• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another obscure so called "collector" … (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
And while on the subject, of fairly unknown "collectors", how about this eponym:

● the subspecies Euplectes gierowii friederichseni FISCHER & REICHENOW 1884 as "Euplectes Friederichseni" (OD, here), without any dedication whatsoever …

How come it is claimed to commemorate "L. Friederichsen (fl. 1884) German ethnologist, collector" ?

Based on what? From what source? I cannot find it anywhere!? And what did he, if it´s him (?) had to do with this bird? In 1884? How do we know it´s that particular Friederichsen we should be looking for? It was clearly discovered by Fischer himself (same link, page 52).

Couldn´t it be the publisher (and cartographer) "Friederichsen" (of "L. Friederichsen & Co", Hamburg ) who published Fischer´s book Das Massai-Land Ost-Aequatorial-Afrika 1885 (and also worked on and improved Fischer's Original map)?

Or was Mr. Friederichsen participating, if so, as an ethnologist (?) in Fischer's expedition as well?

Anyone with better understanding of German knows?
x

Last edited:
Possible addition ...!?

If it is Mr. "Friederichsen" of "L. Friederichsen & Co", Hamburg" ... ?

= the German publisher, cartographer, geographer and Colonial politician Ludwig Friederichsen (1841-1915), who was in charge of the publishing company L. Friederichsen & Co, in Hamburg.

See Wiki (here and here)

That´s as far as I get!

Ludwig Friederichsen founded, and was the first secretary of the Geographische Gesellschaft in Hamburg (Geographical Society in Hamburg). This society in turn supported Fischer's African expedition.
I'm not sure that more is needed...

PS - Mark: if you mean in the footnote, he is not naming anything there. He is thanking a Herr Dr JG Fischer from the Museum of Nature History in Hamburg, who gave him the names of (ie: identified) the fish he is listing.

Last edited:
PS - Mark: if you mean in the footnote, he is not naming anything there. He is thanking a Herr Dr JG Fischer from the Museum of Nature History in Hamburg, who gave him the names of (ie: identified) the fish he is listing.
Thanks Laurent I was confused.

His full name is Ludwig Friedrich Wilhelm Sophus Friederichsen b. 01 Mai 1841 Rendsburg d. 20 Apr 1915 Hamburg

Attachments

• Ludwig Friedrich Wilhelm Sophus Friederichsen.jpg
    Ludwig Friedrich Wilhelm Sophus Friederichsen.jpg
    628.4 KB · Views: 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back