking to buy Fujinon Techno Stabi 16x28: great IS and reasonable IQ, though, not to Canon level and for day time only, but has diminutive dimensions.

Attachments

• M23is_20230725_174542119-01.jpeg
    M23is_20230725_174542119-01.jpeg
    411 KB · Views: 5
  • M23is_20230725_174832788-01.jpeg
    M23is_20230725_174832788-01.jpeg
    256.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 14444.jpg
    14444.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 5
Accept cookies or close the browser? Really?
A lot of commercials.
And translation fails, I do know why. Failure with IE and failure with Chrome.

Accept cookies or close the browser? Really?
A lot of commercials.
And translation fails, I do know why. Failure with IE and failure with Chrome.
I haven't any problems with Chrome, and Yes- a lot of commercials, but my ad block is pretty effective

Only after some usage ones can want more magnification, in order to better exploits IS- now would buy 12x36.
I agree. In my case it was the other way round. I got the 12x36 and (after a terrible first impression) I started to use it a lot and like it. After one year of (I'd say) at least some 180 days of use, I thought the 10x30 should be the perfect balance between size, weight with the bonus of close focus (which is terrible in the 12x36), so I bought the 10x30. I used it for several months, but in the end I missed the extra reach of the 12x36 and I ended up selling the 10x30 and keeping the 12x36 which makes a surprisingly good everyday bino, except when I want to go really light or go hiking (or it's raining!).

I compared my Canon 10x30 IS III with a Sig Sauer Zulu 6 10x30, and I kept the Sig for several reasons. The Sig is much smaller, lighter and more compact and I like the armor better. It looks like it will not melt like the Canons are known to do.
I don't know how similar to the Opticron imagic 10x30 the Sig is (it looks like they are very closely related: same FOV, same weight, etc.), but it looks really very promising. Small size, better weather protection than the Canon, improved "usability", improved eyecups... I'm really looking forward to trying one of this new breed of compact IS (Opticron, Sig, Kite), although by some comments here on BF the image quality is far from ideal.

I agree. In my case it was the other way round. I got the 12x36 and (after a terrible first impression) I started to use it a lot and like it. After one year of (I'd say) at least some 180 days of use, I thought the 10x30 should be the perfect balance between size, weight with the bonus of close focus (which is terrible in the 12x36), so I bought the 10x30. I used it for several months, but in the end I missed the extra reach of the 12x36 and I ended up selling the 10x30 and keeping the 12x36 which makes a surprisingly good everyday bino, except when I want to go really light or go hiking (or it's raining!).
as a "mobile" variant I think Fuji 12x28 should be considered

On polish (original :)) site (use google translate):
Test lornetki Canon 10x30 IS II - Test lornetki - Optyczne.pl
Nice find! Thanks a lot for posting that link.
As an owner of this glass- I pretty agree with their conclusions, except for detestable eyecups.
Well, this just proves again how different we all are - I personally quite like the eyecups. I prefer fold down rubber eyecups over those modern contraptions any time.
Great battery life with eneloops rechargeable AA's and flatteners in eyepieces really do their job.
Eneloops are great, aren't they? BTW, I myself prefer the 10x30. Better depth of field, wider field of view. And if I need larger magnifications I use my scope anyway.
Now, I'm looking to buy Fujinon Techno Stabi 16x28: great IS and reasonable IQ, though, not to Canon level and for day time only, but has diminutive dimensions.
Can you live with the (very) small exit pupil? I couldn't. I personally prefer larger exit pupils even in stabilised binoculars, at least 2.5mm, better 3mm (or more).

Hermann

Nice find! Thanks a lot for posting that link.

Well, this just proves again how different we all are - I personally quite like the eyecups. I prefer fold down rubber eyecups over those modern contraptions any time.

Eneloops are great, aren't they? BTW, I myself prefer the 10x30. Better depth of field, wider field of view. And if I need larger magnifications I use my scope anyway.

Can you live with the (very) small exit pupil? I couldn't. I personally prefer larger exit pupils even in stabilised binoculars, at least 2.5mm, better 3mm (or more).

Hermann
I haven't any problem to use my scope with zoom eyepiece set to the same 1.8mm pupil as in TS 16x28, so, I think it may be OK for day observations.

I haven't any problem to use my scope with zoom eyepiece set to the same 1.8mm pupil as in TS 16x28, so, I think it may be OK for day observations.
I also use small exit pupils with my scopes (down to ~1mm) but I think scopes (on a good tripod) are different. Let us know what you think once you had a chance to use the TS 16x28 in the field.

Hermann

Users who are viewing this thread

Back