• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best birding lodge near Bogota (3 Viewers)

Eildert

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could advise me what the best birding lodge is near Bogota. I am looking for a place that is interesting, versatile, and comfortable enough to spend 5-6 days of relaxed birding. Many thanks in advance for your help!
Eildert

Unfortunately, there isn't really anything in the way of actual birding lodges around Bogota. If you have that sort of time I would strongly one of the following:

-flying on to Cali (internal flights are pretty cheap and don't take long) and go to the Araucana Lodge. That will give you access to a whole host of different birding options within an hour of the lodge covering a good variety of habitats and elevations, and some great feeder setups for hummingbirds, tanagers etc if that is your thing.

-A 3-3.5 hour drive from Bogota can get you to Villavicencio where you can stay at the fairly basic Rancho Camana, which gives you access to Amazonian foothills, the llanos (savannah/dry gallery forest/water bodies) and you can bird the higher and middle elevations en route.

- Fly to Santa Marta and go to El Dorado Lodge/Minca. El dorado offers more birding right from your front door than the other two options, but you will likely hit less variety (though many more endemics)

As a general rule, I find birding around Bogota rather tedious in that most sites are a ~2hr drive minimum and you spend a good chink of your time beginning and end of day sitting in traffic. It's one thing if you only have 1-2 days and not worth going elsewhere but with the kind of time you indicate you have I would advise one of the above options.

I realize this doesn't necessarily answer your question but hopefully it is helpful.

Right around Bogota, perhaps the closest you could get to a Birding Lodge would be Chicaque Natural Park which has some accommodation in the lower section. I've not birded the lower part though, just around the upper parking area/restaurant/entrance road and upper part of the trail network. Note, the trails are very steep though maybe there are more accommodating options around the lower par of the park(?).

Another alternative would be to just book an airbnb type thing out in the countryside west of the city around Tena, Fusagasuga etc. Usually, reasonably good birding in the mix of plantations and forest patches.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back