• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone else like birds AND classical music? (and maybe jazz?) (1 Viewer)

maplekong

Well Known For Being Inexperienced Member
England
So, here's another thread. Anyone else like classical music? I started piano when I was three, and recently got a distinction in my diploma. My favourite piece I have played is Brahms' Intermezzo Op. 118 No.2 in A major. I also have a passing interest in jazz, especially Gershwin. My favourite composer is Saint-Saens, and it is because he is criminally underrated. What classical music do you guys like? Any fellow musicians? Would love to find out.

I listen to Bach, Beethoven, Mozart quite often. I went to the opera at Covent Garden several times when I was a student, sometimes combining it with an excursion to Staines or WWT Barnes.

What this post reminds me of is the fact that there are "bird + classical music festival" tours. The following is a random example I pulled out of Google. Not an endorsement, because I don't know about them at all or whether the website is real, just sayin'.

Hi maplekong.... I love classical music and have done since my older brother came home with a recording of tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1 in B♭ minor, Op. 23 when I was about 14.

I now have Classic FM on my car radio (no other channel has a setting set as yet) and also on the radio in my bedroom LOL.

Trad Jazz is another of my favourite genres. Yes, Gershwin is among them but Chris Barber and Akerbilk are more important to me. Saw them both perform at Eel Pie Island many, many years ago now. It was an awful long walk home for me and my two friends, through the night.

My brother introduced me to the Proms and I went several times each year as a prommer. One of my favourite memories was when Sir John Barbirolli conducted Bolero. I think he was conducting the orchestra with his eyelashes as he barely moved his arms at all... only to bring in another section of the orchestra. Some of the orchestra looked like they were asleep, then suddenly woke up when it was their turn. It was so well done, they didn't miss a beat LOL.

Another of my favourites is Ma Vlast by Smetenov. Didn't manage to get to the Prom for that as we were too far back in the queue, so we shot back to the underground station and rushed back to my flat so we could listen to it! Yeah, I could rush about in those days LOL

You would think so, wouldn't you? Apparently you can get away with it as long as you put "birds" in the title. The thread about planes has got to 75 pages without moderators appearing to notice, and now a second planes thread has appeared.
Unless you're me, I started a thread about 'Birds and Warships' after I attended Navy day in Russia some years ago. I was vilified and the thread got moved.

I enjoy classical, particularly Beethoven and Bach, and Handel. Favorites include Bach's English Suite #3 and Beethoven's Piano Concerto #5.

Also check out The Piano Guys, one of my favorite groups, somewhat of a crossover classical style:

Oh no- I'm so sorry I didn't see all these, I didn't get any notifications... but thanks for replying, good to know there are people still listening to classical music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back