• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BBC: The Hunt (1 Viewer)

Telephoto Paul

The next prestige nature series from the BBC, The Hunt is fast approaching...

whoever is responsible for the BBC press releases said:
The contests between predators and prey are the most dramatic events in nature. For both sides, it’s a matter of life and death.

Narrated by Sir David Attenborough and made by Alastair Fothergill (Blue Planet, Planet Earth, Frozen Planet) and Huw Cordey (Planet Earth, South Pacific), The Hunt will reveal, as never before, the difficulties predators face in catching their prey. They encounter many challenges in their lives, but the most defining, supported by statistics, is this: most hunts fail.

Predators must not only overcome the significant defences of their prey but also the unique challenges of their habitats. How do you get close to your prey on the open plain, where there’s nowhere to hide? How do you even find your prey when you live in a thick forest? How do you cope when the world beneath your feet melts away every summer as it does in the Arctic? Survival depends on many skills – speed, stealth, stamina, strength, ingenuity, and teamwork – but it’s how these are applied that makes the difference between success and failure, life and death.

30 page press pack

Seven episodes, with the first this sunday.

The trailer has successful wet my appetite...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0342j63/preview-the-hunt-trailer

Another superb programme with many highlights. Opening with the leopard hunting was inspired! I was very impressed by the underwater footage of the killer whales hunting the humpback whales - don't know if someone was brave enough to get in the water or if they used a camera on a pole, but the footage was breathtaking. I also really enjoyed watching the spider spanning the river with its thread of silk.

Loved this programme programme tonight and I am looking forward to the next 6 parts (1 hour each)

The part with the gathering of so many Falcons in one place was spectacular to see wow... o:)

Ok, some amazing footage tonight, all highly commendable, enjoyable, informative, brilliantly conceived, executed and delivered, but I can't help but wonder, as I watch the "making of" section at the end of the show - who writes the Risk Assessments? I mean we're not talking trip hazards, eye strain and RSI here. Strewth! Hypothermia's the least of it! Hats off to the BBC.

James

Wow, second episode was outstanding. The shots of the polar bear 300 m up the cliff - one of the best things I've ever seen on TV!

I really enjoyed last night, and it got me to the edge of my seat as I watched the winter Arctic Hares being chased by Wolfs in packs, and other creatures who needed to eat to survive...what teamwork!

The Hares and their ability to run really fast - 40mph amazing creatures

The Little Auk... what superb parents to take their youngsters on their first flying lesson, support them and give them encouragement to fly (or float in their case) as they landed in the sea.
Sadly, some chicks landed away from the water and they got the worst of being preyed on by all predators of all shapes and sizes

The Polar Bear eating al the bird eggs on the edge of the cliff was sad to watch but all part of nature - shows how clever Polar Bears are for finding their food source.

The Phalarope chicks - they went off the radar for cutness - all legs and little body fluff.

Looking forward to the next part...a lot :-O:-O:-O

Already counting the days for the Blurays to appear on Amazon!!!!

I've purchased almost all of the available David Attenborough documentaries and these late ones from Blue Planet, even though Sir David is not the main author, are still real gems. There is some some more emphasis on beautiful images than in the older programmes, but the scientific content is still great.

I did enjoy it when they let the sequence play out of the polar bear trying to sneak up seal but getting slightly lost in the ice maze.

I must admit I did think that scene of the polar bear trying to sneak up on the seal was merely clever editing - lots of individual shots put together to build a story. Right at the end they had the fade to black moment too - I don't think they wanted to face the uproar if they showed what was about to happen.

Lots of good stuff (some truly exceptional) last night and in previous episodes but I'm not sure of the value of eight weeks flogging around trying to get two seconds of Tiger kill footage.
Russ

It's eight weeks of India, better than the boring routine of eight weeks commuting to and from work every day.

The sparrowhawk v jays scenes were shot in Norway by John Aitchison.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back