• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Barn Owl advice (1 Viewer)

Garth0

United Kingdom
Me and my friend are new birders and the next on our list is the Barn Owl. We are going out tomorrow evening, we have been told Amberley Brooks and Pulborough Brooks are both likely candidates. Any advice on where we might see one? We’re based in Brighton. Thanks!

Good luck! I have barn owl on my to-see list too. Sorry I can't help but I'll post to move it further up in the new post section and hopefully someone will answer you there! Welcome to this forum ;)

Hi Garth and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Here is a link to our Pulborough Brooks Opus article, which has some information about Amberley Wildbrooks and Greatham Bridge (a good watch point). You'd need to be checking at dusk (and dawn if there's been a lot of rain). and I suggest getting to the edge of one of the footpaths which leads through the strip of woodland on the edge of the wildbrooks where you'd get a good view over the flat land there. But nothing is guaranteed with birds! If you go into the visitor centre at Pulborough Brooks, the staff should be able to advise you. The map links on the article will be able to help you decide where to try and park. Though try the road through Greatham Common to Greatham. It's a long time since I was on that road though.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

(This acts as another bump up the list ;)}

Hi Garth and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Here is a link to our Pulborough Brooks Opus article, which has some information about Amberley Wildbrooks and Greatham Bridge (a good watch point). You'd need to be checking at dusk (and dawn if there's been a lot of rain). and I suggest getting to the edge of one of the footpaths which leads through the strip of woodland on the edge of the wildbrooks where you'd get a good view over the flat land there. But nothing is guaranteed with birds! If you go into the visitor centre at Pulborough Brooks, the staff should be able to advise you. The map links on the article will be able to help you decide where to try and park. Though try the road through Greatham Common to Greatham. It's a long time since I was on that road though.

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks so much this is perfect information, exactly what we need! We had no luck that evening. We ended up taking a lovely walk around Amberley. Lots of Swifts, raptors and a very charming Coot and their young in a pond by the castle. Thanks again for taking the time, looking forward to Greatham Bridge next I think!

Me and my friend are new birders and the next on our list is the Barn Owl. We are going out tomorrow evening, we have been told Amberley Brooks and Pulborough Brooks are both likely candidates. Any advice on where we might see one? We’re based in Brighton. Thanks!
Start by checking reported sightings. If you can determine the location of a nest in a barn or in a barn owl box then you can wait nearby (outside) at dusk for them to emerge for their nightly hunt.

The Cornell Merlin bird sound identification app helps to verify that you are hearing a barn owl and not some other owl when outdoors. We get barn owls, screetch owls, and on rare occasions a great horned owl on our property.

Start by checking reported sightings. If you can determine the location of a nest in a barn or in a barn owl box then you can wait nearby (outside) at dusk for them to emerge for their nightly hunt.

The Cornell Merlin bird sound identification app helps to verify that you are hearing a barn owl and not some other owl when outdoors. We get barn owls, screetch owls, and on rare occasions a great horned owl on our property.
Thanks a lot that’s great info! We shall try to do that next time! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back