• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Asthenes modesta hilereti (Oustalet, 1904) (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Asthenes modesta hilereti (Oustalet, 1904) OD here
Les deux types de cette espèce dédiée à M. Hileret, propriétaire à Santa-Ana, sont un mâle pris à Laguna del Pelado (Tucuman), à 5,000 mètres d'altitude, le 26 février 1903, et une femelle prise à Lara (Tucuman), à 3,000 mètres d'altitude, dans le même mois que le mâle.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds
Cordilleran Canastero ssp. Asthenes modesta hilereti Oustalet, 1904
Clodomiro Hileret (1852–1903) was a French sugar-mill owner at Santa Ana in Tucumán, Argentina. He was known as being very helpful to visiting naturalists, letting them study in his plantaitions.

The Key to Scientific Names
Louis Hileret (fl. 1900) French sugar-mill owner in Tucumán, Argentina (subsp. Asthenes modesta).

According here his Spanish name could be indeed Clodomiro. And it can be that he died 1903

Pero Hileret falleció joven en 1903 durante un viaje a Francia.

From here p. 92 of 177 I would say he was born 8. February 1851 in Poitiers (Vienne, France) and his name was Clodomir Ernest Hileret. I don't know yet on which travel and where in France he died. In fact I do not see a Louis at all.

OK here p. 51 of 151 his full record. From filae he may have died in Paris. According Leonore he died 10 February 1909 in Paris. Here p. 19 of 31 (Cote 15D 219) 15 Arrondissement his death record.

Last edited:
From here p. 92 of 177 I would say he was born 8. February 1851 in Poitiers (Vienne, France) and his name was Clodomir Ernest Hileret. I don't know yet on which travel and where in France he died. In fact I do not see a Louis at all.

OK here p. 51 of 151 his full record. From filae he may have died in Paris. According Leonore he fied 10 February 1909 in Paris. Here p. 19 of 31 (Cote 15D 219) 15 Arrondissement his death record.

Born on 7 Feb 1851 (full birth record: "[...] un enfant du sexe masculin né hier soir à neuf heures en son domicile [...]"; Léonore and the death record both concur). The other details seem correct to me.

Last edited:
But beware that his elder son, born in 1883, was apparently named Luis Elmor Hileret Dode.
The sugar mill remained in the family until the 1930s according to this: in 1904, there was probably a (21 yo) 'Louis' Hileret, who, as a consequence of his father's death in 1903, was "propriétaire à Santa-Ana".
(Edit -- no, not correct sorry. 1903 was listed as the year of his death in one of the link in post #1, but this is contradicted by his death record, Léonore, and other sources, which all indicate 1909.)

Last edited:
I also had a quick look at Oustalet's "Siptornis Hilereti" (in the OD, of 1904), collected at "Santa-Ana", Tucuman, by M. [Monsieur] (G.A) Baer [i.e. Gustave Adolphe Baer (1838–1918)].

In 1905 (alt. 1903/1904) the same unknown Monsieur Hileret was mentioned in the following (French) text [my blue and bolds]:
Relativement à une espèce exotique, l’Apterygida linearis (Eschz.) [an Earwig], mon excellent Collègue à la Société Entomologique de France, M. G.-A. BAER, a publié l’intéressante note qui suit (1) :
« Dans mes précédentes communications sur mon voyage au Tucuman, j’ai déjà signalé quelques faits biologiques intéressants, concernant divers Insectes observés à Santa-Ana, petite localité située à quatre vingt-dix kilomètres au sud de la ville de Tucuman.
« J'avais trouvé à Santa-Ana la plus large hospitalité chez un Français, M.
[Monsieur] C. HILERET, un des plus gros industriels de la République Argentine, qui habite une belle maison isolée au milieu d'un superbe parc et d'immenses jardins et vergers.
[...]
« Dans les derniers jours de novembre 1903, cette espèce ...

[from here, and the footnote takes us here]

Also see here (from 1903–1904): "Je tiens à temoigner également toute ma gratitude à MM. [messieurs] C. Hileret, R. Rodrigue et Ad. Lopez, qui ont contribue' d’une façon si obligeante au succès de mes recherches."

Thus, this far (without understanding French) I´d put my money on C. Hileret.

And note that (the same?) "Clodomiro Hileret" seems to have produced a lot of sugar in; "el año 1894" (here).

Who he was? I have no idea. I've never heard about him prior to this thread.

Thereby, take the above for whatever it's worth.

Björn

PS. In the Anales de la Sociedad Científica Argentina he's mentioned as: "don Clodomiro Hileret" (here). And, far later, in 1916, we find the estate itself mentioned as "... the 25000-acre cane fields of Hileret & Company Ltd., the largest sugar factory in South America. ..." (here).

Hopefully of some help/use?

PPS. However, I couldn't understand which " ... Hileret falleció joven en 1903 durante un viaje a Francia" (as told in post #1) ... ? :unsure:

/B

Last edited:
For me the father.
  • The dedication is to a landowner ("propriétaire") in Santa-Ana; if the father died in 1909, his 20yo son was presumably not a landowner in 1903-1904.
  • Having the collector thank a "C. Hileret" elsewhere for his hospitality at the site and in the year the bird was collected goes very strongly against any "L. Hileret" being the dedicatee.

According here p. 220 of 250 the second son was Edmund Louis Hileret. He married in 1929 in Hyères Amelie Madelaine Ravaux??. No idea when he died. He offered as well hospitality in absence of his father here.

Last edited:
Martin, in my mind, as far as I can tell (which isn't much), the Father, Clodomiro Hileret (1851–1909), ought to be the (by far) most likely dedicatee in "Siptornis Hilereti", even if both his older Sons where alive (?) in 1904/at the time of the OD; Luis [born 1883 (no idea what happened to him)], and/or Edmund (Edmundo) [born 1884, also mentioned in 1913, here]. Nor do I think it was aimed at any of the other two (younger) Children; René [born 1890], nor María Luisa [born 1892]. :rolleyes:

More about Monsieur/Señor Hileret, and his Family; here (all in Spanish):
... Al fallecer Clodomiro Hileret en 1909, sus herederos Edmundo, René y María Luisa tomaron parte en la empresa de modo dispar. ...

Also see here (incl. a rather crude/ugly painting/portrait of Don Clodomiro Hileret himself).

Good luck finding the last pieces (if still hesitating) ... ;)

Well, that's it (at least on my part). I'm done on this one.

See you (all) elsewhere!

/B

Last edited:
According here p. 220 of 250 the second son was Edmund Louis Hileret. He married in 1929 in Hyères Amelie Madelaine Ravaux??. No idea when he died. He offered as well hospitality in absence of his father here.

Even if not that relevant attached the marriage record.

Attachments

• Document-202207-083434.pdf
    557.4 KB · Views: 5
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back